Update Radio to Newest Version (does NOT require root)

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
This was just related to me. This is the best link for the easiest way to update the radio on the phone. This adds the Droid visual sequence, wifi hotspot (will have to pay for this one), 720p video and whatever else was supposed to be included on the first OTA that was stopped.

Follow this link for the file and directions. It also covers getting all the way into the phone to set up rooting but all I personally wanted was the radio update at this time, still not comfortable rooting.

Droid Incredible Froyo 2.2 Leaked OTA version

This does NOT involve any rooting whatsoever. Just follow the directions EXACTLY and you should be fine. Mine worked without a problem. Just remember, when yous tart the process and it starts working, DO NOT TOUCH IT! Let it run its course and install all of the software or you run the risk of damaging the phone.

Again, this is specifically targeted at nonroot users like me that do want the newest radio but do not want to root.

Further, this will NOT prevent you from receiving the new OTA's as they come down the line. Nor should you have to backtrack on your radio version when the new OTA comes down the line. At least that is what I was informed of.

ezrider55

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V30
Instructions for non rooted ?

The poster updated the instructions and if followed I think non rooted will end up rooted. If I am correct can you post instructions so as not to become rooted ?

OP
jkhonea

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I should clarify. To stay unrooted, just stop after the radio update step. In other words, when your Droid reboots with the new Droid animation sequence, that's all you need. Just stop there and you won't be rooted. You're not rooted until you move to the installing of unrevoked and clockwork.

So basically, on the unrooted install instructions, stop after you finish step 3 and you're good to go.

But I must warn again, when this process starts, let it run its course. Do NOT interfere with it as you can cause problems with the phone.

ezrider55

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V30
! more question

In the thread someone stated their reception was better. Did you find this was true ? db before and after ?

OP
jkhonea

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Not sure. It seems like it might be, but not positive yet. I didn't finish the install till about 3 Eastern Standard (yeah, about an hour ago), and my brain is fried. I never had horrible reception, to tell you the truth, but better is fine, too. I've heard some rumblings that this might help with the battery prior to Froyo. That's one of the biggest things I'm hoping for. I can tell you more about the radio later today, but sitting here now, does seem to be a slight improvement.

Sounds dumb, but I gotta admit, I'm liking the new Droid video that loads at the phone powering on. Pretty slick. Just like the commercial. (Hey, doesn't take much to amuse me these days, what can I say?) :D

ezrider55

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V30
Thanks

I am " older than dirt " and have some important calls later today so will try late tonight. I have already set up DROOOOID as my notification sound.

No problem. I will probably be on if you have any questions. Plus, we should be getting the 2.2 release very soon. Like possibly a couple of days.

ezrider55

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V30
jkhonea

Did u see any of the probs. listed over at the original thread ? In the last entry by kevdogg4 it says u must rename and move over 'update' not update.zip

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The file should be named update.zip

The other poster is probably saying to name it "update" as most normal Windows machines don't show file ext. That way you'll have an "update.zip"

If you PC doesn't show file extstensions naming in update.zip will cause to actually be a update.zip.zip and your recovery will not be able to locate it.

OP
jkhonea

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Sorry, I was out for a bit this morning, but Doug nailed the answer. Yes, you rename it to update. Do NOT name it update.zip as that will actually name it update.zip.zip. Bad thing. As far as problems, nope, not a one. And I also did not have to reset or reprogram my phone. It came right back up working just fine.

OP
jkhonea

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
That branches into a different discussion about rooting. You have to root to do that step. I didn't go that far. The radio was the primary thing I wanted. There are a few other threads on here and the Incredible forum devoted to specifically how to root the Incredible.

davisa

Reaction score
ok thanks. i decided to just root it and it was easier than i thought it would be. now i just cant some things on it that were listed as new.

profile widgets and genie widget

that HTC Flashlite is exactly what everyone has been waiting for!

orangepeel

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals did this help the radio? I own a D1,but my wife wants the Incredible (she has a Storm so need I say anymore) I have one thing stopping me from getting it and that is I have heard of reception problems that aren't as good as the Droid. I don't get very good reception with my Droid buy it's just barely good enough.I'm hoping a good this radio change will put it back on par with Moto Droid??

I'm hoping some guys have had time to test it out by now.

Thanks in advance,and sorry for making a short story long,:icon_eek: