unusable phone?

Janet1025

Reaction score
here's my tips (i do not have a pro, but i've been using android for the past 13 months):

1. Go to settings/wireless & networks/mobile networks/enable always-on data. Uncheck always on data. Your phone will still receive email, text, & phone calls as before as well as internet usage but your battery will last a lot longer.

2. Emails: I don't know what email app he uses, but have him try this. It saves battery power and in some cases gets his emails to him quicker. This scheme will have him using only the gmail app on the phone for all his email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or gmail. Go to the google gmail inbox on his computer and log into his gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an options called settings. In there is an option to have the gmail program poll his regular, non-gmail accounts. He provides the email address and the password. The google gmail program will then poll his other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to his phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. It will always be at least every five minutes. This saves battery power because on the android os with pop3 accounts they are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.

3. If you are using live wall papers, stop!

4. Use wifi any time it is available. It uses a lot less power than 3g and it is much faster.

5. If there are widgets on any of the screens that automatically update (facebook, weather, etc.) change their update frequency in their settings menu. Set them to 30mins or 1 hour.

6. Oh, almost forgot, get the extended battery from verizon.

7. Turn off the gps unless you are actually using it. There are some background apps that can burn a lot of power via a live gps.

8. The power control widget is a good tool for easily turning on and off some of these features (gps, wifi, screen brightness, etc.).

9. Get screebl. It will turn your phone off anytime you are not actively using it.

10. If you have either a task killer or an anti-virus app, uninstall. Your phone needs neither.

That's all i can think of right now. :)

hope some of this helps. Good luck with your phone.

i am sure those are all good suggestions but why should we have to get a phone then dumb it down to work correctly?

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i've tried making some tweaks this morning - overall phone lasted about 5 hours unplugged. Its charging now, and i'll see if i've made much of a difference

If this was happening to my phone and I had tried the things mentioned earlier, I would do a factory hard reset and then add the apps back in one at a time. I would find the app(s) that are causing this issue.

jhalsey205

Reaction score
There are a number of things that can be done to dramatically improve battery life, including
-extended battery
-change phone radio from global to cdma
-screebl (pro)
-root droid via z4 (which will support important tweaks)
-setcpu; create profile to scale down when screen is off
-titanium restore, freeze or uninstall junkware

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB-v1.0.0b2 using DroidForums App

spillner

Reaction score
My dad owned this phone for a week before returning it for a Black Berry. He needed to charge it 2x a day with minimal use, that is unacceptable. He didn't even install any apps yet.

OP
S

smileygladhands

Reaction score
it can't be apps that are causing it, because i haven't downloaded any apps!

and why should i have to drop $50 on an "extended battery"? a phone should at least be able to last 8 hours without plugging in.

i've dumbed it down about as much as i can. Brightness is at about 10%, i deleted 2 email accounts, removed facebook, shut off news and weather.

My usage consists of virtually no phone calls. And i usually don't send emails over it either. Its just sitting next to me at my desk, and it still can't get past 5 hours. All its doing is receiving emails.

What i'm hearing is this is a great phone, but most of the cool stuff needs to be turned off to make is actually useable. And even after doing that, I still can't hit the 6 hour mark!!

jhalsey205

Reaction score
it can't be apps that are causing it, because i haven't downloaded any apps!

Plenty of things are running in the backgroud ... like
Backup assistant
Social Messaging / Social Messaging Service
Social Networking
Social Sharing
Social Status
Voice Commands
Weather 2.2

and more. I have frozen or deleted via Titanium so it no longer runs in the background

OP
S

smileygladhands

Reaction score
gave it the old college try, but just could not figure out how to make the battery life even hit 6 hours unplugged.

Shipped it back today, likely going with the blackberry bold.