Battery life question

Arsonman

Reaction score
Since unplugged this morning I am down to 74% battery.

2h 36m unplugged time

Display 58%
Cell Standby 17%
Phone Idle 15%
Android system 4%
Android OS 2%
Internet 2%
Handcent 2%

Screen brightness is at 20

Non-rooted thunderbolt. Thats it. What is killing this battery? I have the verizon extended battery also.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
dial *228 and press 2. should take a minute or two, it may or may not reboot your phone.

To clarify this only updates the list of towers your phone 'knows' it can connect to. This doesnt change much of anything at all. If you notice you have decent signal strength in your area I bet updating the roaming wont have any effect

draexo

Reaction score
Update roaming.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

I'm sorry I don't understand this.

Sorry. I will explain
My phone was eating battery when I first got it from Verizon. I could not figure it out so I posted on the forums like you have. Turns out my cell standby was in the high 40% range. Yours is 17%, but that seems too high to me if you have not been using your phone. It was suggested to me that I update my roaming by dialing *228. Listen to the prompts and select the "update roaming". This really helped me.

Also, and maybe someone else can clarify, I think you need to reset your battery stats when you put an extended battery in. There is an app to do this, it is called BatteryCalibration, but I suspect you need to be rooted to use this app.

Right now, I have been on my phone on the forums, checking email, etc, and I am still at 100%. Here is my battery stats for the last 90 minutes.

OP
Arsonman

Arsonman

Reaction score
dial *228 and press 2. should take a minute or two, it may or may not reboot your phone.

To clarify this only updates the list of towers your phone 'knows' it can connect to. This doesnt change much of anything at all. If you notice you have decent signal strength in your area I bet updating the roaming wont have any effect

I read that you should not do the *228 from the Thunderbolt because of the sim card.

draexo

Reaction score

I read that you should not do the *228 from the Thunderbolt because of the sim card.

Sorry, I do not know what to tell you on this, I had a Global that this worked wonders on and it has a type of SIM card. I would barely make it 12 hours on my Global with little use - until I did the *228. Did not have this problem with my X at all, but it was a huge difference for my Global.

It could be that you need to calibrate your battery.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

*228 is blocked on the Tbolt so you won't hurt it if you tried to do it.

Make sure the battery cover is secured.

Non Thunderbolt owners should not be giving advice to a device they don't own.

draexo

Reaction score

*228 is blocked on the Tbolt so you won't hurt it if you tried to do it.

Make sure the battery cover is secured.

Non Thunderbolt owners should not be giving advice to a device they don't own.

Ouch! But you are correct. I have only had the Global and X.

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score

2h 36m unplugged time

Display 58%
Cell Standby 17%
Phone Idle 15%
Android system 4%
Android OS 2%
Internet 2%
Handcent 2%

Non-rooted thunderbolt. Thats it. What is killing this battery? I have the verizon extended battery also.

That sounds like normal TB battery usage. That's just how the phone is.

Beardface

Reaction score

2h 36m unplugged time

Display 58%
Cell Standby 17%
Phone Idle 15%
Android system 4%
Android OS 2%
Internet 2%
Handcent 2%

That sounds like normal TB battery usage. That's just how the phone is.
Normal for the stock phone, yes. Not normal for a stock phone with the Verizon sanctioned extended battery.

I know there is a bigger drain on the battery with 4G than 3G, but I can easily go at least a day and a half with a full charge with the Extended battery with medium use, even in 3G data. With WiFi, the thing could likely go 3-4 days.

One thing to consider... How long has the screen been on during this time? Yes, it will be the biggest drain, and thats a given due to its size. Looks to me like it could have been on for the majority of the time.

Right now I'm sitting at the following:

14hrs 30min since unplugged - Battery Level 49%
Voice Calls - 46% (1h 29m 41s)
Display - 39% (2h 40m 58s) most of it on 26%, a large portion on 50%
Cell Standby - 4%
Android System - 4%
Phone Idle - 3%
Wi-Fi - 2%
Android OS - 2%

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
Ahh yea.. didnt notice he had the extended battery. That definitely isnt normal.

What Ive noticed is the battery stats page kinda sucks. I dont think it takes into account everything that's eating the battery. The OP should probably check his partial wake usage. Something's probably keeping the phone on when the screen is off.

OP
Arsonman

Arsonman

Reaction score
I think my battery problem is that I am loosing signal. My phone has been unpluged for 1h 34m and I am already down to 88%. I checked the cell standby and it says that for that hour and a half I am without signal for 45% of the time.

biglipps66

Reaction score
Yes your cell standby looks high.

Look under that and tell us what the signal loss % is. At work here I suffer 60-85% loss normally and it slaughters my battery, but outside I get great battery and no loss.

OP
Arsonman

Arsonman

Reaction score
Right now it is kind of wonky. I had to plug it into my computer via usb so it is plugged in. 59 minutes and 6% loss. As stated above it was 45% after an hour and a half.