Battery life question

OP
Arsonman

Arsonman

Reaction score
Ahh yea.. didnt notice he had the extended battery. That definitely isnt normal.

What Ive noticed is the battery stats page kinda sucks. I dont think it takes into account everything that's eating the battery. The OP should probably check his partial wake usage. Something's probably keeping the phone on when the screen is off.

How do I check the partial wake usage?

OP
Arsonman

Arsonman

Reaction score
My display for today is at 70% of the battery. I have the screen to timeout after 30 seconds and screen brightness at 20%

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
Ahh yea.. didnt notice he had the extended battery. That definitely isnt normal.

What Ive noticed is the battery stats page kinda sucks. I dont think it takes into account everything that's eating the battery. The OP should probably check his partial wake usage. Something's probably keeping the phone on when the screen is off.

How do I check the partial wake usage?

Dial *#*#4636#*#*

Go to battery history and there are some options there to see cpu usage, network usage, etc. Pick partial wake usage. See if there's an app in there that's got a lot of partial wake usage (like 30 mins or more)..

OP
Arsonman

Arsonman

Reaction score
Checked it and there is nothing that is jumping out of the ordinary. I think I am loosing battery because my phone is searching for the 4Glte signal. I turned it off and am using only 3g. The battery seems to be holding up better. I don't know if the MR2 update will help with the signal lock or not. Does that make sense that searching for the signal would kill the battery

OP
Arsonman

Arsonman

Reaction score
Answered my own question. I had 3g CDMA turned on since I unpluged the phone this morning, three hours lost 2% of battery. Turned on the CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto and lost 10% of battery in 45 minutes. Nice to have a phone that dies with its best feature turned on.

OP
Arsonman

Arsonman

Reaction score
Alright, upon doing more research regarding the 4Glte and 3g switch off will kill the battery. I found this on the XDA forums:

Go to the ThunderBolt's phone dialer. Enter ##778# and hit Send.
You'll get a pop-up labeled EPST, with the choice to "View Mode" or "Edit Mode." You want "Edit Mode."
You'll be asked for a password. It's 000000.
Now flip down to "Modem Settings," and then choose "Rev. A."
Change the setting from eHRPD to "Enable," hit OK, then press the Menu button on the phone and tap "Commit Modifications."
That's it. You're done. The phone will reboot (don't worry, you're not losing any data here), and things should, you know, actually work.

I have done this and for the past hour my phone has not lost any battery. Before it would have dropped minimum of 10%. I will leave this on my phone for tomorrow and get a real feel for it.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Alright, upon doing more research regarding the 4Glte and 3g switch off will kill the battery. I found this on the XDA forums:

You'll get a pop-up labeled EPST, with the choice to "View Mode" or "Edit Mode." You want "Edit Mode."
Change the setting from eHRPD to "Enable," hit OK, then press the Menu button on the phone and tap "Commit Modifications."
That's it. You're done. The phone will reboot (don't worry, you're not losing any data here), and things should, you know, actually work.

I have done this and for the past hour my phone has not lost any battery. Before it would have dropped minimum of 10%. I will leave this on my phone for tomorrow and get a real feel for it.

What does this do? What are the default values? Could you please link to the XDA thread so I can read more information from the source? Thanks!

My cell-standby is about 45% right now, time on 42 minutes. I'm running CM7, and had already switched the network mode to CDMA auto.

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
My battery life is at around 5 hours with heavy use, from 100% to 0%

I had 58% when unplugged and this is where I'm at now

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
Arsonman

Arsonman

Reaction score

What does this do? What are the default values? Could you please link to the XDA thread so I can read more information from the source? Thanks!

My cell-standby is about 45% right now, time on 42 minutes. I'm running CM7, and had already switched the network mode to CDMA auto.

Here is the XDA thread
[A] Service issues? look here!!! - xda-developers

OP
Arsonman

Arsonman

Reaction score
I don't know but this may be working for me. Five hours off charge and I have 86% left. Befor the switch I would be down in the 40's

Jacob9424

Reaction score
dial *228 and press 2. should take a minute or two, it may or may not reboot your phone.

To clarify this only updates the list of towers your phone 'knows' it can connect to. This doesnt change much of anything at all. If you notice you have decent signal strength in your area I bet updating the roaming wont have any effect
This no longer works with LTE devices...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

amandals2007

Reaction score
I'm somewhat new to these forums and trying to learn what I can about my phone since I have it til january 2013. I keep seeing people say they get 24 hrs of bettery life, how is that? I know somedays I play games on it and that kills the battery but what can I do for normal use to maximize the battery?
Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums