Battery life question

Shimmy549

Reaction score
I'm somewhat new to these forums and trying to learn what I can about my phone since I have it til january 2013. I keep seeing people say they get 24 hrs of bettery life, how is that? I know somedays I play games on it and that kills the battery but what can I do for normal use to maximize the battery?
Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Well, there's no guarantee that any amount of "battery-pinching" will give you 24 hours of battery life. With my phone, I have those really good days (I could get about a full day on a charge) and some days that are just average (12-14 hours).

There are a few good suggestions I can make, though. This is just off the top of my head:

1). Install JuiceDefender Beta and JuiceDefender Ultimate. Ultimate costs a couple bucks, but there are many battery-saving options available through it. You can let the program turn off data according to a schedule, for example. You could even let the program disable background sync and 3G/WiFi while the screen is off. It really helps with the battery drain that occurs while the phone is unused in a pocket or purse.

2). Turn off the Global network option. Forgive me for not remembering where the option is located, but suffice it to say, it's in Settings. If you're in the U.S., you can only use the CDMA network and I believe the phone will continuously look for a GSM/UTMS band if the global option is enabled. That can drain your battery needlessly.

3). Turn off background data and/or auto-sync if you really don't need them or when you don't need them. You could also let JuiceDefender handle that for you if you decide to download it.

4). Keep the screen as dim as you can stand it. Our phone's displays use up more battery than any other feature (should, anyway). If you need to squeeze as much time as possible out of a charge, dial it down.

5). Accounts that are set to auto-sync (like Facebook) can be a huge drain. The more accounts you have syncing up with your phone, the bigger the problem will be. Either don't sync an account that you can live without on your phone, or set those accounts to refresh as infrequently as possible. If you can't live without constant status updates, then you'll have to bite the bullet:)

6). Some widgets constantly poll your phone or associated accounts for information. The fewer weather and social networking widgets you run, the less drain you'll experience as a result.

7). Streaming movies and playing games can tear throug your battery, obviously. If you like doing those things and if it's at all possible, just keep your phone plugged in. I hate watching the life pour out of my battery while I do anything, so that's what I do:) I know, it's cheating-haha.

There are many more tips I can't think of at the moment (I'm at work). I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I think ya gotta go with the extended battery. I recommend getting it straight from Verizon as 3rd party sellers can be shady. There are all kindsa things you can do to save battery power.

- a big thing is to watch out what kind of junk you have installed including widgets, live wallpapers, apps
- use WIFI when available. in wireless settings > wifi press the phone's menu button to access the advanced wifi settings. set wifi to turn off when screen goes off. This way you can keep wifi toggled on all the time. Some people say you should set wifi sleep policy to never but I find that this isn't the optimum setting. The way you use your phone, how often wifi is available, the signal quality in your area and other factors come in to play so it is a good idea to experiment with settings.
- update PRLs by dialing *22899 once/month
- calibrate phone's battery circuitry software every two months
- put screen brightness on auto
- there are so many things you can do...

Shimmy549

Reaction score
Another good tip: Try not to use your phone.

Haha-I'm being a smartass:)

Managing your battery's life can be a job, though. It isn't the kind of fun I remember having with my toys as a kid.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk