Another battery thread

Discussion in 'Droid X Tech Support' started by rfranken, Jul 30, 2010.

1. rfranken

rfranken Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Battery life isn't good enough.
    3 hours of being unplugged. Zero use. down to 76% already.
    cell standby 70%
    phone idle 20%
    screen 10%

That isn't good enough. I've tried Juice defender for several days...it did nothing to help so I uninstalled.
    screen at Auto. (but that doesn't matter....i'm not using the phone...just sitting idle it takes waaay to much battery.
    WHY? i understand if i use it...the big screen the data being pulled in. but just sitting on standby and idle, why such a battery drain when not in use??

2. mkthnx001

mkthnx001 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you in a place with very little signal? The battery will decrease as it is constantly searching for signal if that's the case.

EDIT: Mentioned the above because of your percentage of usage going towards "cell standby".

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  3. cincycats51

cincycats51 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dont worry man. I have the EXACT same issue. I unplug it at 5 AM every morning, go into work, and at my 8:00 break, which is the first time I check my phone since I got up, I look at it and its at 70% battery....Makes 0 sense

4. mkthnx001

mkthnx001 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you just get your phone? Have you fully drained/charged it yet?

5. rfranken

rfranken Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm at work...and it is FULL 4 bars of solid 3G strength here. always.

I got my phone on the first day it was out. july 15th. i have let it completely drain 2 or 3 times fully.

6. mkthnx001

mkthnx001 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Than it must have something to do with the widgets you have running, etc.

By the way, you said 76% in your first post of this thread. Android only displays battery life in increments of 10 before hitting 15%. Where did you come up with 76?

7. rfranken

rfranken Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Battery Left is the battery widget i have going to show me the exact percentage.
    I have the darn thing 100% calibrated for accuracy but it is usually showing a vastly different number than what the stock battery thing shows. can be off by 20% or so.

if widgets or whatever are using up my battery is there a way to know. That screen that says phone idle and cell standby isn't very useful if its widgets sucking it down.
    I use the built in weather widget...and have google calendar.

8. mkthnx001

mkthnx001 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is that the only widgets you have? It might even be the battery widget that's causing such a drain, seeing as how it updates for every 1%. Than again I've never used said widget so wouldn't know.

A good application to find out which apps/widgets are using up battery/CPU is "SystemPanel App / Task Manager".

9. getboth

getboth New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My wife had the exact same problem, and yesterday her phone wouldn't even charge. I looked it up and someone recommended taking out the battery. I tried that and phone started charging and this morning she told me she still had a full charge from last night. previous nights she would have half the charge by morning.

Maybe a fix, we'll have to wait and see how it does in the next few days.

10. rfranken

rfranken Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've pulled the battery a couple times.
    I do have Android System Info.
    I've watched it work sorting by CPU usage many times and nothing seems to be using more than 0% when i'm in there...exempt for the Android system itself and the system info app itself when i'm in there.

I think the weather widget doesn't update that much....cuz when i open it...i can see when it last updated for a split second before it updates to the current time cuz I opened it.

last week i used a task killer program pretty religiously. it did Nothing at all to help battery life and made the phone chug a bit here at there. so i uninstalled that a week ago.

I leave off wifi, bt, gps and all that until i'm actually going to use it.

11. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Standard answer: These phones suck up a lot of juice. 2 hours and 51 minutes since unplugging 2 hours and 52 minutes since unplugging, I'm down to 80%.

I did plug in briefly to do download a file manager. So really it's more like 4 hours.

The fix is to buy a spare battery. By a charger for wall, or car wherever you need it and live with it. A docking station for when it's idle.

I don't have an X but battery use is just a fact of life. That's why you see 500,000 of them throughout the forum.

12. rfranken

rfranken Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i know.
    the only thing i dont like is how it uses TONS of battery life while its locked and the screen is off. I have no problems with how fast it chews it up when i'm using it.