unlimited data usage on droid

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm on Verizon and got my Droid about 4 months ago and it was mandatory to get the $30 unlimited data plan. Do the conditions change by location? I would have still went $30 unlimited but it was not optional.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

It's 30.00 everywhere.

techRob

Reaction score
As i previously posted, my data for the first 4 months of my droid (wow, i can't beleive its been that long), has been aroudn 250-ish MB. I just checked on my current usage, with 12 days left for "my month" - and i'm 911 MB :icon_eek: ... lol Pandora does the trick - i'm sure there are a few other things (and i was playing with Sirius for a while). Either way, wowser....streaming music is a good way to crank up the data usage - and i'm enjoying Pandora. I just felt like sharing that. Like i said, id' gladly continue to pay the $30/mo for unlimited access ;)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thats the kind of crap that will drive me from a smartphone and maybe even verizon. I don't like to worry about my usage. Am i close? Have i gone over? Will i make it to the end of the month? Uh Oh!! i have used my "allowance" and its only been two weeks!!! Burns my A$$

You don't really have to "worry" about it. Just pay for what you use.

Thats the thing. You don't pay for what you use. You pay for what you "think" you will use. Anything above what you think you will use is just added $

I strongly suspect that any tiered plan will work as the announced AT&T plan does. And it's similar to the way minutes are charged on a voice plan. In other words, you'll buy a bucket of gigabytes for a set rate. Once you exceed that limit you'll be charged for another (smaller) bucket of data whether you use it all or not. The carrier will let you know when you're coming close to the limit of what you've purchased and it will be up to you to either "throttle" your own use or be prepared for another hit in your next bill.

There will likely still be another option for occasional data users (e.g. 250mb per month) with heavy charges if they exceed that limit. But the incentive will be for everyone who uses even a moderate amount of data to purchase, say, a 5 gig bucket and then pay extra for each gig after that.

OP
R

rfriel

Reaction score
streaming radio uses

As i previously posted, my data for the first 4 months of my droid (wow, i can't beleive its been that long), has been aroudn 250-ish MB. I just checked on my current usage, with 12 days left for "my month" - and i'm 911 MB :icon_eek: ... lol Pandora does the trick - i'm sure there are a few other things (and i was playing with Sirius for a while). Either way, wowser....streaming music is a good way to crank up the data usage - and i'm enjoying Pandora. I just felt like sharing that. Like i said, id' gladly continue to pay the $30/mo for unlimited access ;)

5GB / month easily, if i get HULU to work with FROYO, and FLASH 10.1, i could use 50GB/month, 3G, for 4G, with tiered cost, i wont use 4G, i'll go to WIMAX, which is mobile WIFI

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

You should note, of course, that even if you were on a plan that included a bucket of say 5 gigabytes per month, you are still way, way under that limit.

I have a broadband access plan with verizon for a laptop and I have NEVER come close to using 5 gigs per month on the plan simply because most of my use of that device is over wifi.

clucernoni

Reaction score
I really think the main point of the new tiered plans is to make people care about the data they use. As it is right now, I sit in front of a computer all day as a software engineer. I stream pandora to my phone because that is the easiest and when i get up to talk to people I just leave it streaming. When I get home I use Wifi but when I am at a friends house I don't because I don't feel like setting it up and connecting (when they have passwords etc) and 3G is just fine for what I am doing when I am out. But if I were going to pay for extra data in a tiered plan, I would make sure to connect to Wifi whenever available and I would stop my pandora from streaming when I step away from my desk (Or even stream from my work computer).

I Really think this is what they are trying to do. Right now we use data whenever/wherever we want..for whatever we want and don't try to conserve it at all. This is why networks are so congested and once people start to care about the data they use, that congestion will go down.

I'm not a fan of tiered plans either (Since I use a ton of data) and I do think it is a way for the cell companies to get more out of their network without having to invest money in it...but it was only a matter of time and I don't suspect it will stay around once data gets faster and cheaper.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

5GB / month easily, if i get HULU to work with FROYO, and FLASH 10.1, i could use 50GB/month, 3G, for 4G, with tiered cost, i wont use 4G, i'll go to WIMAX, which is mobile WIFI

Of course you will and so will most people. What is sometimes confusing in these discussions is that people assume that ALL of their data use will be over a 3G or 4G network. I seldom crack 200 megs in a month on my Droid simply because it is running wifi about 90% of the time.

techRob

Reaction score

Of course you will and so will most people. What is sometimes confusing in these discussions is that people assume that ALL of their data use will be over a 3G or 4G network. I seldom crack 200 megs in a month on my Droid simply because it is running wifi about 90% of the time.
I may start using WiFi more often (home and work), which could potentially account for close to 50%-80% of my usage. lol and now that I got VPN and RDP to the office network / computers working....heeheehee....the only reason i'd use that is when i'm at a movie or running around and i get paged for a password reset or something i figure i can fix remotely w/out actually being there...but still.