unlimited data usage on droid

rfriel

Reaction score
who has used more than 10GB of data for 6 months consecutively? any notices of data throttling or other action from "the carrier"? wonder about data throttling for 4G when available?? ATT is already limiting data on 3G, what are the odds "the carrier" will follow?:icon_evil:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
verizon has already announced the 4g(LTE) plans will be tiered

i dont know if they are going to change the plans for 3g.... i doubt it to be honest.

OP
R

rfriel

Reaction score
compared sprint 4G to verizon 3G,

sprint 4G down ~2.5-3MB/s, up 1MB/s, verizon 3G down 1.5-2MB/s, up 1MB/s, not much different

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
sprint 4G down ~2.5-3MB/s, up 1MB/s, verizon 3G down 1.5-2MB/s, up 1MB/s, not much different

and the fact that sprint only has 4g in like 15 cities across the country while everyones seen verizons 3g map..

huskur

Reaction score

i dont know if they are going to change the plans for 3g.... i doubt it to be honest.

Thats the kind of crap that will drive me from a smartphone and maybe even verizon. I don't like to worry about my usage. Am i close? Have i gone over? Will i make it to the end of the month? Uh Oh!! i have used my "allowance" and its only been two weeks!!! Burns my A$$

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Thats the kind of crap that will drive me from a smartphone and maybe even verizon. I don't like to worry about my usage. Am i close? Have i gone over? Will i make it to the end of the month? Uh Oh!! i have used my "allowance" and its only been two weeks!!! Burns my A$$

You don't really have to "worry" about it. Just pay for what you use.

huskur

Reaction score

Thats the thing. You don't pay for what you use. You pay for what you "think" you will use. Anything above what you think you will use is just added $

djkms

Reaction score
I stream last fm all the time, if they charged me for data usage I think I would be in trouble

V

verian

Right now none of us have to worry. Unlimited is unlimited. 4G as stated above will be a different story, and up to the individual user, if its worth the little speed increase to pay a little more for it. I'm on the fence right now I can only get mobile broad band where I live because I refuse to pay for crappy satellite. 4G might be just enough of an increase to hook me in.

techRob

Reaction score

Thats the thing. You don't pay for what you use. You pay for what you "think" you will use. Anything above what you think you will use is just added $
Take a few consecutive months (the more the better), add all of the data usage up for those months, then divide by the amount of months - and possibly round up.

My usage: Feb (~260MB), Mar (~220MB), Apr (~250MB), May (~255MB)
260+220+250+255 = 985 ... 985 / 4 = 246.25 ... Rounding up: 300MB - just to be safe and keep from extra charges. Now, I haven't really used Pandora until after the May bill, so I can't really use those months for my pricing equation. I did the same thing with my minutes when I decided to get the Droid, I chopped my minutes in half because I rarely ever hit 450 (because almost everyone has VZW that i talk to).

Anyway...I'm not a fan of teired pricing - especailly if the cost is similar to the $30/mo for unlimited for 300-500MB...I'd rather just pay the $30 for unlimited and not worry about my usage, and have fun :)

zMd113

Reaction score
If teired prices become the norm I can do without a smartphone. Or any phone in general.

VitsDroid

Reaction score
I have been over 5gb every month for a while and it does feel like they are throttling it now, seems my 3g is much slower than usual. I have been using wifi at home so it helps. Wonder if i should call and complain why my 3g is slower.

antron007

Reaction score
I'm on Verizon and got my Droid about 4 months ago and it was mandatory to get the $30 unlimited data plan. Do the conditions change by location? I would have still went $30 unlimited but it was not optional.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
R

rfriel

Reaction score
goto ATT has unlmited plan for cheap

:icon_evil::icon_eek: ATT has unlmited 3G and 4G data for cheap cheap cheap...... LOL

OP
R

rfriel

Reaction score
fnally

I have been over 5gb every month for a while and it does feel like they are throttling it now, seems my 3g is much slower than usual. I have been using wifi at home so it helps. Wonder if i should call and complain why my 3g is slower.

a truthful person, ahhh it's refreshing.