1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

unlimited data usage on droid

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by rfriel, Jun 11, 2010.

1. rfriel

rfriel New Member

who has used more than 10GB of data for 6 months consecutively? any notices of data throttling or other action from "the carrier"? wonder about data throttling for 4G when available?? ATT is already limiting data on 3G, what are the odds "the carrier" will follow?:icon_evil:
  2. garrett

garrett New Member Theme Developer Developer

verizon has already announced the 4g(LTE) plans will be tiered

i dont know if they are going to change the plans for 3g.... i doubt it to be honest.
  3. rfriel

rfriel New Member

compared sprint 4G to verizon 3G,

sprint 4G down ~2.5-3MB/s, up 1MB/s, verizon 3G down 1.5-2MB/s, up 1MB/s, not much different
  4. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator

and the fact that sprint only has 4g in like 15 cities across the country while everyones seen verizons 3g map..
  5. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

Thats the kind of crap that will drive me from a smartphone and maybe even verizon. I don't like to worry about my usage. Am i close? Have i gone over? Will i make it to the end of the month? Uh Oh!! i have used my "allowance" and its only been two weeks!!! Burns my A$$
  6. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

You don't really have to "worry" about it. Just pay for what you use.
  7. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

Thats the thing. You don't pay for what you use. You pay for what you "think" you will use. Anything above what you think you will use is just added $
  8. djkms

djkms New Member

I stream last fm all the time, if they charged me for data usage I think I would be in trouble
  9. verian

verian Guest

Right now none of us have to worry. Unlimited is unlimited. 4G as stated above will be a different story, and up to the individual user, if its worth the little speed increase to pay a little more for it. I'm on the fence right now I can only get mobile broad band where I live because I refuse to pay for crappy satellite. 4G might be just enough of an increase to hook me in.
  10. techRob

techRob New Member

Take a few consecutive months (the more the better), add all of the data usage up for those months, then divide by the amount of months - and possibly round up.

My usage: Feb (~260MB), Mar (~220MB), Apr (~250MB), May (~255MB)
    260+220+250+255 = 985 ... 985 / 4 = 246.25 ... Rounding up: 300MB - just to be safe and keep from extra charges. Now, I haven't really used Pandora until after the May bill, so I can't really use those months for my pricing equation. I did the same thing with my minutes when I decided to get the Droid, I chopped my minutes in half because I rarely ever hit 450 (because almost everyone has VZW that i talk to).

Anyway...I'm not a fan of teired pricing - especailly if the cost is similar to the $30/mo for unlimited for 300-500MB...I'd rather just pay the $30 for unlimited and not worry about my usage, and have fun :)
  11. zMd113

zMd113 New Member

If teired prices become the norm I can do without a smartphone. Or any phone in general.
  12. VitsDroid

VitsDroid New Member

I have been over 5gb every month for a while and it does feel like they are throttling it now, seems my 3g is much slower than usual. I have been using wifi at home so it helps. Wonder if i should call and complain why my 3g is slower.
  13. antron007

antron007 New Member

I'm on Verizon and got my Droid about 4 months ago and it was mandatory to get the $30 unlimited data plan. Do the conditions change by location? I would have still went $30 unlimited but it was not optional.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  14. rfriel

rfriel New Member

goto ATT has unlmited plan for cheap

:icon_evil::icon_eek: ATT has unlmited 3G and 4G data for cheap cheap cheap...... LOL
  15. rfriel

rfriel New Member

fnally

a truthful person, ahhh it's refreshing.
  16. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

It's 30.00 everywhere.
  17. techRob

techRob New Member

As i previously posted, my data for the first 4 months of my droid (wow, i can't beleive its been that long), has been aroudn 250-ish MB. I just checked on my current usage, with 12 days left for "my month" - and i'm 911 MB :icon_eek: ... lol Pandora does the trick - i'm sure there are a few other things (and i was playing with Sirius for a while). Either way, wowser....streaming music is a good way to crank up the data usage - and i'm enjoying Pandora. I just felt like sharing that. Like i said, id' gladly continue to pay the $30/mo for unlimited access ;)
  18. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

I strongly suspect that any tiered plan will work as the announced AT&T plan does. And it's similar to the way minutes are charged on a voice plan. In other words, you'll buy a bucket of gigabytes for a set rate. Once you exceed that limit you'll be charged for another (smaller) bucket of data whether you use it all or not. The carrier will let you know when you're coming close to the limit of what you've purchased and it will be up to you to either "throttle" your own use or be prepared for another hit in your next bill.

There will likely still be another option for occasional data users (e.g. 250mb per month) with heavy charges if they exceed that limit. But the incentive will be for everyone who uses even a moderate amount of data to purchase, say, a 5 gig bucket and then pay extra for each gig after that.
  19. rfriel

rfriel New Member

streaming radio uses

5GB / month easily, if i get HULU to work with FROYO, and FLASH 10.1, i could use 50GB/month, 3G, for 4G, with tiered cost, i wont use 4G, i'll go to WIMAX, which is mobile WIFI
  20. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

You should note, of course, that even if you were on a plan that included a bucket of say 5 gigabytes per month, you are still way, way under that limit.

I have a broadband access plan with verizon for a laptop and I have NEVER come close to using 5 gigs per month on the plan simply because most of my use of that device is over wifi.