Any recourse after having your "unlimited" data plan throttled?

velocity92c

Reaction score
I have the Samsung Fascinate and FINALLY received the GB update yesterday. It addresses all the problems I had with the phone (which were a lot, faulty GPS, horrible signal anywhere and everywhere and more) but I noticed my data speeds were absolutely horrible even though my signal was easily 2-3 times better than before (went from rarely even having 1 bar to having 4/5 bars almost all the time). This was confirmed by my speedtest app, which showed speeds worse than dialup.

I thought it had to do with the update but then remembered that VZW had recently started throttling high data customers and called to see if I fell into this category. Sure enough, I did. I asked him how long it would be throttled and the guy said no longer than 24 hours. That didn't sound right to me so I read their policy online and it states that the billing cycle AFTER the next one I will regain my full speed. This is unacceptable to me. I am supposed to have an unlimited 3g plan and my speeds are nowhere near 3g speeds. I've been dealing with absolutely horrendous signal for the past 9 months with this phone, and the day I am finally able to take full advantage of my speeds with a good signal they throttle me to less than 1% of what I was before. My download speed was 12k on the speedtest app.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Is there any recourse here? I don't mind to not use so much data, I just recently watched 3 seasons of Breaking Bad on my phone while at work, I'm sure this had something to do with the high data usage, but without any kind of warning I didn't realize I was approaching whatever limit they have set. If my 3g speed is going to be throttled for the next 2 months I'm going to switch carriers, plain and simple. I've had way too many problems with the Fascinate anyway, and now that they finally addressed most of them I can't even take full advantage of it with my speed being crippled.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
how much data did you use exactly? And yes watching Breaking Bad on your phone will rack up data, quickly. If anything try to work it out with Verizon saying it was just that one spike in data usage because of netflix.

IN AWE

Reaction score
How much did you use? Apparently you are in the top 5% of data users. There must be more to it than watching some movies or series.

googlelover

Reaction score
The magic way to make all your woes with Verizon go away is to tell them your considering switching carriers because the 3G speed is so horrible, and tell them your paying for an unlimited data plan so you should be able to take advantage of that while using netflix, a feature on the phone that they advertise.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Yeah, doesn't sound right that they would throttle you for using Netflix which they advertise. How much did you use?

Swyped and sent through the interwebz directly to you from somewhere and some device that doesn't concern you!

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have the Samsung Fascinate and FINALLY received the GB update yesterday. It addresses all the problems I had with the phone (which were a lot, faulty GPS, horrible signal anywhere and everywhere and more) but I noticed my data speeds were absolutely horrible even though my signal was easily 2-3 times better than before (went from rarely even having 1 bar to having 4/5 bars almost all the time). This was confirmed by my speedtest app, which showed speeds worse than dialup.

I thought it had to do with the update but then remembered that VZW had recently started throttling high data customers and called to see if I fell into this category. Sure enough, I did. I asked him how long it would be throttled and the guy said no longer than 24 hours. That didn't sound right to me so I read their policy online and it states that the billing cycle AFTER the next one I will regain my full speed. This is unacceptable to me. I am supposed to have an unlimited 3g plan and my speeds are nowhere near 3g speeds. I've been dealing with absolutely horrendous signal for the past 9 months with this phone, and the day I am finally able to take full advantage of my speeds with a good signal they throttle me to less than 1% of what I was before. My download speed was 12k on the speedtest app.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Is there any recourse here? I don't mind to not use so much data, I just recently watched 3 seasons of Breaking Bad on my phone while at work, I'm sure this had something to do with the high data usage, but without any kind of warning I didn't realize I was approaching whatever limit they have set. If my 3g speed is going to be throttled for the next 2 months I'm going to switch carriers, plain and simple. I've had way too many problems with the Fascinate anyway, and now that they finally addressed most of them I can't even take full advantage of it with my speed being crippled.

How about getting a wireless router for your office, that's what I did, now as soon as I hit the office parking lot my WiFi connects, I got a buffalo router for $40 from Amazon.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
how much data did you use exactly? And yes watching Breaking Bad on your phone will rack up data, quickly. If anything try to work it out with Verizon saying it was just that one spike in data usage because of netflix.

They did not cut off his data speed for good, just till his next billing cycle starts, then he should be good as new, and when he starts to go crazy on the data again they will slow him down, simple as that, I have unlimited since I purchased my Incredible, and I have never gone over 2 gigs a month, WiFi at home and WiFi at work, also WiFi at all my family residences, only time I am on 3G is when I am on the road.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
They did not cut off his data speed for good, just till his next billing cycle starts, then he should be good as new, and when he starts to go crazy on the data again they will slow him down, simple as that, I have unlimited since I purchased my Incredible, and I have never gone over 2 gigs a month, WiFi at home and WiFi at work, also WiFi at all my family residences, only time I am on 3G is when I am on the road.

Oh no I understand that part. I'm just saying he might be able to work out something with Verizon to possibly get his temporary hold taken off sooner. I mean one explained spike in data might warrant an early release from a hold.

Plus it sounds like he just got the chance to take full advantage of his phone, doesn't hurt to try.

jseah

Reaction score

Actually, according to Verizon's stated policy, if you are throttled for being a heavy user, you will be throttled for the remainder of the current billing cycle, plus all of the next billing cycle. Also, they claim that the throttling policy only applies to 3G users. If you are using a Verizon LTE phone, you will not be throttled. This is also different from AT&T's policy. Apparently AT&T will throttle both 3G/HSPA+ and LTE users. When you get throttled appears to depend on the market. There has been people reporting that AT&T has been sending throttle warnings to them in NYC and Atlanta when they went above 2 GB.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Actually, according to Verizon's stated policy, if you are throttled for being a heavy user, you will be throttled for the remainder of the current billing cycle, plus all of the next billing cycle. Also, they claim that the throttling policy only applies to 3G users. If you are using a Verizon LTE phone, you will not be throttled. This is also different from AT&T's policy. Apparently AT&T will throttle both 3G/HSPA+ and LTE users. When you get throttled appears to depend on the market. There has been people reporting that AT&T has been sending throttle warnings to them in NYC and Atlanta when they went above 2 GB.

Well that sucks

If I was OP, I would definitely go into Verizon and see if I can talk to them about lifting it. Worth a shot

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
I haven't been throttled yet (og Droid) & I'm almost @ 8gigs with 7 days remaining in my billing cycle.

I also have a 3g MiFi on a unlimited plan & that's @ about 25gigs right now. Haven't been throttled on that either.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kennyg704

Reaction score
This is the way I understand Verizon's 3G throttling.

If you go over the 3G "unlimited" limit, they throttle you only in areas where there is a lot of 3G data being requested from the towers.

So if you live in an area like downtown New York City and exceed the 3G "limit," there's a high probability of getting throttled 3G speeds. I'm guessing customers in areas like the suburbs don't get throttled as often simply because there isn't as much of a demand on the cell towers for data.