Unlimited Data Plans Incompatible with 4G? What!

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX HD' started by paoutdoorsman, Nov 2, 2012.

1. paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman New Member

So I'm chatting with a VZW sales associate (Arty) who is trying to tell me my unlimited data plan is 3G only and incompatible with 4G... Please tell me he is wrong.

Arty: With your current plan you are looking at only $30 more
    You: What does that give me?
    Arty: 1,200 emails 8 hours of music 4 hours of video Estimated out to about 2GB does this sound efficient?
    You: 2 GB of data for this device only correct?
    You: I'll still have 5 GB (Unlimited) on my primary line
    Arty: Yes
    Arty: Right the unlimited is 3G and incompatibles with 4G. What the Share Everything plan gives is a better access to the 4G network
    Arty:
    You: So $299.99 for the phone, a $30 upgrade fee, and $30/monthly data access. No other costs, taxes, fees, etc?
    You: I hope you're mistaken about the unlimited being incompatible with 4G.
    Arty: Correct bur you do have the option to bill any charges today to your account
    You: I'm almost certain the incompatiblity is a falicy, but would you please verify?
    Arty: That's a great question. Do you mind if I take a moment to research that for you?
    You: No, please do. The answer is a critical one for me.
    Arty: 4G has more speed and Verizon only offer 4G nor and quickly converting to 4g LTE the 3G was unlimited because of its speed as well as the allowance
    Arty: *and quickly...
  2. paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman New Member

Ok, either the VZW chat reps are clueless, untrained, or trying to deceive people to convince them to move to share everything plans. Our chat continued and he maintains that unlimited data plans do not have access to 4G service. I had a visitor and had to step away so below is all that i got from him.

Arty: Still with me?

You: Yes. Just waiting for you to research...

Arty: 4G has more speed and Verizon only offer 4G and quickly converting to 4g LTE the 3G was unlimited because of its speed as well as the allowance

You: So you are telling me if I were to spend the money for a 4G device, and keep my current plan, the device would not work?

Arty: No not a 4G device 4G service, the only way to continue service you will have access to our 4G Network

You: And my current unlimited data plan will not allow me to access your 4G network?

Arty: The 3G service is the unlimited

Arty: Correct

Arty: Have you ever noticed data slows don at times?

Arty: *down
    You: Hang on Arty. Have to step away a minute.

Arty: I only have 2 min allotted to wait

Arty: Still with me?
    Arty: It has been my pleasure to chat with you today! Please feel free to re-open the chat session if you need further assistance . Thank you and have a great day!
  3. GotnFX

GotnFX Active Member

He hasnt a clue...I personally bought my maxx og razr out right and i still have unlimited data. I came from an OG droid 1. It is for both 3and4g
    1 person likes this.
  4. zomnomnombie

zomnomnombie Active Member

That is quite a lie.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

I get the feeling that "Arty" is sitting in a call center overseas somewhere, and doesn't understand what you are asking him any more that I can comprehend his answers.
    2 people like this.
  6. GotnFX

GotnFX Active Member

So if you buy the phone out right, you can keep your current plan. If you buy the phone@ the discounted price and renew your contract, you lose unlimited and go to a tierd data plan. Again, I came from a 3G og droid 1, bought my phone on ebay and kept my unlimited data. Vz did not force me to a tiered plan cuz I was now accessing 4g.
  7. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

Technically though, to keep unlimited, you have to pay full retail.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

Any subsidies from Verizon on phone cost require a contract, which is where they get you when it comes to upgrades. If you pay full retail or purchase used from a 3rd party, you can remain on unlimited via a month-to-month plan and SHOULD be Grandfathered in until such time as you decide to sign a new contract. That caveat is that when you are month to month, you have no contractual obligations to them, but neither do they to you. They could yank your "Grandfathered" data at any time, since there was never an agreement in the first place.
    1 person likes this.
  9. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 DF Administrator Staff Member

+1 to this...I have my original unlimited plan (from when it was AllTel) with multiple 4g devices on it but I do pay full retail for my phones so that they cannot change my contract.
    1 person likes this.
  10. bkdodger

bkdodger DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Arty needs to go back to customer service class.. Lol

°BK's pure G-Nex°
    2 people like this.
  11. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

Like I said, this only holds true while you are still under contract. Once you go month to month, they COULD theoretically yank unlimited data right out from under you. So far, they don't seem to be doing this to people, but it's possible.
  12. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 DF Administrator Staff Member

Yes, very possible...but I haven't been under contract for almost 2 years...
  13. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Not that it needs additional support, but he ("Arty"), is completely wrong. Both my wife and I have Droid RAZRs (mine is a MAXX), both are on 4G, both are on Verizon, and both are grandfathered on the Unlimited Data plan within a Family plan that includes my father-in-law and my son both on on "dumb" phones, so only my wife and I have Data.

See below (note where it says "Unlimited");

Screenshot_2012-11-02-18-53-53.png Screenshot_2012-11-02-18-49-12.png
  14. androidlearner

androidlearner Member

Wasn't there something that happened over the summer that Verizon basically said if you don't upgrade your 3G plan to a 4G plan you were stuck on 3G. I know that was said at one point just don't remember where I read it. I believe it was June 20th or something close to that

Sent from Razr Maxx running Full Throttle Killer Bean
  15. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Updated 5.18.2012: Verizon clarifies that there will be no forced switching of customers to the shared-data plans once they become available. Instead, all those with grandfathered unlimited plans [both 3G & 4G], will be switched when they sign up for new, subsidized hardware. Details from the NYTimes’ Bits blog:

Verizon’s e-mailed statement, in full:
    – Customers will not be automatically moved to new shared data plans. If a 3G or 4G smartphone customer is on an unlimited plan now and they do not want to change their plan, they will not have to do so.
    – When we introduce our new shared data plans, Unlimited Data will no longer be available to customers when purchasing handsets at discounted pricing.
    – Customers who purchase phones at full retail price and are on an unlimited smartphone data plan will be able to keep that plan.
    – The same pricing and policies will be applied to all 3G and 4GLTE smartphones.
  16. paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman New Member

Thanks for all the replies... All good news. Sad to see people like Arty either giving people bum advice, or attempting to decieve them into giving up unlimited data.
  17. cobravnm13

cobravnm13 Well-Known Member

He's a Verizon employee doing what he's told to do. A muppet/puppet. Not knowledgeable except where he was taught to move people to new devices and new plans so they can make more money. If they can't make someone upgrade their phones and downgrade the size their wallets, "I'm sorry I can't help you."
  18. rverginia

rverginia New Member

If you are under a corporate discount (Microsoft, Boeing employees around Seattle) you can keep your unlimited plan (and it's only $20 a month). Yes, it's 4G. Check to see if your employer is a participant. You may be surprised.
  19. zomnomnombie

zomnomnombie Active Member

People get paid to do their job. His job is to try and resolve your issue within the scope of his authority. If you want him to do what you want, you pay his bills.

There is no need to call an employee names. If you don't like a practice don't give money to the company that is responsible for that practice.

It's called a free market. It doesn't meant you get what you want for free. It means you're free to spend your money elsewhere.
  20. paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman New Member

What do they call this program?
Search tags for this page
3g to 4g conversion
boeing unlimited data verizon
boeing verizon plan
boeing verizon unlimited data
galaxy s3 phone incompatible with 4g plan

incompatible data plan

incompatible data plan tmobile

s4 incompatible data plan