universal inbox (messaging app) has gone wonky

ecfiffer

Reaction score
ok so my friend has a D2 and she has had a slight bug with the 'messaging' app. when she creates the shortcut from the launcher on one of her home screens, it will show up on the screen no matter what app you are using. yes you heard me right, she can have the browser open and the messaging shortcut is right there in the middle of the screen. i fixed it the first time by deleting all the shortcuts to 'messaging' and rebooting. yeah well it came back. well this time i went in to menu->applications->running and looked for the app and to see if it had in cache to clear, well it didnt but i did clear the defaults, added/deleted the shortcut and rebooted. fixed it again, until sometime last night or this morning. now do you all think its a froyo issue? or phone? or hell is it the stock moto ninja blur launcher? input?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ok so my friend has a D2 and she has had a slight bug with the 'messaging' app. when she creates the shortcut from the launcher on one of her home screens, it will show up on the screen no matter what app you are using. yes you heard me right, she can have the browser open and the messaging shortcut is right there in the middle of the screen. i fixed it the first time by deleting all the shortcuts to 'messaging' and rebooting. yeah well it came back. well this time i went in to menu->applications->running and looked for the app and to see if it had in cache to clear, well it didnt but i did clear the defaults, added/deleted the shortcut and rebooted. fixed it again, until sometime last night or this morning. now do you all think its a froyo issue? or phone? or hell is it the stock moto ninja blur launcher? input?

Sounds like a possible virus to me. Which "messaging" app is it?

OP
ecfiffer

ecfiffer

Reaction score

Sounds like a possible virus to me. Which "messaging" app is it?

virus? i'm kinda hard pressed to think that there are a whole lot of exploites out there right now for a linux based phone. any ways, its the stock motorola messaging app that they include with the D2 and DX

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yes, a virus. There are apps in the market that are corrupt and can make your phone do some really weird stuff. My girlfriend's D2 for example did not get along with Music Junk. It would download music fine but made her phone randomly erase her music. Not saying that it necessarily is a virus but it shouldn't be ruled out either. It could be an app that has been installed from the market just as easily as the phone itself. I had a customer once that had installed a game on his phone that made his texts show up in his Gmail and his Gmail show up in Handcent.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Doubtful virus...have yet to hear of one on any Droid forum.

If you really want to get rid of it, I'd suggest a factory reset (Settings>Privacy).

That will remove all apps/settings and data (like call logs, SMS) from the phone (SD card will be untouched). When she reboots after that and signs in, all her apps/settings will be restored, and she can add any other accounts she wants.

Really your best option at this point.

If the problem comes back, then start looking at app conflicts as a potential issue...

OP
ecfiffer

ecfiffer

Reaction score

If you really want to get rid of it, I'd suggest a factory reset (Settings>Privacy).

That will remove all apps/settings and data (like call logs, SMS) from the phone (SD card will be untouched). When she reboots after that and signs in, all her apps/settings will be restored, and she can add any other accounts she wants.

If the problem comes back, then start looking at app conflicts as a potential issue...
or i was thinking (as a last ditch effort, R00T and uninstall the app) but thats me.... as if you didnt notice from my sig:)

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

or i was thinking (as a last ditch effort, R00T and uninstall the app) but thats me.... as if you didnt notice from my sig:)

From your sig, I was surprised you hadn't broken open the phone and re-soldered the circuit board by now. ;)

OP
ecfiffer

ecfiffer

Reaction score

From your sig, I was surprised you hadn't broken open the phone and re-soldered the circuit board by now. ;)
m'eh no need to do that unless i was ganna try to cram on more onboard memory... i keep running out of room on mine. ganna wait till the end of next month then either upgrade to the DX or see what VZW has in store to roll out. look at me i'm thread jacking my own thread... i've got skillz

OP
ecfiffer

ecfiffer

Reaction score
so no other input other then to do a factory reset and go from there?