No Universal Inbox on homescreen = FAIL

vatothe0

Reaction score
I wouldn't want all that junk in one inbox. I'd never find what I want. I don't want to wade through 40 twitter/facebook updates to read a text message.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
M

mgladden2

Reaction score
I don't want to wade through 40 twitter/facebook updates to read a text message.

Hence my comment about people doing things the hard way and not knowing any better....

Did you really think that wouldn't be an issue for everyone?? Of course it would be. Which is why you only receive actual inbox messages from facebook in the Universal Inbox. Besides, only a noob would have facebook and twitter set to email him 40 times a day whenever his sister clicks "like" on his latest post about buying a new pair of tighty-whiteies at the local jc pennies. Basic low-priority notifications like that stay in their respective apps, this is for messaging.

vatothe0

Reaction score
I already get an email when someone sends me a message directly on facebook or twitter. Why would I need another notification? Seems like you're creating a problem to apply a solution to.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
M

mgladden2

Reaction score
I already get an email when someone sends me a message directly on facebook or twitter. Why would I need another notification?

Okay, I'm really trying not to loose it here. You don't need a notification or an email telling you got a message on facebook. With the Universal Inbox, you just get the actual friggin message they sent you. No need to go launch the app, no need to receive and delete a stupid notification email, you just get the actual message.

Anyways, I just installed LPP and in a matter of seconds I had the Universal Inbox on my homescreen. Now to figure out why Gmail messages are slow to sync, and text messages are 8 hours off in their time stamp.

OP
M

mgladden2

Reaction score
Settle down. We don't want you to "loose" it!

Ha! I'm really trying here... I just wish these companies would hire a few power users to test their products. This should have been a no-brainer. Especially if they're trying to pull business users out of the RIM market. And the features I'm griping about would be very easy to have implemented. Will I ever buy a state-of-the-art smartphone and have it work like a moderately intelligent person designed it? I feel a lurking Job's/iPhone comment out there. But that **** is too locked down, and Job's ridiculous stance on Flash makes it an even bigger FAIL.

B

bthomp21

Settle down. We don't want you to "loose" it!

Ha! I'm really trying here... I just wish these companies would hire a few power users to test their products. This should have been a no-brainer. Especially if they're trying to pull business users out of the RIM market. And the features I'm griping about would be very easy to have implemented. Will I ever buy a state-of-the-art smartphone and have it work like a moderately intelligent person designed it? I feel a lurking Job's/iPhone comment out there. But that **** is too locked down, and Job's ridiculous stance on Flash makes it an even bigger FAIL.

yeah i see what youre saying. but the good thing about android is someone out there has thought of a feature you want and most likely there is a solution. thats whats great about this site, you can find almost anything. this universal inbox is a first for me, im trying to figure it out too. lol

sailcappy

Reaction score
I agree, i wish I could also put a shortcut for the Universal Inbox on my home page. Having just come from 5 years using a BB this is very important to me.

BobFr

Reaction score
No universal mailbox for me

I would hate to be forced to have a universal mailbox as my only option. I use multiple email accounts for different purposes. For example, I have one for the blog and e-store updates, and others for personal use. The former gets ten times as many emails as the personal emails, and most of these messages get deleted from that inbox without being read. On the other hand, the personal ones are important to me, so they each get my attention. I have notification turned on for the personal mailboxes, but don't for the blog and store updates.

If I only had a universal mailbox, most of the email notifications would be unimportant and distracting to me, and I might ignore an important email that came into one of the personal mailboxes. So YMMV, but I'll keep the individual icons and notifications for different mailboxes.:)

sailcappy

Reaction score
I to have multiple emails and recieve lots of text. As with my Blackberry I loved having the option to view them all in one place. All we are asking for iis if we can have the OPTION of installing a shortcut to the Universal Inbox on our home page or even to the right programable button.

jbg25

Reaction score
@Mgladden2...wow...what a piss poor attitude from someone asking for help and not even knowing what the heck they are asking for!

I am sure if there is enough demand for a stock google universal inbox for all incoming messages email/sms/mms/facebook etc they will make it part of the stock build.

but as others have pointed out...most of us dumb people who don't know any better than to do every thing the hard way...actually don't prefer that. For example...even though by your account I am either ignorant or stupid...

The real FAIL in this thread is assuming that your particular needs/wants are everyone else's as well.

Fair enough, I assumed most people would like to click once on an icon on their homescreen and see all of their emails, txts, and social media messages. I forgot most people prefer to do things the hardest possible way because they don't know any better.

When I am running my business during the day ( I know can you believe a ignorant stupid person can run their own business?) and I need to check my emails for work...the last think I want is to have to decipher what is personal email and what is work...or even more appropriately...needing to weed my through all the horse crap people think is necessary to spew on Facebook and Twitter ( i mean really ... did I need to know you are doing your laundry right now? or you are taking your kid to soccer practice?).

So instead...the EASIEST and SMARTEST SOLUTION was to find an 3rd party app that does what I need the way I need. Let google spend their R&D $$$ making the O/S work and continue to bury iO/S...and leave it to the many many talented and intelligent developers out there to make that one little feature you want work.

Pure messenger is great because it works for amazingly brilliant people like you who need everything in there face right now or they will freak out on the first person to respond...as well as for me who may only want to see a specific email account and texts in a single widget.

Hope this simple ignorant fool helped you a little.

PS...you do know that if you need a shortcut to any function on your phone...there is an app for that too! It is called "Better Cut"...and you can litterally make a short cut to any app, activity, profile, locale, function and in some cases even the programs sub menus if there are multiple functions. Since you seem to have an inbox on your phone that does what you want...maybe the best solution for you is to use better cut to make an Icon on your home screen to that inbox and all your problems will be solved

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks, harrellj. It's good to know a third-party app might be an alternative. I'd rather use the built-in Universal Inbox, but if there's no other solution...

Been using Pure Messenger widget for months. Love it - have a separate screen for the 4x4 widget. Can show everything - missed calls, sms, facebook, twitter, up to 3 gmail and up to 3 exchange accounts.

My only beef (probably a Gmail setting I've missed) is when I delete emails from the widget it doesn't sync (still in my gmail inbox). That and mark read/delete is pretty slow (probably more my bogged down D1).

SGTiger

Reaction score
I forgot most people prefer to do things the hardest possible way because they don't know any better. Oh, wait, that's just Motorola software programmers and embarrassed users who get defensive and overly protective of the junk they paid too much for.

Wow. You're assuming that if someone has a method other than what you prefer, it isn't because their situation is different, but it is because they don't know any better? Good luck getting assistance. You're going to need it.