Travelling to Grand Cayman with Bionic -- Question

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
Getting married and honeymooning in Grand Cayman. Renting a car and would like to use Google Navi while I'm over there. In theory, I would be able to cache the whole island using pre-cached maps in labs, and will not require a data connection, right? Thanks for the help.
DMBatCOFC

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try waze. It is a great GPS app that caches the maps to your phone. I tried on a phone that wasn't even activated and it worked like a champ.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
Yea from what I read maps is great for that. Just cache the area and you don't need data. Just GPS

Erikbal

Reaction score
How do you cache an area? Or is this a root only thing?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
D

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
How do you cache an area? Or is this a root only thing?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

No root required
Menu-settngs-labs-enable caching

once enabled, go to map and long press an area, you'll see option to cache area.

OP
D

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
Thanks for the Waze suggestion and maps confirmation! If neither works, guess I'll revert to the stone ages with a paper map.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I was in grand Cayman last month with my bionic. Make darn sure you turn data roaming off as it ain't cheap! :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

OP
D

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
I was in grand Cayman last month with my bionic. Make darn sure you turn data roaming off as it ain't cheap! :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I bet it isn't! From what I've heard, nothing in the Cayman Islands is cheap... could be a detrimental trip for my bank account :icon_eek:

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I bet it isn't! From what I've heard, nothing in the Cayman Islands is cheap... could be a detrimental trip for my bank account :icon_eek:

Yea, but they got GREAT rum there! Brought back a few bottles myself. :D Texting, however, is the way to go. It's still not cheap, but, it's cheaper than data and voice calls.

OP
D

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
Yea, but they got GREAT rum there! Brought back a few bottles myself. :D Texting, however, is the way to go. It's still not cheap, but, it's cheaper than data and voice calls.
Thanks for the tip!! and... I love some good rum!

OP
D

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
Alright.... just wanted to report back on this. Just got back and this DID NOT WORK!!!! Had to suck it up and rent a GPS unit from Avis. Google navigation requires an active data connection even if you pre-cache the entire island. On a side note, Caybrew beer and Tortuga rum are AMAZING!!!

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
That sucks about the GPS. However, you are correct about the drinks. :D

arcopress

Reaction score
Was in St Martin - pre-cached the island, and could use off-line gmaps for the entire island down to the street level.