Transparent apps...what's missing ?

pistol_pete

Reaction score
@the swagger

If you extracted the gmail apk out of my zip and pushed it to /system/app/ with adb, you've accomplished the very same thing that the .zip would do if run through recovery. The apk is a complete replacement of the original, not an update, so if it pushed successfully there's no reason not to think that you don't have everything (in fact, it would be force closing on you if not). The error you're seeing that says that it's a template update.zip is not really an error, it does not cause the update to fail.

Sp Recovery is the only one that requires you to have a zip on the root of your sd card named exactly update.zip, the others (rzr, cw) let you navigate your sd card and choose the files manually. I personally just updated to rzr recovery and believe it's the best out there right now. It supports usb charging while in recovery and also overclocking in recovery (which the others don't) - there's really no reason not to run it.

And yes, there are more than enough knowledgeable people on this board to answer all your questions, and who are more than willing to do so. Just have to catch us on here at the right time. We don't know the skill level of everyone reading through here, most have been doing this a long time, so you can't really expect us to start instructions from scratch for every thread or update. Good luck. Any more questions, fire away while you've got me.

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Well, if you look at it this way, read every post, you get a bit of this way and that way, error possibly here and possibly there, the best way, possible way, etc. Compile all that together and that leaves you with several unknown ways for success and failure.

That's why I've been picking out as much succesful methods, tools, instructions, useful info, and the whole 9 yards associated with all that. Piece it together, grab up my Notepad on here and a notebook by my side to copy and paste stuff down or write stuff down and later piece it all together by testing the various successful methods and incorporating it for future references in case something goes wrong or I forget something.

You ought to see all the stuff I've been copying and pasting, writing and keeping tabs on all this stuff. You would think I'm writing up a huge report or something.

Anyways, since you mentioned it's successful by adb push it (which I did after I gave up trying to update ways and it worked), I have to be careful doing that because not everything is meant to be adb pushed. That's what I'm currently trying to sift through and get the whole picture of what is ok and good for adb push, what is not ok and bad for adb push, APK manager for what files/folders, SDK for what files/folders, etc.

This is my approach to thoroughly researching every vital information before I start on theming. I kind of did rush into editing a APK as practice because I couldn't wait. The Music.apk. Just testing by replacing the colors in the PNG image files. Pushed it back and it worked. Then got a little too carried away and severly screwed up the Music.apk and had to resort back to the original in order for it to work on the Droid 2 again.

Biggest concern was all the tools I didn't need that were referred or suggested to me. It cluttered up my folders so bad that my adb and Java were aborting on me. That's the other thing I'm going through and dealing with and figuring out what exact tools I need.

Again, I'm ranting on, but again I apologize. Guess I'll keep fiddling around with the different update options. I don't want to have to resort back to adb pushing APKs if it is crucial to use CW_Update or SPR/RZR_Update for something. I'll learn.

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^ I can be a bit more specific and even put together an update.zip for you that will work, what recovery are you using, SPR, RZR, or CWR ?

...and what applications are you trying to install ?

giga pipe

Reaction score
Can u send me the download link too please.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

giga pipe

Reaction score
My bad on page 4 from tp76. I'm also having trouble installing transparent gmail and the calculator.

giga pipe

Reaction score
Everything else is amazingly hot! I love this phone more everyday :)

giga pipe

Reaction score
I'm using the Liberty Rom. Also I have titanium and Droid x boot strapper. I don't know if that's a recovery image.

Which recovery image are you currently using?

pistol_pete

Reaction score
When you boot into recovery, you should have either SP Recovery, Clockwork Recovery, or Raid Zero Recovery.

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
^^ I can be a bit more specific and even put together an update.zip for you that will work, what recovery are you using, SPR, RZR, or CWR ?

I know how to make a custom update. It's just the changes not taking place. I use Clockworkmod's Bootstrap app to boot into recovery so I was using the CW_update to do this stuff. I did mention Pandora worked out just fine, but it's the other ones that don't seem to want to change at all.

Oh, I also tried DroidForum transparency. I don't think that one is meant for a dark background. Almost all the text are black. I couldn't read much of anything.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can change the text colors. They're xmls. Do you have Notepad++?

I know how to make a custom update. It's just the changes not taking place. I use Clockworkmod's Bootstrap app to boot into recovery so I was using the CW_update to do this stuff. I did mention Pandora worked out just fine, but it's the other ones that don't seem to want to change at all.

Oh, I also tried DroidForum transparency. I don't think that one is meant for a dark background. Almost all the text are black. I couldn't read much of anything.

DroidForums Junkie!!

pistol_pete

Reaction score
Open DF app, hit menu, display style, and switch it to dark. That will solve your problem.

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
You can change the text colors. They're xmls. Do you have Notepad++?

DroidForums Junkie!!

I'm not ready to edit XMLs yet. I still haven't even gotten past eliminating useless tools and getting everything set up with current instructions. Still working on that since last Friday night.

pistol_pete, forgot about trying that method. I'll do that in a bit. Right now I'm rethinking about just not applying any transparency because it kind of makes my theme look weird. Only thing I see useful to applying transparency would be the MusicMod and Pandora.

Also, when you apply CW_update in recovery am I suppose to mount the system? I don't think I saw that anywhere in this thread.