Transparent apps...what's missing ?

JustJack1235

Reaction score
Has the gmail.apk been updated to 2.3.4.1? I cant get the gmail update a few posts back to work :(:icon_ banana:

JustJack1235

Reaction score
I'm on liberty 1.5....I sign all my apps before installing. But I tried pushing thru terminal and it didn't work. The last gmail on here worked for me....as did everything else. Just the new gmail update won't :( I'm sad

Sent on the fly~

JustJack1235

Reaction score
Like to get the Vending.apk to work i just flashed the 2.2.7 test key then flashed the themed market. and i have no issues.... Is there a quick trick to get the Gmail to work too? :) or whitch xml file should i pull and try and 7zip into the one from the market?

pistol_pete

Reaction score
Just flash them as they are as an update.zip through recovery. Both of them worked just fine for me.

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Gmail has an update on the market~

Sent on the fly~
Inverted by ecsnead69 this morning, tweaked with a little transparency by yours truly. Running like a champ on P.E. GB5.0.1!

Update.zip format

"This is a template update.zip please change this" is the error I get when flashing in recovery.

You guys need to really separate your instructions a bit better and tweak it up. I was able to do Pandora with CW_update but not with this Gmail. Then I see some of you say use update.zip format but yet the instructions clarify from O/P if APK isn't signed then use CW_update or the other one.

This can't really be hard to do but it's annoying when some of you tangle up the instructions and f.u.b.a.r. it up with different instructions.

Also would like to point out that there is already an update.zip on the root of my sdcard. It's been there for awhile, so putting another update.zip is out of the question till I figure out what the original update.zip belongs to. Contains quite a bit of stuff in it.

droidxethan

Reaction score
quick question how do i get rid of this(any of the .apk) if i dont want it anymore just wondering for future reference

pistol_pete

Reaction score
Sorry if this got confusing. I jumped in and did the updates for market, gmail, and facebook. Facebook is signed and installable through any file explorer. Gmail and Market are core system apps and thus need to be installed to the system partition. This needs to be done with a flashable update.zip and since I already had one packaged up and the site allows me to directly upload this format, that's what I did. Those 2 don't need to be repackaged with one of the templates in the OP. Otherwise I would have had to upload the standalone apks to a third party site and then link to them, it was just easier this way.

As far as removing them; by installing these, they're overwriting your existing apps. The only way to go back is to restore a nandroid backup from previous to the install, or if one's not available, you could extract the apk from the original zip of whatever ROM you're running, place it in one of the templates in the OP, and flash it in through recovery.

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
TheSwaggeR - the instructions in the O/P are still valid, the type of .zip you will need to use will depend on your recovery, CW, SPR, or RZR - and if the application is signed no update.zip file is needed at all, I don't see what the issue is ?

The tempelate error you are getting has no effect on the zip doing it's job - it still works, and if you already have an update.zip on your SD and use SPRecovery then you have no choice but to move or overwrite the old zip

droidxethan

Reaction score
Sorry if this got confusing. I jumped in and did the updates for market, gmail, and facebook. Facebook is signed and installable through any file explorer. Gmail and Market are core system apps and thus need to be installed to the system partition. This needs to be done with a flashable update.zip and since I already had one packaged up and the site allows me to directly upload this format, that's what I did. Those 2 don't need to be repackaged with one of the templates in the OP. Otherwise I would have had to upload the standalone apks to a third party site and then link to them, it was just easier this way.

As far as removing them; by installing these, they're overwriting your existing apps. The only way to go back is to restore a nandroid backup from previous to the install, or if one's not available, you could extract the apk from the original zip of whatever ROM you're running, place it in one of the templates in the OP, and flash it in through recovery.

wow thank u i now have my camera back i really didnt want to use my back up where it was still on there cuz i had flashed a new rom and did other things since so thank u never thought about doing that i still could never get vending.apk to work not sure what the promblem with it is i guess i dont understand how to do it

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score

Well, I've never done anything through update.zip before. Still new to this and don't like how people kind of shorten instructions or kind of rush the whole deal. If it were me I would be laying every possible way out with possible errors and solutions for it, also explaining thoroughly what this or that means and what it's good for and what you can do with it.

I went through every single post on this thread and got some really useful information that even actually helped me clear up my adb issues on my OWN since I can't find much help elsewhere. I'm picking up tidbits of info here, another thread, another droidforum section, xda, scouring the numerous websites for all my answers to get everything set up and learn how to theme. Kind of frustrating when one must learn on their own in some areas even though there are people that are right here that can answer your very issue. I smell a complete and extremely thorough guide when I get the hang of everything and find the solutions to all my issues.

Sorry for the long rant, but you know you're turning crazy when you're talking to your programs here and saying or yelling "what the eff is your problem!?" Lol.

Anyways, I'm just trying to see what is best to do the Gmail as you did it. I gave up with the update.zip method so I just yanked the APK out of your zip and adb pushed it on top of the original Gmail.apk and it turned it transparent but I may have only done half of what your Gmail zip had in it.

Here's what I did so you can see my method. No signed apks: use CW_Update, rename to CW_Gmail_Upate.zip and open with 7zip. Use your Gmail zip and open with 7zip, copy both folders and move to CW_Gmail_update.zip, press ok. Transfer it to my phone on the root of my sdcard via USB. This was before I figured it might be signed. Flashed it, got that error.

Did the same way with SPR/RZR update method. Same error.

Removed an original update.zip and saved onto PC and used just update.zip through SPR. Same error.

Said screw it, grabbed the Gmail.apk and adb the SOB on top. Gets frustrating.

droidxethan

Reaction score
i think u just need to get cw update.zip rename it to update.zip go to root of sd and move ur old update.zip into a folder so its not on root of of sd and place gmail.apk into ur new update.zip go into recovery and mount system and then hit apply sd update.zup and then u should be good and use the gmail.apk in op not the update one u have to use tthe original first then u can flash the updated one i hope this helps u some it worked for me

jatx2wne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hypothetically anyone could use the zip I posted with the transparent mms for any recovery. Just open it delete thee mms app and drop whatever app you need in there and it will work regardless ofwhat recovery your using

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk