To keep or not to keep...(that is the question)

daveywave

Reaction score
Well I'm coming up on a my 30 day verizon return policy... And Damn... this is the hardest cell phone decision I have ever had. I remember back when I first purchased a blackberry 9100, tmobile MDA, 2 apple iphones (first gen and 3g), blackberry storm... etc etc.

All those different operating systems have come and gone... But now I'm falling in love with the freedom of android (and the dev's are getting better and better). I still miss the power of blackberry, but the hardware is ancient and the multimedia apps just cannot compare to that of the droid. Not to mention the browser comparison...

Anyhow here I am. With a monster (rooted and overclocked droid) of a phone yet i have reservations of a 2-year locked in contract and a $350 ETF. I'm sure I'm not alone here...

1. With the Palm Pre Plus released on verizon (and the new webOS 1.4 with flash and 'performance' enhancements about to drop)...

2. Motorola has mentioned at CES that a updated/revised motorola DROID with a better physical qwerty keyboard on the way...

3. the Google Nexus One coming in March (have you seen the snapdragon + cyanogen cooked rom? BLAZING fast)

... As i said here I am... deciding to keep the droid... or return it and wait a month or two and decide then!

Comments?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
your call... i don't think anybody prefers the Palm Pre Plus over the Droid... but for your #2 and #3, this will come to fruition sooner rather than later. it's your call... i feel that the Droid (1) will be "good enough" until LTE phones start coming out, but if you can wait another month+, it's up to you. remember the N1 isn't a huge upgrade over the Droid.

just my $0.02

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Palm devices shouldn't even be a worry. They're not gonna touch an Android device. IMO

Tech changes so a 'newer' Droid isn't out of the question... but the current one is no where near it's full potential so I don't think you'd regret keeping it.

Nexus is an HTC phone, and IMO, HTC hardware is so-so. No physical keyboard either, so that's a choice you'd have to look at. And Google will become your source of customer service... another thing to consider.

aacanela73

Reaction score
It sounds like you need one of everything. You are always going to be looking for the newer and the better. Turn it in and get something eles so then you can kick yourself later. Grass is ALLWAYS GREENER.... comes to mind.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could always get an iPhone.... nothing will change there... Apple has that locked down. You can just keep buying the same phone every year :icon_ devil:

OP
D

daveywave

Reaction score
thanks for the good advice... and some of it funny too :)

Decisions... decisions....

The webOS platform just seems so sexy and usable... (especially the fact you can run 50+ cards at the same time!)... time will tell!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I switched from my iPhone and AT&T I was very apprehensive so I only purchased a one year contract hoping that someday VZW would offer an iPhone. Now,however, after using a Droid I have no reason to every return to iPhone.

Perhaps a one year contract is an option for you.

Mike