Thunderbolt will be 299.99 with 2 year contract

nyeshia0431

Reaction score
Well I don't root my phones and I thought Honeycomb was specifically for tablets, not phones and that Ice Cream sandwich would bring together bits and pieces from Gingerbread and Honeycomb for dual core phones?

motty69

Reaction score
You're right about software, but quad core IS coming Q3-Q4 this year. The PSP Phone is slated for the end of the year holiday release and boasts a quad-core Cortex-A9 and a quad-core Imagination Technologies PowerVR SGX543MP4+ GPU. Also Tegra 3 is coming in the fall...

That's all very well and good, but aside from the PSP phone (and Sony's timeline is very aggressive on that, I'll believe it when I see it) processors in production does not equal phones on the market.

I never underestimate tech, I love it. I've just seen FAR too many roadmaps like that slide 3, 6, 9 months or more. If I had something better than an Eris, I might be more inclined to wait, and with the TBolt right around the corner, I'm not about to rock a X or Dinc for 2 years. When it's time for me to upgrade from my TBolt the multi-core landscape should be a lot more attractive.

Besides, the things I generally use my phone for won't need dual/quad cores anytime soon. I'd much rather stick with a manufacturer and UI I've been very haoppy with in the past and see how thing unfold going forward. We can speculate all day about when multi cores will really be useful on a phone, but it's too early to me to assume anything. I just don't see it being much more than bragging rights till end of this year at the earliest.

Sleeve

Reaction score
Given FCC lag, no quad core will be in a consumer's hand this year. Developers will spend time making their apps able to handle dual core when they'd be better off making new apps or adding more features. To me, dual core is a nuisance, a distraction and an obstacle.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Given FCC lag, no quad core will be in a consumer's hand this year. Developers will spend time making their apps able to handle dual core when they'd be better off making new apps or adding more features. To me, dual core is a nuisance, a distraction and an obstacle.

Dual core is a problem? The Atrix is out and from what I've seen, it is reeeeally fast. Those cores split a bit of duty not matter what you are running. Dont fight the future!

atpjoe

Reaction score
I spent my BB gift card already. I'm not paying more than 250. Ill wait until its that price or less. My Eris gets the job done for now. Who knows maybe it'll be 199.99 at vzw...that'd be awesome.

Sent from my GSBv1.7-ERIS using DroidForums App

It would have been $250 had you not spent the gift card.

No because I spent money to get the gift card....its not like it was free.

Sent from my GSBv1.7-ERIS using DroidForums App

nyeshia0431

Reaction score
I know that Quad core won't be in customers hands by this year, but I don't think I would want the TB for the next 2 years. Even if I get a 1 year contract the price of the phone will be a lot higher than the already high $300 pice tag. Its not worth it to me.....

electric6

Reaction score
ugh well it doesnt matter how fast the tb is, if it isnt coming out until late june... Glad I bought my metal iphone!

Sleeve

Reaction score
Hey, I still deal with an oc'd D1 that's so laggy that when it rings and I try to answer it, it ignores my unlock swipes and I have to call the person back. I think I'm the person that actually keeps phones for two years they write about. I need to get something on Verizon before July (NE2 retirement), and I've already dq'd the bionic on ram, front facing camera resolution, speaker quality, potential for a locked bootloader, and motoblur.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
You're right about software, but quad core IS coming Q3-Q4 this year. The PSP Phone is slated for the end of the year holiday release and boasts a quad-core Cortex-A9 and a quad-core Imagination Technologies PowerVR SGX543MP4+ GPU. Also Tegra 3 is coming in the fall...

That's all very well and good, but aside from the PSP phone (and Sony's timeline is very aggressive on that, I'll believe it when I see it) processors in production does not equal phones on the market.

If Sony didn't believe they could make the deadline of releasing before the holidays then their phone probably wouldn't be a quad core. It's absolutely imperative for them to have their product ready by then. We'll see, but I think we'll be holding the set by Christmas because not doing so would be awful for business. :)

billyk

Reaction score
I wonder what the TB will cost at Walmart?

Back in January/early February I bought two Droid Incredibles for my kids, one was $28 and a week later the other one was free. At the time, the DInc was $149 at VZW.

I'll pass on the TB at the current $300 price point, but at maybe $149 I could be interested.

tipster

Reaction score
Don't buy anything @ 3rd party stores..ie walmart, sams,costco... u r signing 2 contracts, one w/vz, one w/other store..if u devalue ur plan during the 1st 181 days..they can come after u for full retail $ of phone b/c u are in breech of contract ...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

billyk

Reaction score
Thanks Tipster. I am aware of that. But with 5 phones on my account, there's no threat of me devaluing my contract anytime soon. My problem is not adding more onto my contract! :)

derekmiller12

Reaction score
I talked to a guy at Best Buy, (I know they arnt very creditable) but I asked if I am going to have to pay the 299 instead of the 249 that I pre ordered it at and he said when it comes out come in and they will give it to me for the original price.. So Thats good to hear, now I just need it to come out lol..

tipster

Reaction score
March 21 is the date going around..sounds very optimistic...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App