Htc Thunderbolt 1-year contract Verizon online

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No confirmation on pricing but the $299 price tag for a premier device is a solid $100 over what AT&T is charging as I mentioned (for the Atrix).

droid whore

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Well, I received this in the mail today pretty much confirming 4g pricing.

I think its a rip off. Im paying 30$ a month for 3G on a BB Storm 2.

Edit: sorry if I didn't post this in the right section.

Last edited:

Blackhawk55

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Might that not be the pricing for VZW's 4G service to laptop "air cards" and not for cell phones? I think that is where I've seen such tiered pricing.

spicoli1980

Reaction score
Just wondering if you dont have 4g in your area why exactly should you care about this over hyped, poorly executed release, htc pile of worthlessness? And if it is so great why does nobody want to keep it for 20 months?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Just wondering if you dont have 4g in your area why exactly should you care about this over hyped, poorly executed release, htc pile of worthlessness? And if it is so great why does nobody want to keep it for 20 months?

Thank you!!!! I've been hinting at this since day 1!
+111111111111111111

krpiper

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm pretty sure thats mobile broadband cards

HollywoodPR1

Reaction score
That is for aircards only. On smartphones it is unlimited. I just used 5gb on my phone and I have 29.99 plan on my phone. With VZW

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

swade8

Reaction score

The reason behind me wanting the T-Bolt, even though i'm not in a 4G area, is the fact that it's the only phone that has the functionality of doing Both Data and Voice on the 3G network, along with the 4G radio in it for when 4G does become available.. other than that all other 4G phones they have been talking about won't have the 3G voice and data capability, they will however have the 4G backwards use on a 3G netwok but not the voice and data feature.. I will locate the article where i found that and post it .. as far as the 1yr and 2yr plan.. that's not an issue with me... but i'd rather be locked into a 1yr. versus a 2y. any day this way i won't be penalized if i want to change phones early.. I don't have the option of changing cell phone companies as verizon is the most coverage based on where i go on any given day.. but if verizon starts pulling punches on raising prices and doesn't honor grandfather rates for us long term customers then i'm going with a Droid X first generation phone and wait it out till 2013. then..

here's the article... http://phandroid.com/2011/01/26/htc...egan-this-week-simultaneous-voice-data-on-3g/

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't wanna do a 2 yr because, 1. I've always done annual upgrades and now that they're gone this is on my only option to continue doing so with some sort of price discount and 2. I don't like VZW's actions of late and I don't want to commit to 2 yrs with them at this point in time. They're taking advantage of their customers because they can.

Sentrix

Reaction score
$299 is at least somewhat justified in my opinion.

The 32GB iPhone 4 also runs for $299 on a 2 year deal. The Thunderbolt comes with 40GB of total storage right out of the box AND is a 4G LTE phone. I can understand the frustration as most marquee Android devices in the past have all been $199, but the Thunderbolt truly is in a class of it's own in terms of data speed and storage. It's important to not forget that.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
...most marquee Android devices in the past have all been $199, but the Thunderbolt truly is in a class of it's own in terms of data speed and storage. It's important to not forget that.

But, by that logic, when the dual-cores come out in a few months, Verizon should charge $350 and then $400 for the quad-cores a few months after that...

The Droid marquees were all top-tier, class-of-their-own phones in their own right, at the time of their release. Of course each generation of phone is in a class of it's own; that's why it's the next generation. A 50% price spike is a little steep, however, IMO.

Sentrix

Reaction score
...most marquee Android devices in the past have all been $199, but the Thunderbolt truly is in a class of it's own in terms of data speed and storage. It's important to not forget that.

But, by that logic, when the dual-cores come out in a few months, Verizon should charge $350 and then $400 for the quad-cores a few months after that...

The Droid marquees were all top-tier, class-of-their-own phones in their own right, at the time of their release. Of course each generation of phone is in a class of it's own; that's why it's the next generation. A 50% price spike is a little steep, however, IMO.

Eh, you totally missed the point. I'm not talking CPUs here.

What separates the Thunderbolt is the 4G LTE (it's the first one!) and lots of storage out of the box. Has nothing to do with the CPU, in fact, the Bolt only has a Snapdragon single core. 4G LTE phones are going to be priced higher because they are truly in a class of their own. And the Thunderbolt's extra storage does nothing but help justify that price tag.

Has nothing to do with what CPU the phone ships with. The big-ticket, publicized item on these phones aren't going to be whether or not they have a dual-core CPU. It's going to be about 4G LTE capability, and that is what price is going to be based off of.

smokiedabong

Reaction score

What separates the Thunderbolt is the 4G LTE (it's the first one!) and lots of storage out of the box. Has nothing to do with the CPU, in fact, the Bolt only has a Snapdragon single core. 4G LTE phones are going to be priced higher because they are truly in a class of their own. And the Thunderbolt's extra storage does nothing but help justify that price tag.

Has nothing to do with what CPU the phone ships with. The big-ticket, publicized item on these phones aren't going to be whether or not they have a dual-core CPU. It's going to be about 4G LTE capability, and that is what price is going to be based off of.

By that logic a 2TB HDD should cost around $100.000.000 because 20MB a couple of years back was $1000 , so hey , the price is justified . A 12 Mb/s internet cable connection should be $10.000 because it's 100 times faster than the dial up which less than 10 years ago was $50 . And a 100 W speaker should cost $100.000 cause it sounds 1000 times louder than a $100 headphone so hey , the price is justified .
You do know that the production cost for a phone has roughly remain the same in the last couple of years ? The iPhone 1 production cost was as much as the iPhone 4 is now , and a 32 GB micro SD card cost as much to produce now as a 1 GB card was a couple of years back

shortsxit

Reaction score

By that logic a 2TB HDD should cost around $100.000.000 because 20MB a couple of years back was $1000 , so hey , the price is justified . A 12 Mb/s internet cable connection should be $10.000 because it's 100 times faster than the dial up which less than 10 years ago was $50 . And a 100 W speaker should cost $100.000 cause it sounds 1000 times louder than a $100 headphone so hey , the price is justified .
You do know that the production cost for a phone has roughly remain the same in the last couple of years ? The iPhone 1 production cost was as much as the iPhone 4 is now , and a 32 GB micro SD card cost as much to produce now as a 1 GB card was a couple of years back

The high end phones used to cost $299. Even dumbphones--anyone remember the Voyager?

You can always expect new technology to cost a premium. The price will probably come down to $199 for new phones by the 3rd or 4th LTE phone.