Do I need to switch from a 3g plan to 4g?

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased an HTC Thunderbolt at a great price on Swappa. I currently have a Motorola Droid, with the $29.99 unlimited 3g plan. My question is, do I need to talk to Verizon and switch to a 4g plan somehow? Will this extend my contract? Will it break the original 3g contract? How do I handle this?

Thanks!

Reaction score
You should probably call Verizon and ask. The 4g plan is $29.99 so it won't cost any more money, but I'm not sure if that will change your contract.

OP
Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Hopefully some people who have gone this route, instead of "properly" upgrading will comment. Thanks for your reply.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Assuming you bought the phone unsubsidized, just call Verizon and tell them you want to activate it and de-activate your old phone, and stay on the same voice+data plan. You shouldn't have any problems.

smmfc

Reaction score
I bought mine on Craigslist and when I called Verizon to ask this very question I was told no I didn't have to make any changes they said it would automatically change to 4g if needed but no price changes would be made to my plan as I also had the 29.99 plan on my of Droid
Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Assuming you bought the phone unsubsidized, just call Verizon and tell them you want to activate it and de-activate your old phone, and stay on the same voice+data plan. You shouldn't have any problems.

Yes, I bought it unsubsidized. I'd LIKE to use the 4G network, though - do you have any experience with that? If it's going to break the 3G contract, or start a new contract agreement with a 4G plan, I'll just stay on 3G for now.

OP
Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I bought mine on Craigslist and when I called Verizon to ask this very question I was told no I didn't have to make any changes they said it would automatically change to 4g if needed but no price changes would be made to my plan as I also had the 29.99 plan on my of Droid

Great to hear!

Also - what's the deal with the SIM card? I didn't think Verizon did SIM cards because they're CDMA.

johnd09

Reaction score
I would go ahead and make sure you lock in a 4g plan before they go tiered sometime this summer.

Sent from my Thunderbolt!!

OP
Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I would go ahead and make sure you lock in a 4g plan before they go tiered sometime this summer.

Right, but do I have to extend my contract / change my plan to do so? I'm not up for an official upgrade until March of 2012, so that's why I bought this phone unsubsidized. I'd love to use LTE, but I also don't want to further extend my contract and "waste" it on the Thunderbolt, nor do I want to break my current 3G contract to get an LTE plan.

Essentially, I need to know if I can just activate the Thunderbolt on the network, and have Verizon move me over to an LTE plan without extending, breaking, or signing a new contract. And if it's easy as just calling and having them switch it, does that mean I'm in on the unlimited LTE? Or would I only get that by signing a new contract agreement?

johnd09

Reaction score

Right, but do I have to extend my contract / change my plan to do so? I'm not up for an official upgrade until March of 2012, so that's why I bought this phone unsubsidized. I'd love to use LTE, but I also don't want to further extend my contract and "waste" it on the Thunderbolt, nor do I want to break my current 3G contract to get an LTE plan.

Essentially, I need to know if I can just activate the Thunderbolt on the network, and have Verizon move me over to an LTE plan without extending, breaking, or signing a new contract. And if it's easy as just calling and having them switch it, does that mean I'm in on the unlimited LTE? Or would I only get that by signing a new contract agreement?

It would probably be best to call them and find out, I feel like they will just change your current plan to a 4g without extending. And I would not think it would break your 3g contract I would think they would just modify it to include LTE.

OP
Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score

It would probably be best to call them and find out, I feel like they will just change your current plan to a 4g without extending. And I would not think it would break your 3g contract I would think they would just modify it to include LTE.

Alright. Thanks for your reply, I'll just have to call them when I get it in.

Kid A

Reaction score
If it's any help, I got my Thunderbolt in March and LTE was included in the 3G plan. That meant I was paying the same $30 a month I paid for my Droid 1. I'm currently locked into paying that price until my contract ends and I'll be grandfathered in if VZW changes the plan pricing during my current contract.

Make MC TW

Reaction score
It's not gonna affect ur contract or change anything at all just activate ur new bolt and enjoy free LTE while u can )

tommyg562000

Reaction score
Just activate ur thunderbolt. Data is an add on and has nothing to do with ur contract. The data paln is the same for all data , whether it be 3g or 4g. The only thing u need to do is activate ur new phone and u can access 4g at no additional cost and no contract changes. Of course, u will only get 4g if ur in a place that has 4g coverage.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

mark3748

Reaction score
You'll probably have to buy a new SIM card, but the data plan doesn't differentiate between 3g and 4g, there is only one data plan.

You have a SIM because it's LTE. once the SIM is burnt, it's done for, so unless you have an unused one, you'll have to replace it or get one. Should be about $20.