Thunderbolt will be 299.99 with 2 year contract

BullNole

Reaction score
I don't get why people are PO'ed about this price. For the same price as an iPhoney 4, 32GB, you get a better processor, bigger screen, better OS, more storage space, and 4G/LTE connectivity.

This actually proves that crApple over-charges for their devices.

It doesn't do the phone any justice to compare it with a phone thats been on store shelves for almost 9 months now. I personally feel the price isn't competitive. The Moto Atrix on contract is one third the price and packs better specs. I'll wait and hope for the Galaxy S 2.

The VZW iPhoney 4 has only been on the market since early February.

I remember paying many times that amount for Blackberry and other types of smartphones and these Android phones are far and away better and do more than Blackberries.

I can't guarantee it, but I think you are going to see a huge jump in all phone prices on VZW, so those waiting for the Bionic or Samsung Galaxy S2 phones may be in for a bit of a shocker... just my $.02
I completely agree. I believe other "coming soon" phones will fall into the same price range as the Thunderbolt. The more smartphones, specifically Android phones, advance and become as powerful as many laptops and desktops, the prices will be very similar to this.

motty69

Reaction score
If the rumor on the Bionic's price is correct ($149.99) there will be a number of annoyed TB buyers out there if the TB goes for $299.99...

Can't imagine Verizon would put out the Bionic until then end of 2Q so they can sell as many TBs as possible...

It the Bionic sells that cheap then VZW and Motorola have some sort of hate of HTC for some reason. Comparing the hardware, there is no real reason there should be that big a difference in price.

Sent from my Eris

nyeshia0431

Reaction score
Eventhough there are some differences in the Atrix and the Bionic, I can't imagine the Bionic going for $299 when the Atrix is $199. Thats the thing that will piss TB buyers off if its sales price is higher than the Bionic. I believe the $149 price would be amazon, not Verizon directly. I was considering the TB for a brief minute, but its simply not worth the $299 price tag. I am definitly waiting for the Bionic

Sleeve

Reaction score
Why? What do you like more about the Bionic? These phones are not the same, so you can't compare them just on price.

nyeshia0431

Reaction score
No the phones aren't the same, but there isn't any reason why the Bionic would be $100 more than the Atrix. Bionic will have 4.3 inch screen, Atrix will have 4.0. Atrix has 1Ghz RAM, Bionic has 512 MB's. Both have nVdia Dual Core Tegra 2 processors. Atrix has a finger print scanner, Bionic doesn't. Bionic will have an 8MP camera, Atrix will have 5MP. They both have a better battery than the TB. Just out of those basic specs, nothing screams a $100 difference to me. I heard HTC sense is nice, but that, LTE, 32gb sd card and more RAM than the Bionic doesn't justify a $299 price.dancedroid

motty69

Reaction score
Why? What do you like more about the Bionic? These phones are not the same, so you can't compare them just on price.

Agreed. My last 3 phones have been HTC and they have been rock solid hardware. There is value added for me that the TBolt is made by HTC and uses the Sense GUI. That's my opinion, others may value some things Moto does differently, but I'm just not generally a fan of their design (blocktastic) or GUI. If the Bionic and TBolt had the exact same CPU, GPU, ram, etc I would still spent at least $50 more for HTC's build quality and GUI.

I wouldn't mind a dual core processor, but I'm not going to a Motorola phone to get one. The fact that there's a rumor going around that the Bionic will sell for $149 just further pushes me toward the TBolt. If they are planning to sell what should be a bleeding edge phone that cheap, something is wrong in Bionic-ville. Thing will probably start blowing peoples fingers off like a cheap firecraker. :rofl3:

jr4000watts

Reaction score
i can officially say i now could care less of the TB, i pre ordered it the first day it was possible, and after all this talk waiting and BS around im done with this phone. HTC and Verizon shouldn't have even teased or bothered making commercials for a phone they know is not ready. Sorry if i am making it sound offensive to others but this is just my .2 cent.

motty69

Reaction score
i can officially say i now could care less of the TB, i pre ordered it the first day it was possible, and after all this talk waiting and BS around im done with this phone. HTC and Verizon shouldn't have even teased or bothered making commercials for a phone they know is not ready. Sorry if i am making it sound offensive to others but this is just my .2 cent.

Meh, more bandwidth for me. :p

Your right that the launch has been seriously screwed up, but I'm not going to let a poorly handled launch keep me from what should be a fantastic phone. Everyone who gets a hands-on with this phone comes away VERY impressed. I can wait.

nyeshia0431

Reaction score
Onca again the $149 price was from Amazon not Verizon. I think all phones should'nt be priced higher than $199, $250 at the very highest. Some people may feel like they wasted thier money on the TB especially when technology is advancing so fast. I know some apps aren't optimized for dual core devices yet, but they'll get there. In my eyes I believe the TB is a good phone, but its not worth $300 bucks. Maybe if it had dual core with a GB of ram and 3D capabilities then maybe it would be worth $300 bucks, but thats not the case. I think ,FROM VERIZON, the Bionic will be $199-$250 not $300. Lets face it quad core phones will be in the works by the end of this year begining of next.......

electric6

Reaction score
a poem by electric6...

"lo and behold it has been oh hold,
but the thunderstorm is above us soon
17 is the number of dark clouds,
lest we break our spoons.

dogs, cats or bears oh no
this is not the case
for My feelings are indeed
that lighting strikes arent safe.

so read and read and understand that 10+7 is soon
and we will no longer have to use these old rags
and look like daniel boone.

animals will rain from the sky
meowing and barking on high
but there is no fur for us
for the only fur that we will see will be the hairs on the back of our necks

but your credit cards will bark as well
and you will not regret
all those lonely days and nights
without your precious yet.

lo and behold thunder strikes soon with
17 clouds clashing asunder

this is the last storm
the one to fear
as the apples have been planted"

Its bad, i know. I was bored. Gonna go cut some sheet metal now... And btw, 299.99 is not too bad considering what your getting. After all, the 32gb iphone costs that much. 70 dollars more isnt that bad for a upgrade in 10 months.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Not everyone wants to be bleeding edge, and I understand that but we are already sliding down the precipice of massive change to dual core tech with quad core coming in as little as 5-6 months, 2 years from now this device wouldn't even show up on the list of benchmark comparable devices.

It's terrible timing AND overpriced, I wouldn't buy it at $150 over my D1 with a contract, I'd rather just wait.

motty69

Reaction score
Not everyone wants to be bleeding edge, and I understand that but we are already sliding down the precipice of massive change to dual core tech with quad core coming in as little as 5-6 months, 2 years from now this device wouldn't even show up on the list of benchmark comparable devices.

It's terrible timing AND overpriced, I wouldn't buy it at $150 over my D1 with a contract, I'd rather just wait.

I think you're being a little optimistic there, I seriously doubt there will be quad-core phones available before this time next year (chips yes, phones no). Untill we see Honeycomb on phones the devs will have to write code specifically to take advantage of dual cores. DC phones will be far outnumbered by single cores for quite a while. Devs tend to write apps and games for what people have, not what they may get 6-12 months from now.

Don't get me wrong multi-core is where it's all going, but the software to support it will lag far behind the hardware, always does.

If someone has to have the latest and greatest or needs bragging rights, the TBolt may not be for them. But some us us just want a nice phone with good hardware and a very polished UI.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Suppose the Bionic gets rooted? I'm no dev but what are the chances of running stock honeycomb on it and taking full advantage of the dual cores, at least as far as processing goes, even if the apps aren't there yet?

Hugh Jass

Reaction score

I think you're being a little optimistic there, I seriously doubt there will be quad-core phones available before this time next year (chips yes, phones no). Untill we see Honeycomb on phones the devs will have to write code specifically to take advantage of dual cores. DC phones will be far outnumbered by single cores for quite a while. Devs tend to write apps and games for what people have, not what they may get 6-12 months from now.

Don't get me wrong multi-core is where it's all going, but the software to support it will lag far behind the hardware, always does.

If someone has to have the latest and greatest or needs bragging rights, the TBolt may not be for them. But some us us just want a nice phone with good hardware and a very polished UI.

You're right about software, but quad core IS coming Q3-Q4 this year. The PSP Phone is slated for the end of the year holiday release and boasts a quad-core Cortex-A9 and a quad-core Imagination Technologies PowerVR SGX543MP4+ GPU. Also Tegra 3 is coming in the fall...

tegraroadmap.jpg

Don't underestimate technology.