Throw Back Thursday Droid Bionic Extended Battery!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The awesome bionic. Man that literally was the fall for Motorola. A phone that was rumored to have issues and then ended up having issues despite the denials. What an awesome time. Between that and the thunderbolt this forum lit up with posts arguing about arguably the worst phones we have ever had.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
I briefly remember that war. I really enjoyed my Bionic. I bought the phone on release day (September 8th) and had the extended battery put on from the first boot. It felt way better in my hand than the thin battery. I have a screenshot of getting 57 hours out of that battery. I had the desk dock and the car dock. The Bionic was a tough phone. It phone got me into modding with bootstrap and safestrap and roms galore. I eventually moved to the Gnex because support started to die off.

I miss when phones had that shape. People are always saying that to get a phone thin you have to sacrifice battery and I completely disagree with that. My Droid Maxx DE had a 3500mah battery and had a 5" display at only .33" in thickness. My Nexus 5x, with a larger overall footprint, has a 2700mah battery with a 5.2" display and is .31" thick. That 800mah extra is the difference between using your phone however you want without the worry of your phone dying before the end of the day and making sure you only use your phone moderately if you are away from a power source. The .02" extra in thickness is worth it.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Remember the HTC Thunderbolt? Now that thing could drain a battery!
Yeah, I love how HTC and Verizon kicked an update that random rebooted phones several times a day, and on each reboot your lost like 5-7% of battery life. Then the devs had a fix from HTC but Verizon, knowing this was an issue, would not release it for like 4 - 5 months. Yeah, those were the good ole days. Days when only Verizon had the flagship Motorola phones and a device with locked bootloaders were treated like a war against the diehard Android fans.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I love how HTC and Verizon kicked an update that random rebooted phones several times a day, and on each reboot your lost like 5-7% of battery life. Then the devs had a fix from HTC but Verizon, knowing this was an issue, would not release it for like 4 - 5 months. Yeah, those were the good ole days. Days when only Verizon had the flagship Motorola phones and a device with locked bootloaders were treated like a war against the diehard Android fans.

That phone made me hate htc forever + some.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That phone made me hate htc forever + some.
I felt the same until I bought the rezound. It was quietly the best phone of the era overshadowed by the inferior galaxy Nexus. Unfortunately because the galaxy Nexus was Verizon's first Nexus we all wanted to support that abomination of a Nexus for fear we may never see another on Verizon.

The rezound had better radios, better call quality, a better display, and better speakers than the Galaxy Nexus. I'm convinced that had the rezound been what HTC released instead of the thunderbolt HTC would have garnered more praise. It's unfortunate that the rezound was the thunderbolt with all the issues fixed, but was released beside the Nexus. Also didn't help that the only publicity we got was the dancing grandma Christmas commercial.