This phone seems like it was overhyped...tons of issues

Bxrider117

Reaction score
yea, i agree, give it a few days since there will always be some kinks. No phone (how matter how hyped) is perfect. If you don't believe me just head over to the iphone4 forums and you will see what i'm talking about.

i'm a blackberry convert too so i know what you are talking about regarding the "just have it work" mentality. But i think that attitude comes from us being familiary with the blackberry system and all the ins and outs etc... seriously how long did we live with the crappy blackberry OS and browser etc...?

I think once you get a feel of the phone and all the ins and outs of the android system, you will love it.

Oh God tell me about it. The browser is a breath of fresh air for sure. I just hope these issues are mostly network and server related due to heavy traffic...and that a suitable iTunes sync software will become available at some point. With Android's growing popularity, I'd imagine it'd be coming.

Another downside...and this is a problem with all Motorola Android phones according to my research, is that they don't get along with Infiniti and Nissan bluetooth stacks.

When someone calls, they can't hear me and their voice sounds muffled, I have to transfer the call to the headset then hit phone again to reactivate the bluetooth and it works fine. Also kinda stinks that you can't transfer your phonebook to the bluetooth stack, you have to enter them all one by one, manually. I knew that going into buying the phone though.

Welcome to the World of Android!!!

I would say be patient. I remember when I made the transition from BB Storm to an Eris then to Moto Droid 1, it was difficulty but eventually I got the hang of it and i never will look back. I say give it a few days and you will be in love with the Droid X, I am sure of that!!!

Womp

Reaction score
I can assure you that all those issues (Cept the battery) are probably the Google servers being overloaded by prime time new Droid X owners. It isn't the phone per say but it's communication with where it is getting information from.

Don't bail yet. :)

OP
F

fecurtis

Reaction score
I can assure you that all those issues (Cept the battery) are probably the Google servers being overloaded by prime time new Droid X owners. It isn't the phone per say but it's communication with where it is getting information from.

Don't bail yet. :)

Follow up on the battery issue that my friend is having...turns out its a faulty wall charger. No issues when she plugs it into her computer via USB.

But yeah I'll wait it out, I really want to see what this thing is capable of once it has all the resources available at its disposal.

Last edited:

littlerick

Reaction score
i've got a stupid question but do you have a google voice account? if not you gotta sign up for it first.

ChrisEvo8

Reaction score
My phone is flawless and running perfect. All my pictures and songs from old Droid are all transferred . Also running launcher pro.

Reaction score
I mean, it seems like it'd be a great phone if it worked...

-Doubletwist takes forever to sync to iTunes and when it finally does, it misses practically all of my playlists.
-I just bought an app, I got an email saying I was charged, but it won't install, it keeps saying "Authorizing Purchase", when I try to cancel and get a refund, it gives me an error saying there's a problem with the server. So I was charged for an app that I can't even install and it won't let me get a refund. Luckily it was only $0.99
-Visual Voicemail with Verizon doesn't work, it won't connect.
-I try Google Voice, I get an error saying that it can't verify my phone number.

I'm giving this phone a few days but it looks like I'll probably be going back to Blackberry...that phone at least worked.

Figures...my other friend who got one today is in a similar boat...her battery won't even stay on for more than an hour or two before it dies.

1. Doubletwist sucks, google music is coming......sometime
2. It has taken up to 5 min or so for my phone to authorize purchases before
3. Don't you have to put the VVM on your Verizon plan?
4. Sign up for Google Voice, im pretty sure the invitation only process is over so signup should be pretty quick compared to my 6-7 month wait

OP
F

fecurtis

Reaction score

-Doubletwist takes forever to sync to iTunes and when it finally does, it misses practically all of my playlists.
-I just bought an app, I got an email saying I was charged, but it won't install, it keeps saying "Authorizing Purchase", when I try to cancel and get a refund, it gives me an error saying there's a problem with the server. So I was charged for an app that I can't even install and it won't let me get a refund. Luckily it was only $0.99
-I try Google Voice, I get an error saying that it can't verify my phone number.

I'm giving this phone a few days but it looks like I'll probably be going back to Blackberry...that phone at least worked.

Figures...my other friend who got one today is in a similar boat...her battery won't even stay on for more than an hour or two before it dies.

1. Doubletwist sucks, google music is coming......sometime
2. It has taken up to 5 min or so for my phone to authorize purchases before
3. Don't you have to put the VVM on your Verizon plan?
4. Sign up for Google Voice, im pretty sure the invitation only process is over so signup should be pretty quick compared to my 6-7 month wait

Good to know. And I've always had VVM, it was on my last phone, I'm still signed up for it (even if you weren't, you can sign up for it once you open the app).

The phone is growing on me and I downloaded this launcherpro app....holy crap...I could spend all day customizing that...but I'm too exhausted.

Speaking of launcherpro, I can get to that home screen interface, but if I wanted to go back to the one that shipped with the phone, how would I do that?

Reaction score
uninstall launcher pro as if it was a normal app

settings - applications - manage apps - find the app and hit uninstall

And ive never had VVM but as i said i have GV and i really like it. Though i need to change it to not send me an email and text message along with the normal GV notification. The voice to text translator is pretty cool to see what the person said (or atleast pretty close) in a situation where you cant use the phone itself to call GV or play the message.

BOA

Reaction score
My phone has gotten better and better as the day went on. It was really really slow earlier and the phone as laggy. But this evening it is running smooth. I always expect issues with anything I buy anything on the first day. it's the techie in me that makes me ride on the bleeding edge.

Hang in there; things will get better. I mean my market started running really slow and it was missing apps. However by mid day the apps started showing.

Good luck; be patient!

Reaction score
My phone has gotten better and better as the day went on. It was really really slow earlier and the phone as laggy. But this evening it is running smooth. I always expect issues with anything I buy anything on the first day. it's the techie in me that makes me ride on the bleeding edge.

Hang in there; things will get better. I mean my market started running really slow and it was missing apps. However by mid day the apps started showing.

Good luck; be patient!

The phone was prob running slow cause it was syncing all the new accounts you were making combined with the 25k other new X owners doing the same thing

imronburgundy

Reaction score

I was worried when i read the title, but upon reading your post, I'm happy. None of those issues remotely have anything to do with the phone. Visual voicemail is a gimmick. :icon_ banana:

BOA

Reaction score

Good luck; be patient!

The phone was prob running slow cause it was syncing all the new accounts you were making combined with the 25k other new X owners doing the same thing

Exactly!!!!! So far I like this phone. I just hate the fact that we can't root it and it's been locked down so much!!

KevinWP

Reaction score
I've read it elsewhere and posted it elsewhere...
iSyncr for the itunes music solution.

It just works.