This phone seems like it was overhyped...tons of issues

fecurtis

Reaction score
I mean, it seems like it'd be a great phone if it worked...

-Doubletwist takes forever to sync to iTunes and when it finally does, it misses practically all of my playlists.
-I just bought an app, I got an email saying I was charged, but it won't install, it keeps saying "Authorizing Purchase", when I try to cancel and get a refund, it gives me an error saying there's a problem with the server. So I was charged for an app that I can't even install and it won't let me get a refund. Luckily it was only $0.99
-Visual Voicemail with Verizon doesn't work, it won't connect.
-I try Google Voice, I get an error saying that it can't verify my phone number.

I'm giving this phone a few days but it looks like I'll probably be going back to Blackberry...that phone at least worked.

Figures...my other friend who got one today is in a similar boat...her battery won't even stay on for more than an hour or two before it dies.

Last edited:

darreno1

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but NONE of those things you listed seem to have anything to with the phone itself.

aldaudio

Reaction score
brand new phone, tons of people using networks, expect bugs, errors, server issues.... give it a couple days.

im not really a fan of getting tech things on launch, theres always issues that dont get fixed until a later release.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
F

fecurtis

Reaction score
brand new phone, tons of people using networks, expect bugs, errors, server issues.... give it a couple days.

im not really a fan of getting tech things on launch, theres always issues that dont get fixed until a later release.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

That'd explain the visual voicemail issues and possibly the marketplace issue (influx of folks on it loading up with apps).

I just hope you're right.

While this thread exists, is there a quicker, better way to sync to iTunes?

nyijedi

Reaction score
Ummm....if a battery is dying after 1-2 hours of use, there's obviously something wrong with that particular battery. I would have thought this was common sense....

OP
F

fecurtis

Reaction score
Yeah that's true. I just bought something called tapatalk which i've seen ppl use. That worked fine so im not sure what's going on. Ill give it a few days to see if its a network problem.

I guess i came off as a whiny idiot so feel free to flame me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

whec716

Reaction score
- Double twist sucks from the droid right now - takes forever, then says it didn't install, when it did.
- Are you trying through 3g or wifi?
-HAven't tried visual voicemail.
- no problems with google voice here

-Doubletwist takes forever to sync to iTunes and when it finally does, it misses practically all of my playlists.
-I just bought an app, I got an email saying I was charged, but it won't install, it keeps saying "Authorizing Purchase", when I try to cancel and get a refund, it gives me an error saying there's a problem with the server. So I was charged for an app that I can't even install and it won't let me get a refund. Luckily it was only $0.99
-I try Google Voice, I get an error saying that it can't verify my phone number.

I'm giving this phone a few days but it looks like I'll probably be going back to Blackberry...that phone at least worked.

Figures...my other friend who got one today is in a similar boat...her battery won't even stay on for more than an hour or two before it dies.

Reaction score
Yeah that's true. I just bought something called tapatalk which i've seen ppl use. That worked fine so im not sure what's going on. Ill give it a few days to see if its a network problem.

Hey man, I am a Blackberry user of over 4 years. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Droid X last week and I have been using it ever since... I forwarded my BB to the Demo Droid, setup all my email accounts, etc.

I have had none of the issues that you speak of, though I haven't purchased any apps until I get my perminent DX (Friday).

In regards to your iTunes issues, do you have DRM files, or are they all free of digital rights? If they are free of rights, you might just want to do a traditional file copy from your PC to the phone's memory card. It kinda stands to reason that a Google OS phone wouldn't work correctly with iTunes. (Plus you're severely overpaying for your music and videos!)

OP
F

fecurtis

Reaction score
- Double twist sucks from the droid right now - takes forever, then says it didn't install, when it did.
- Are you trying through 3g or wifi?
-HAven't tried visual voicemail.
- no problems with google voice here

I'm trying it through WiFi. I tried doing it on the network, same result.

I've also tried using Google Voice via both wifi and the network, no luck.

Visual Voice Mail appears to be working now though.

OP
F

fecurtis

Reaction score

Hey man, I am a Blackberry user of over 4 years. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Droid X last week and I have been using it ever since... I forwarded my BB to the Demo Droid, setup all my email accounts, etc.

I have had none of the issues that you speak of, though I haven't purchased any apps until I get my perminent DX (Friday).

In regards to your iTunes issues, do you have DRM files, or are they all free of digital rights? If they are free of rights, you might just want to do a traditional file copy from your PC to the phone's memory card. It kinda stands to reason that a Google OS phone wouldn't work correctly with iTunes. (Plus you're severely overpaying for your music and videos!)

I'd say about 85% of my library is DRM free.

And yeah it does stand to reason, however RIM figured out a way (so long as the songs in your library are DRM free). Weird thing is, Motorola has a service similar to RIM's Desktop Media Manager, maybe it doesn't like Windows 7 and the Droid X. With the Droid X, it'd suddenly give me an error saying there's no SD card forcing me to do a battery pull and other times it'd just cause my computer to crash.

I'll have to do it the old fashioned way until another solution turns up, which isn't too big of a deal. At least I have Pandora and Sirius XM which work great.

jtdiddy

Reaction score
yea, i agree, give it a few days since there will always be some kinks. No phone (how matter how hyped) is perfect. If you don't believe me just head over to the iphone4 forums and you will see what i'm talking about.

i'm a blackberry convert too so i know what you are talking about regarding the "just have it work" mentality. But i think that attitude comes from us being familiary with the blackberry system and all the ins and outs etc... seriously how long did we live with the crappy blackberry OS and browser etc...?

I think once you get a feel of the phone and all the ins and outs of the android system, you will love it.

ACalcutt

Reaction score
For people having issues with google voice, when it asks what account to use what are you choosing?

I remember I had an issue before where if I chose one of the accounts listed (Google Apps accounts) it would fail to verify my voicemail pin. If I chose something like "use other account" and manually put in my account information it worked fine. Could this be your issue?

OP
F

fecurtis

Reaction score
yea, i agree, give it a few days since there will always be some kinks. No phone (how matter how hyped) is perfect. If you don't believe me just head over to the iphone4 forums and you will see what i'm talking about.

i'm a blackberry convert too so i know what you are talking about regarding the "just have it work" mentality. But i think that attitude comes from us being familiary with the blackberry system and all the ins and outs etc... seriously how long did we live with the crappy blackberry OS and browser etc...?

I think once you get a feel of the phone and all the ins and outs of the android system, you will love it.

Oh God tell me about it. The browser is a breath of fresh air for sure. I just hope these issues are mostly network and server related due to heavy traffic...and that a suitable iTunes sync software will become available at some point. With Android's growing popularity, I'd imagine it'd be coming.

Another downside...and this is a problem with all Motorola Android phones according to my research, is that they don't get along with Infiniti and Nissan bluetooth stacks.

When someone calls, they can't hear me and their voice sounds muffled, I have to transfer the call to the headset then hit phone again to reactivate the bluetooth and it works fine. Also kinda stinks that you can't transfer your phonebook to the bluetooth stack, you have to enter them all one by one, manually. I knew that going into buying the phone though.

OP
F

fecurtis

Reaction score
For people having issues with google voice, when it asks what account to use what are you choosing?

I remember I had an issue before where if I chose one of the accounts listed (Google Apps accounts) it would fail to verify my voicemail pin. If I chose something like "use other account" and manually put in my account information it worked fine. Could this be your issue?

That's exactly what it's doing. Since VVM is working now it seems, I'll just stick with that.

Thanks for the post though!