The Official Thread for No Sound after HeadPhone Use

OP
Xerozix

Xerozix

Reaction score
We'll see what happens eventually. If there is a bad problem, it will cost motorola/verizon LOTS of money to go through and repair each phone out there.

tbever

Reaction score
I have a related but slightly different problem. When I plug in the headphone jack to an aux input in my car (phone in the car dock) the sound plays fine over the car stereo but I can't use the microphone on the phone! For example if I get a phone call I can pick it up and hear the other person over the stereo but they can't hear me! The voice dial also does not register any voice input. When I unplug the stereo jack, it works fine.

It worked initially when I first got the phone (Nov until early Dec). I think it may have stopped working properly when the update was released. Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Also is there a way to turn off the way the phone automatically goes into car mode when it is loaded onto the car dock? I would prefer that it just shows the regular screen ie disable the magnet response?

zfly9

Reaction score
There's too much to read here.. But I thought this was a feature.. And a great one at that... It pauses the music and hides in the background until you plug it back in. I like this because I am at work or the gym I can just pop them out when I'm done and carry on... Rather than unlocking the phone, going to the music, pressing pause, then taking them out.

OP
Xerozix

Xerozix

Reaction score
Push your AUX cable HARD into the phone and see if that makes a difference.

OP
Xerozix

Xerozix

Reaction score
Alright, looking at the tear apart pictures, it appears that the headphone jack is part of the case itself, rather than on the board. It is connected to the PCB using joints that are not soldered together, hence bad connection. Looks like a design flaw.

biglipps66

Reaction score
Mine is partially crackly as well. Kinda sucks but not sure how often Ill use the jack really. Mine doesnt cut out really but the jack is certainly a little bit wiggly.

shademar

Reaction score
There's too much to read here.. But I thought this was a feature.. And a great one at that... It pauses the music and hides in the background until you plug it back in. I like this because I am at work or the gym I can just pop them out when I'm done and carry on... Rather than unlocking the phone, going to the music, pressing pause, then taking them out.

I think that's the way it's meant to work, but some people are having issues where rather than the music being paused, all sound output is lost from the phone when the jack is removed (that is, it acts as though the jack is still plugged in and is trying to send sound to non-connected hardware..)

Great for pausing a song, not so great for making a call.

I haven't this problem or any related aux port issues on droid #2

OP
Xerozix

Xerozix

Reaction score
Alright. Looks like it's a bad headphone jack.

Sound resumes to play out of the speaker when I unplug the headphone jack now.

When I plug in my headphones, I hear a click, which turns on headphone sound.

tbever

Reaction score
I have a related but slightly different problem. When I plug in the headphone jack to an aux input in my car (phone in the car dock) the sound plays fine over the car stereo but I can't use the microphone on the phone! For example if I get a phone call I can pick it up and hear the other person over the stereo but they can't hear me! The voice dial also does not register any voice input. When I unplug the stereo jack, it works fine.

It worked initially when I first got the phone (Nov until early Dec). I think it may have stopped working properly when the update was released. Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Also is there a way to turn off the way the phone automatically goes into car mode when it is loaded onto the car dock? I would prefer that it just shows the regular screen ie disable the magnet response?

I found my own fix. I was using an AV cable (ie 3 wire with right and left audio and a video connector) for the ipod to my car's AV system. I replaced the cable with a regular audio only cable (ie 3.5 mm to RCA 2 wire) and everything is working fine. I am not sure what the interaction was but it is all good now.

zfly9

Reaction score

I think that's the way it's meant to work, but some people are having issues where rather than the music being paused, all sound output is lost from the phone when the jack is removed (that is, it acts as though the jack is still plugged in and is trying to send sound to non-connected hardware..)

Great for pausing a song, not so great for making a call.

I haven't this problem or any related aux port issues on droid #2

Oh wow yeah I am actually having problems where on some calls I have to put it on speakerphone because I don't hear anything.. I never knew this was the issue..

What do you mean by Droid #2?

shademar

Reaction score
Oh wow yeah I am actually having problems where on some calls I have to put it on speakerphone because I don't hear anything.. I never knew this was the issue..

What do you mean by Droid #2?

I was having other problems with the jack (started with a bit of static, developed into the sound cutting in and out and music programs autopausing if the headphone cord was jostled at all) so I arranged a return. I figured all of the problems might be related...the new unit hasn't had any issues, which makes me still think it's hardware and not software that's the root cause.

shcommish

Reaction score
Ok, so this happened to me for the second time over the weekend. I was listening to Pandora radio over the car stereo and when I unplugged it, I lost the sound for calls again. I probably should call and get my Droid replaced but I hestitate because I don't have any of the problems that other people are talking about on here!

actrack03

Reaction score
I use the headphone jack multiple times a day! Every time I get in the car I put it in the car mount, hook it up the my stereo via aux cable, and connect it to my rapid charger and I use my headphones to stream music while at the gym. I have never had the sound issue after unplugging the cables. I do have a slight crackle in the background when I'm in the car but its not an issue with the jack, its only when I have it connected to the car charger at the same time. I figure its just a result of the electrical current going into the phone via the rapid charger. I am running 2.1 however so maybe it is an issue with the 2.0.1 release.

beefydoc

Reaction score
I am done with the Droid because of this problem

I regrettably had to return my Droid today to Verizon for this very problem. The problem, is that anytime I use the headphone jack to listen to tunes or podcasts in the car and then remove the chord from the jack both the phone speaker (the actual speaker for the phone that is at the top of the touchscreen) and the speaker phone do not work. The only way to get them to work again is to reboot the phone. This is the second phone I have had with this problem, and Verizon seemed unwilling or unable to let me exchange it for a third phone.
Because I bought the Droid to replace my old smart phone and my Ipod, not being able to easily switch between music and phone calls was a dealbreaker for me. I was up against the 30 day return window with Verizon, so I had to decide whether I wanted to wait on a software upgrade to fix the problem. A software upgrade that may never come.
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the Droid otherwise. I guess I will just have to wait on another Android phone to come out that I can use with Verizon (maybe an unlocked Nexus One) or just get a iPhone in a couple of months when my Verizon contract runs out. I have searched the forum and have seen a couple of threads that touch on this issue, but they seem to all meander into posts about a static problem in the headphone jack which I did not have. Is this a widespread problem? I have to believe it is since both my phones were essentially doing the same thing.
The worst part is that now I have to reactivate my WinMo smartphone. It's like going from HDTV to a 12" black and white TV

zasran

Reaction score
Did you try t contact Motorola support?

I had a similar problem but it only happened twice so far (I regularly use headphone jack to listen to Droid on a stereo at home), not sure if it was after unplugging the audio cable, only noticed it in the middle of the day.

What happened is that the regular phone speaker would not work at all (I did not hear dialtone or people talking after they picked up). Second time this happened I tried speakerphone and bluetooth, both worked. Reboot fixed the problem.

And yes, people with electrical problem seem to highjack these threads which are, are fat as I can tell, not related to bad connector problem, but one way or another there doesn't seem to be any insight into this.

ero