The Official Thread for No Sound after HeadPhone Use

Denise1468

Reaction score
I love this forum! All this time I've thought I was hitting the mute button while in a call. Live and learn,...and read droid forums!

FireDroid

Reaction score
just tried mine which is a built #45, had it since 12/15. It works no problem under all circumstances!

GohanBurner

Reaction score
I am on my third droid...they all have loose headphone jacks and had the same "let's get stuck in headphone mode" problem. It is a hardware AND software problem.

lvlln

Reaction score
So I'm having this problem and am considering sending it into Motorola for a replacement after unrooting it. I'm no longer under contract with Verizon and I bought it at a Best Buy, so I doubt I can just get a replacement at a VZW store.

What have the turnaround time been like for people sending into Motorola? This is my only smartphone and I use it mainly as a media player and internet browser, and though I have a Razr as a backup, the days without the phone would make my commute pretty horrible. So if it would take over a week, I'm not so sure it'd be worth it, because the issue, while annoying, is pretty easy to work around. And maybe getting another set of headphones would fix it anyway.

GWDragon

Reaction score
I hate being a "me too"er, but I just encountered the headphone problem twice. Just got the phone 3 days ago, updated:

FW: 2.0.1
BaseBand: C_01.3E.01P
Kernel: 2.6.29-omap1-g0dd7e0b
Build: ESD56
(just in case it might be specific)

I have an old cheap radio transmitter for the car (small range, like 6 inches). I can plug my phone into that, listen to it on my radio, and like everyone else, when I unplug it, it looses sound. Reboot fixed (I'm a computer tech, we reboot everything first).

What I DID notice is that my headphones in the house and an Aux cable in the house had no problems (all are only L/R headsets, no 3 or 4 plugs for L/R/Mic/Vid).
(so far, already mentioned).

SO, what I did notice, I have the rubber case for mine, I hate scratching edges, I like the grip, ETC. BUT, it is a little close to the plug. I'm wondering if the plug wasn't in ALL the way, but enough to hear music properly. The plug may detect it go in, but it never gets the unplugged switch due to the lack of depth. It also took some firm pushing to get the "bad" plug to "bottom out" when I re-tested. (it seemed to work when I firmly plugged it in and then unpluged it)

Also, the plug for me that doesn't work, is a 90 degree elbow plug. The plugs that did work seamlessly were all straight plugs. The plastic around the plug was a little smaller than normal, so it didn't touch anything around the plug.

I just wanted to give some of you out there other idea's for what may be causing it. No static on my unit so far.

Companyohero

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to reboot, that's BS. Having the same problem hooking up an audio cable from the Droid to my AUX input in my car. Disconnect the audio cable to make a call, call goes through, but no phone audio. Funny thing is though it doesn't happen when I receive a call; I can disconnect the audio cable, and the phone works fine.
two things i've noticed on how to solve the problem.

1. put the phone on speaker and off again will fix the problem.
2. insert headphones and remove them again will fix the problem.

#1 doesn't actually work. Maybe with your phone but its the first thing I tried when I encountered it for the first time.

justinGr

Reaction score
I have this problem now, and have never used the headphone jack. Had the phone one week. Only thing I did prior to this happening was uninstall a few sound apps I downloaded from the market. They were goofy so I uninstalled them. The phone worked the call before I did this, then 20 minutes later I get a call and no sound. Got home, read this, and they do work with the headphones. I can not get the phone to work without the headphones. I don't get a headphone icon on the phone (not sure if it has one). I reinstalled the two Family Guy sound apps and still nothing. I am taking it to Verizon today. Only thing I can think of is that by pushing the power button so many times, my big fingers are also pushing down on the jack connector and made the issue.

To bad. I like this phone.

justinGr

Reaction score
Just returned from Verizon with a new Moto Droid. My observation is this. The phone that had the issue, the headphone jack was raised up above the deck on the phone by a small amount. You could wobble it around with your finger. I think hitting the power button may have caused it to become loose. The new phone has this jack recessed so it is below the surface of the case.
Just my thoughts..

yoboom21

Reaction score
My problem is just the inverse, I get sound through my speakers, but not through headphones that I put in the jack. I've tried three different headphones/ jacks, and none of them work. I've tried adjusting the volume on the phone and on one of the pairs of headphones, I've tried to adjust that volume too. Please reply if you know of any fixes. I'd really prefer to not have to replace the Droid, if that's even part of warranty. That's one of the biggest reasons I got the phone, for the 3.5mm jack.

trishamil

Reaction score
Found a work around

So sorry, but I've not read this entire post, so I apologize if this has been covered. I have had this problem for a while too. It has been getting worse. My problem is only when I unplug from my AUX cord, not my headphones.

So this time, when it happened again, I plugged my headphones (never had a problem with these) in and immediately removed them from the jack & then I had sound.

To me this sounds like a hardware problem with the phone's jack. I called Motorola today about this because I couldn't stand it anymore and after explaining my situation, they acted like they've never heard of this before. Is there anyway to bring this thread to the attention of Motorola, Verizon & Google?

I'll keep checking back with you all for some sort of solution, and I will actually read the entire post.

Trish

PS I really didn't have much play in my jack either

Nate5176

Reaction score
I got the same problem, and it's making me REALLY mad. has ANYONE found a fix or definite reason why it's occurring yet?

darreno1

Reaction score
So sorry, but I've not read this entire post, so I apologize if this has been covered. I have had this problem for a while too. It has been getting worse. My problem is only when I unplug from my AUX cord, not my headphones.

So this time, when it happened again, I plugged my headphones (never had a problem with these) in and immediately removed them from the jack & then I had sound.

To me this sounds like a hardware problem with the phone's jack. I called Motorola today about this because I couldn't stand it anymore and after explaining my situation, they acted like they've never heard of this before. Is there anyway to bring this thread to the attention of Motorola, Verizon & Google?

I'll keep checking back with you all for some sort of solution, and I will actually read the entire post.

Trish

PS I really didn't have much play in my jack either

I'll repeat this cause I've run into it (and seen it) many times on different phones (iPhone / Palm Pre / Droid). Just today for the first time it happened to my Droid and I did just like you plug it back in and unplugged it and it worked. This is most likely a software issue. I first experienced it with my iPhone 3g and that was the fix. I never had it on my Pre ( didn't own it long enough)but others have, and it was the same solution - unplug the headphones or aux cable(with the music playing) and plug them back in. This should fix 90% of the issues. It's a glitch that's common on these software 'switches' that's supposed to switch or reroute the volume back out the speakers.

No piece of software (or hardware) is perfect. I'm not saying you should just accept all glitches and not complain. However none of these pieces of technology (NONE!!) has been perfected. All of these smartphones work the same way with the jack. Taking back your phone for this isn't going to solve it. If you listen to music a lot, it will eventually happen again. Maybe an update would fix it eventually.

Now for the people with obviously bad hardware, like loose jacks or phones that NEVER recover the sound out the speakers no matter what, then of course take them back and get a replacement cause that's not normal.

JRFogarty

Reaction score
This happened to me for the first time today and I've have Droid since week 1. I was using the dock with speakers. Unplugged them when leaving and no audio when trying to make a few calls (speakerphone worked fine). So i did the reboot thing and it worked. If it's a software problem, hopefully it'll be fixed in the next update.

ebay2tr

Reaction score
I started having this problem two weeks ago every once in awhile.

Last week it was happening more often so I took it to a corporate Verizon store with a tech and was told that they had never heard of the problem ...WHAT...They told me to just wait until the next update and that it would probably be fixed.

Prior to yesterday if I put the caller on speaker phone or rebooted the phone then it would go back to "normal". But alas, yesterday was the worst...I can no longer hear ANYONE who calls me....nothing I do will make the phone work any longer.

I have literally tried everything...(plug, unplug), (ctrl, alt, delete), (pressing power button & menu), (multiple reboots),(multiple battery removals), (removal of audio apps), (sound quality tweak), etc., etc., etc.

I have spent hours and hours searching & reading every available forum, website, etc. searching for possible fixes to no avail. I cannot speak to everyone who calls on speakerphone...not at all practical.

I am totally in love with my droid with this HUGE exception...I had hoped it would be till death do we part...but yesterday I was close to killing my phone...lol

Help!!!!!