The Official Thread for No Sound after HeadPhone Use

labrat

Reaction score
Thanks, that worked! ^^ I just plug and unplug a regular pair of earbuds, and it restores the audio back to the speaker. Weird.

bogdan912

Reaction score
IMO this issue is caused by a bad headphone jack. It can't create a solid connection. Has anyone tried to get Verizon to replace the phone for them?

ryno2292

Reaction score
I just realized yesterday that I have this same issue with my droid. No sound after unplugging my headphones. Restarting the phone is the only way I can fix it. I am 100% sure I did not have this problem prior to the 2.0.1 update, not sure if the update caused the problem, or it's just a coincidence.

darreno1

Reaction score
These type of problems are very common on different smartphones. The Palm Pre boards have similar threads and I had issues with my iPhone. Plugging in an unplugging like mentioned above usually solved it.

So far with my Droid, I've had no issues and I use it with my car stereo quite often.

Companyohero

Reaction score
I have the same issue. My simple car AUX cable, when removed from the phone, disables my speaker unless I turn it into speaker phone. Fixing the actual problem involves rebooting my phone.

Flaw #2 I've found, is that the Droid does not work with the AUX cable and car charger attached. I'm NOT having the same problem as other people with the music stopping, I have major static and washed out sound issues when both are plugged in.

darreno1

Reaction score
I have the same issue. My simple car AUX cable, when removed from the phone, disables my speaker unless I turn it into speaker phone. Fixing the actual problem involves rebooting my phone.

Flaw #2 I've found, is that the Droid does not work with the AUX cable and car charger attached. I'm NOT having the same problem as other people with the music stopping, I have major static and washed out sound issues when both are plugged in.

This is not specific to the Droid and is normal with pretty much all phones when plugged into to a car charger. It's called ground loup interference. To get rid of it you need a ground loop isolator:

Ground Loop Isolator - RadioShack.com

bwhite757

Reaction score
I will be taking my Droid back to VZW tomorrow to see if they will replace mine. My headphone issue is driving me crazy. I use my phone to listen to music on the way to work, and on the plane twice a week, and when I'm working out. EVERYTIME I unplug my headphones or aux jack I have no sound and have to reboot the Droid. I'm also getting some static in the sound quality. Hopefully I get one of the magic Droids where the jack actually works everytime... ;)

darreno1

Reaction score
I will be taking my Droid back to VZW tomorrow to see if they will replace mine. My headphone issue is driving me crazy. I use my phone to listen to music on the way to work, and on the plane twice a week, and when I'm working out. EVERYTIME I unplug my headphones or aux jack I have no sound and have to reboot the Droid. I'm also getting some static in the sound quality. Hopefully I get one of the magic Droids where the jack actually works everytime... ;)

Have you tried a different pair of headphones?

bwhite757

Reaction score
Have you tried a different pair of headphones?

Yep, I have 4 sets of earbuds. 1 I keep in my car, 1 in my travel bag, 1 at work, 1 at home. Also the Aux port for my car causes the issue too....

Zich

Reaction score
I had this same problem with my Dare. I discovered it was gunk build-up in the headphone jack that caused the phone to think headphones were still in. Not sure if this problem is the same or not.

Companyohero

Reaction score
Can't be the same because my droid is brand new, it happened this way right out of the box and used all new cords.

dopeskwyd

Reaction score
update....I did some checking last night and this morning and I've noticed that if I leave the music playing through the headphone jack when I unplug the headphones/aux cord it will switch back to the speaker every time and the earpiece will work for phone calls. If I stop the music then unplug, it becomes a no-go situation.

just a little food for thought

krobi26

Reaction score
interesting...but thats not how it works for me. If I use a pair of headphones that I know causes the problem, it will always cause the problem regardless of whether I pause the music before I unplug the headphones.

butterfras

Reaction score
Mine started post 2.01
I can only fix it by repeatedly plugging and removing the cable

linkish

Reaction score
Okay. I had originally written about not being able to corroborate the headphone jack hypothesis, but prior to posting I decided to test it one last time. I use the headphone jack a lot, several times a day, and didn't originally think that it was related seeing that my problem had magically worked itself out about a week ago. I went to go fuel up and decided to test it out one more time, just to be sure. I found that I can now corroborate this, although in my case it took a pretty good bit of jostling the cable around by its connector. Also, I was not unable to get it back to normal; everything seems to be working fine.

Interestingly enough, I was testing with Android's native music player, but jostling the cable activated Pandora. Funny how these things work.