The Official DF Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since the Bionic and Razr already have Bootstrap and CM being worked on (plus some other solid ROMs already), and ICS source is out... and the Rezound will hopefully have perm root soon, I'm almost over the Gnex. So used to hacking these phones anyway, I'll easily be able to get a great aosp experience on one of the above said phones. And I'll like the hardware more... :)

But wait... maybe that's what VZW wants... push these other phones first!

Last edited:

just4747

Reaction score
The only thing I like more about the GNex (well something as far as hardware goes that cannot be changed in the others), is the no hardware buttons. ICS is optimized for this and the GNex is the only one that can use it. It's just, cooler lol..

Can't get that with any other phone right now and no future phone in sight with it yet either.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Now we can add 21st for pre orders and 28th for release again according to Miami1683 on twitter.

Miami1683 David Farnham

OK so don't hold me to this one but I'm told the 21st for preorders and a 28th release is pending #timewilltell

I'm goin with this one. After all, those promo posters were sent out by VZW no?!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Matias did say "you'll be able to purchase it in November" - so that could still hold true in either scenario - i.e. pre-orders

doublea500

Reaction score
The only thing I like more about the GNex (well something as far as hardware goes that cannot be changed in the others), is the no hardware buttons. ICS is optimized for this and the GNex is the only one that can use it. It's just, cooler lol..

Can't get that with any other phone right now and no future phone in sight with it yet either.

it is alot cooler. i care more about the seeing the phone not have its dock buttons when its off rather then not seeing the buttons during a video for a bigger screen. it is just a nicer, more professional feel that this phone gives. in a way i can compare that to many of the pictures in the "post your homescreen" thread. you can see, people go for a nicer more simplistic view with few-no apps on the homescreens.

scrub571

Reaction score

No disrespect but I would question this statement. I believe the Gnex was optimized for ICS...

Having used Liquid's AOSP rom on the tbolt (GB 2.3.7 build), the pure google experience can be had on multiple non nexus devices. Now that the ICS source will be the new base, you can have a great ICS AOSP pure google experience on many new outstanding devices, not just the Gnex. Even when ICS updates are released the AOSP roms will be updated with the new brew, so you'll stay current and not rely on carrier OTA releases.

All that said I will have one on launch day... Jus sayin

just4747

Reaction score
No disrespect but I would question this statement. I believe the Gnex was optimized for ICS...

Having used Liquid's AOSP rom on the tbolt (GB 2.3.7 build), the pure google experience can be had on multiple non nexus devices. Now that the ICS source will be the new base, you can have a great ICS AOSP pure google experience on many new outstanding devices, not just the Gnex. Even when ICS updates are released the AOSP roms will be updated with the new brew, so you'll stay current and not rely on carrier OTA releases.

All that said I will have one on launch day... Jus sayin

No I mean the way ICS has virtual buttons (optimized for the device to not have/need hw buttons- maybe optimized wasn't the best term), clearly it is meant for that to be the standard I think. And right now the GN is the only phone that accommodates this.

scrub571

Reaction score
No I mean the way ICS has virtual buttons (optimized for the device to not have/need hw buttons- maybe optimized wasn't the best term), clearly it is meant for that to be the standard I think. And right now the GN is the only phone that accommodates this.

I agree

Ricardo_r21

Reaction score
P3Droid

So here is the skinny..there is no stock in the us..orders will arrive at us customs around the 29th of November so best case scenario is a early to mid December launch.

DL also posted something about not being available till Dec. :(

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

just4747

Reaction score
Yeah those were posted in here already a little while ago. Depressing huh

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Nobody lit the Bong Signal, apologies for my tardiness. Also had to catch up, seventy some plus posts.
I appreciate the recommendation as OPer, but I would gladly watch Truss rock out with his Nexus out.
I didn't enter the thread to argue or dis P3, but DWB3 may drop in.
At the grocery store so trying to make it quick. Oops here he is...

DWB3, "I don't recall anyone giving guff about saying no Nexus on the 17th. I think it was saying later on in December, don't have twitter. Obviously someone got hot and bothered. I am heading to the border to go get these through customs and to the stores sometime in the week after Sunday as that day is for Football! Off to the border. Which border? Exactly. "

Sorry, he can be pushy but I still love him. I don't know what everyone is getting so freaked about. I thought we all agreed it wouldn't drop this week. So if you're all bummed that no date has been announced, make sure you signed up on the google and the verizon nexus sites.
I look forward to either getting an email, possibly even Sunday evening to give me that warm feeling, alerting me that the Nexus will be on the shelves at some point probably before the 28th. Until otherwise notified, I have no reason to expect anything else.
And if it isn't released until after the month, I will have clearly been incorrect. Though I will be wrong only based on my own guessing as my sources are in other arenas.
P3 did sound kind of worried, based on the exuberance of his tweet and the phone not releasing on the day nobody expected it to expect people from lands abroad.
Anyhoo, cant wait mates.
Oh and the person who asked about how long ahead do the stores get the stock, my guess is that it could even be that morning.
I like it like this cuz it's like someone is about to drop a mad bomb my way but it could be any second...

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
danceswithbongs

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Even when ICS updates are released the AOSP roms will be updated with the new brew, so you'll stay current and not rely on carrier OTA releases.

This only applies to us though. The average user has to wait months for carriers and manufacturers to pump out updates. The Nexus will get them first, without the need of Roms.

Ricardo_r21

Reaction score
I had posted it in the other thread about p3, first tweet. But it was closed and my family little rant was ignored lol. I can believe Verizon doesn't just step in and say something. Seems like they don't care about us, very frustrating

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Status
Not open for further replies.