The new update

1buda

Reaction score
Anybody else having problems with the new update? Mine updated a few days ago and was running fine till today, I have no connections. My wife's updated and it went dead. so they are sending out a replacement.

Thanks in advance.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
There has been numerous reports of issues.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Anybody else having problems with the new update? Mine updated a few days ago and was running fine till today, I have no connections. My wife's updated and it went dead. so they are sending out a replacement.

Thanks in advance.

As Jeffrey stated, there are quite a few reports of major issues. But there are also reports of RAZR series phones running just fine with KitKat. I have four in my family and all are working great with KitKat. If I was having the issues you described, I would do a Factory Data Reset (FDR). This was a whole new OS, with a lot of code changes. Many experts recommend a FDR after every new OS update. I have not done one yet, since the KK update, but I will at the first sign of issues. If you have never done a FDR...it will wipe everything on the phone and return it to a "stock - like" condition. Make sure all important files, pics, music, etc. are backed up to the SD card, your PC, cloud storage, etc. After a FDR, if the "Back Up My Data" and Automatic Restore options are checked in Settings > Backup & Restore, then Google will automatically start downloading all your apps again. If there are app conflicts causing the problems you are having now...they might just download the same problems again. After a FDR, I uncheck those before Play Store apps start to download automatically. Then, use the phone without Play Store apps for a while and see how it runs. If it runs much better, start to manually download apps a few at a time. Then, if a problem occurs, you have an idea which app (or apps) might be the cause and can deal with those. But if everything just downloads automatically and you have more issues, you don't know which apps are causing the problems. That's what I would do...for what it's worth. A FDR can clear up a lot of issues, it just takes a little time to set everything up again the way you want. But it can also be a good "spring cleaning" for your phone and you realize that you had a lot of "stuff" installed that you didn't really use / need.

Learjeff

Reaction score
I was running 4.1.2, and allowed the upgrade. After the upgrade, I didn't see any bugs, but I noticed three issues:

1) Color was removed from the info bar at the top. It took me a while to realize that I could still tell wifi "associated but no IP address assigned" (so, no internet) from "associated, with IP assigned". (It used to start white and then turn blue. It now starts pale white and turns bright white). But um, isn't color a good thing? I'm a big fan of making UIs that work for color blind people, but is making everything monochrome really the best way? Anyway, minor nitpick once I found I could tell IP address status.

2) In the “People” page, 4.1.2 had a tiny column at the right with the letters of the alphabet, so I could quickly jump to the contacts starting with a given letter. 4.2.4 doesn’t have that. I miss it; it was useful.

3) With 4.1.2, I can turn the ringer on and off very quickly and easily. I just click the power button to turn the screen on and there’s a widget to change the phone between ringing and silent (or vibrate, whichever I used last). With 4.2.4, this widget no longer appears, so I have to log in and use the volume buttons (hitting it 8 or so times to go between loudest ring and vibrate, or one more for silent.) If there’s a better shortcut, I can’t find it.

I see the improvements at Android 4.4 KitKat tips, tricks and secrets - Opinion - Trusted Reviews , and I'm not sure any of these are a big deal to me. I'm back on 4.1.2 (long story short: switched phones) and am pondering whether to put up with the daily nagging or upgrade.

Are there workarounds for #2 and 3?

Thanks!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
For #2 the only workaround I know of is the search feature on the People app. Click search and start to type their name.
For #3 With the screen on press the power button for 2 seconds. There are three options on the bottom of the popup Mute Vibrate and Ring.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Learjeff

Reaction score
For #2 the only workaround I know of is the search feature on the People app. Click search and start to type their name.
For #3 With the screen on press the power button for 2 seconds. There are three options on the bottom of the popup Mute Vibrate and Ring.
Thanks!