This new update is terrible

DroidTard

Reaction score
My HTC Eris went from being the BEST phone I've ever had to being the absolute WORST. Rebooted several times since the update a few days ago, and here are my problems:

Weather widget won't open
Typing slow, especially in text
touch screen seems misaligned and uncalibrated
About HALF the memory I used to have (as shown by Adv. Task Mgr)
browser(s) more sluggish
ringtones not working properly

I've checked here a few times and I'm shocked I don't see any threads talking about the magnitude of the waste of time this update has been. My wife has the identical phone, and is having exactly the same problems, except her weather widget works.

Anybody else having issues like this? Anybody fixed any of them?

tktouch12

Reaction score
my sister said after she got it her eris got a lot slower and laggier. there might be more, but she did say that.

rican408

Reaction score
I updated my gfs Eris. It has been all around better. Dunno what happened to urs....

iPirate

Reaction score
It is interesting to watch how often HTC updates their phones to the newest version of Android and how well they do it...

I hope they fix the problems for Eris users because it is going to turn some people off from Android if they don't.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
My wife's eris went from a full charge at 7am to dead by 1pm and now at 82% at 5:15pm!

Only thing I did different with the update is put on Juice Defender, even though it's not supposed to work on 2.1

OP
D

DroidTard

Reaction score
Did you try a factory reset?

Actually, I have an Eris, and the only factory reset option described that I found here isn't available for the Eris. I've gone to the Security screen in settings, and it's not there. Granted, I haven't read the entire forum here , LOL... HTC really screwed the pooch on this I think.

Even if we DO have to deal with it on an OS level with manual changes to our phone that require jumping through hoops and then our phones work brilliantly, how can they expect everybody to know and do this?

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
My HTC Eris went from being the BEST phone I've ever had to being the absolute WORST. Rebooted several times since the update a few days ago, and here are my problems:

Weather widget won't open
Typing slow, especially in text
touch screen seems misaligned and uncalibrated
About HALF the memory I used to have (as shown by Adv. Task Mgr)
browser(s) more sluggish
ringtones not working properly

I've checked here a few times and I'm shocked I don't see any threads talking about the magnitude of the waste of time this update has been. My wife has the identical phone, and is having exactly the same problems, except her weather widget works.

Anybody else having issues like this? Anybody fixed any of them?

there is a setting somewhere im not to sure where cause my girlfreind was talking about this but it has something to do with moving your phone quiets ringtones

sorry if that doesnt make sence

also to my girlfriend says her phone is more sluggish afterwards also

boonerat

Reaction score
Factory Reset

Factory reset is under privacy now with the 2.1 software.

AdBo

Reaction score
Sad Sad

I almost didn't get the Eris because 2.1 seemed perpetually delayed. Then, when I finally got it last week it has totally screwed the pooch. And by pooch I mean my phone.

Problems from least annoying to most:

Accelerometer - is either super sensitive or super sluggish. Camera opens in horizontal format no matter how the phone is.

Touch screen - sluggish and sloppy. things sort of drift off the screen for no reason. Almost invariably takes 2-3 times to open the lock screen and lock code.

Freezing up - this NEVER happened with 1.5 on my phone. I could go for days without rebooting. Now I need to reboot at least once or twice because...

Phone calls dont work - Incoming and outgoing calls don't always transmit sound. And this isnt exactly a minor glitch considering its a PHONE. The only solution is to reboot, which works for 2-3 phone calls, and then it'd dead silence again.

Taking it to the VZ store this afternoon - will report back on what they say.

Very sad...

AKS

Reaction score
Wife and I both have the Eris. He have had no problem with the 2.1 upgrade. I would say that my phone is performing better since the update.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wife and I both have the Eris. He have had no problem with the 2.1 upgrade. I would say that my phone is performing better since the update.

Yes, I imagine the vast majority of people are thinking this. But the vast majority doesn't even know there's a thread on the internet about it.

I think at least part of the problems people are having is not having their gmail account synced for contact back ups. A major mistake, it is a google phone.

Screwball

Reaction score
I learned this lil google contact sync trick from the Verizon tech. But keep in mind that you are syncing live to your google account for email, contacts, and calendar. And if your are having the problem syncing your contacts, just unmount your MicroSD chip and try syncing again with it unmounted, this usually does the trick and syncs perfectly. Maybe ya'all have done this already, but I had to do this when I installed the 2.1 upgrade.

brownm279

Reaction score
I got my new Eris DOWNGRADE and the thing won't mount to the PC. I can't get at my pictures and music. It was working fine before then.