The Great Debate

AceDROID

Reaction score
I have done a lot, and I mean A LOT, of reading here on the forums. I have seen that there are many different views and opinions on this subject, but I thought I should ask here.

The debate is, whether or not to Root the Droid.

I am aware that doing so gives me superuser permissions, and allows me to unlock the full potential of the phone... so that's not the debate. I'm all for doing things custom, and making it as unique as possible. I know I probably could have done a little more searching, but I just wanted to get some opinions and maybe possibly have a couple of concerns covered.

Bugless Beast vs. Sholes?

I'm petrified of bricking the phone, since I did buy it off of overstock and there is no warranty. I do not want a brick that costs me 120 a month haha. I know there are fool proof ways to do it, like this

[How To] Easily install Bugless Beast using only SPRecovery, Terminal Emulator, & zip

Also, I do not want to fry the processor.

The last real major concern for me is with the OTA update of 2.1 that everyone is going nuts about. I would like to update when the time comes, but does that require you to unroot your phone and go through the process all over again? Or, once you update to 2.1, do you have to wait till that one is exploited as well to be able to run the custom roms and everything?

I'm just curious to see what people think, what has worked for them, what problems they might have ran into, etc. It's a lot of reading that I have done, and know that I haven't read some (maybe even a majority, this place is filled with the knowhow) but I'm more geared to opinions really.

Any and all help/feedback/responses would be great. Looking to, if I do do this, probably do the root Tuesday Night. Thanks guys for the info, whatever it may be.

M

Matth3w

Yes you have to unroot to get the OTA. Glad you found my thread. So many reasons to root, the least of which are WiFi tether, overclock, easy screen shots, custom roms, 5 home screens, you name it.

gnmitchell

Reaction score
I have done a lot, and I mean A LOT, of reading here on the forums. I have seen that there are many different views and opinions on this subject, but I thought I should ask here.

I am aware that doing so gives me superuser permissions, and allows me to unlock the full potential of the phone... so that's not the debate. I'm all for doing things custom, and making it as unique as possible. I know I probably could have done a little more searching, but I just wanted to get some opinions and maybe possibly have a couple of concerns covered.

I'm petrified of bricking the phone, since I did buy it off of overstock and there is no warranty. I do not want a brick that costs me 120 a month haha. I know there are fool proof ways to do it, like this

[How To] Easily install Bugless Beast using only SPRecovery, Terminal Emulator, & zip

The last real major concern for me is with the OTA update of 2.1 that everyone is going nuts about. I would like to update when the time comes, but does that require you to unroot your phone and go through the process all over again? Or, once you update to 2.1, do you have to wait till that one is exploited as well to be able to run the custom roms and everything?

I'm just curious to see what people think, what has worked for them, what problems they might have ran into, etc. It's a lot of reading that I have done, and know that I haven't read some (maybe even a majority, this place is filled with the knowhow) but I'm more geared to opinions really.

Any and all help/feedback/responses would be great. Looking to, if I do do this, probably do the root Tuesday Night. Thanks guys for the info, whatever it may be.

I'm not going to tell you to root your phone or not to root. Everyone has different reasons why they do or don't.
IMO there are way more pluses in rooting your Droid then not. You can try custom Roms and themes, overclock it etc..
If you are worried about bricking your phone (which is extremely unlikely), I would make sure to read, read and read some more if you do decide to root. I know a lot of people have gone the sholes route since it does everything you need to root your phone and is very easy to follow along/do. But you could have an issue when going this route and if you've read up on it you have probably read up about it and know how to fix it. Sholes also has an option to unroot your phone back to stock very easily if you later want to get an OTA update. Yes when you root a phone it disables auto OTA updates.
No one knows for sure how long it will take to find another exploit to root in 2.1 after it's released. I would imagine it wouldn't take long, but you never know for sure. I could be wrong, but I don't beleive the Eris has been rooted yet and it came out the same time as the Droid.

OP
AceDROID

AceDROID

Reaction score
So, I made the decision, and did the jump. I am now running Bugless Beast, and followed your directions to a T. Time to explore/experiment. Hmm... =]

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So, I made the decision, and did the jump. I am now running Bugless Beast, and followed your directions to a T. Time to explore/experiment. Hmm... =]

Sounds like you've been busy since you got the Droid on Wednesday! Glad to see you're doing so well with that new toy!

robotkiller

Reaction score

You are not going to brick the phone. You can revert for OTA or wait for 2.1 ROMs to come out. If you unroot and go OTA for 2.1, you may lose the ability to root all together, if they close the exploit.

IMO, the single biggest reason to root is for the multitouch browser. It is significantly faster/smoother than the stock (crap) browser.

OP
AceDROID

AceDROID

Reaction score
I am running BB (0.)7.5 and am just kinda browsing around with what kind of roms I can put onto it... we'll see ultimately what the final product will be. Who knows, maybe I'll even try to come up with some ideas for some stuff =P