The Galaxy Nexus/Google Wallet experience

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by bsmith0731, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Snow02

Snow02 Active Member

Ratings:
    +9
    No id. But you will have to sign for anything over $50. This is why the app is pin protected with a timeout.

2. bsmith0731

bsmith0731 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I think most are so shocked you can do it they havent asked for an id yet.

Fyi there is a MasterCard pay pass locater app in the market

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

3. prowler85

prowler85 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I haven't used it yet, but will this weekend. May even go to McDonalds since I know they have paypass.....and I HATE McDonalds!! :)

As far as ID and large purchases, keep in mind this is intended for paypass type purchases, like gas, convenience store, fast food, etc. They even have it at University of Phoenix Stadium. It's intended to be for smaller purchases to keep lines moving. So I'd be surprised if you had a purchase over $50 (except on gas :blink:). So no, they should never ask for ID. It's just like waving the little key-tag cards that some banks issue.

4. pchakmak

pchakmak Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone worried about identity theft? Security issues?

5. bsmith0731

bsmith0731 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I think its secure enough.

Its not like its connected to your accounts. You do have to put in your security code every time to load funds.

6. dagdoot

dagdoot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I used this tonight at Wawa and the cashier thought i was stealing because she didnt believe the transaction went through..she said i didnt pay for it and i said i just did, theres the receipt and shes like no you didnt pay for it..im like what are you talkinga bout shes like how could you pay for it with your phone im like, its google wallet..shes like whats that? i have to get my manager i dont believe you im like uh ok..the manager comes over and sees the receipt and says im good to go..lol i love the attention..the guy behind me in line was like "hey is that the nexus, its so nice" and im like yea it is. hes like is that google wallet too? im like yea and he started askin how it worked. its definatly an attention getter.

7. Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer Active Member

Ratings:
    +74
    First experience sucked as expected. I went up to pay and it wouldn't work for like 15 seconds so I stood there like a moron. Finally it said "Received" or something liek that, but it didn't work, some sort of error, so I ended up just using my debit card. Horrible.

8. ryguy5254

ryguy5254 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Check list:
    Did you have funds in your 'prepaid card'?
    Did you have 3G/4G/Wifi connection?
    Was the machine that takes the card, 'paypass friendly'?
    Did you or the cashier press the "credit" button?
    Did you 'tap' the back of your phone (where the battery/antennae) resides on the machine?
    Did you tell the cashier "Ok, I'm trying out this new app, so bear with me okay? Let me see if it works, I should be able to pay it with my phone."?
    -If you said it above, you shouldn't look like a moron. Do you not have people skills? Did you just try it out to look special and important, and failed miserably?
    What did the error say?

9. Droid592

Droid592 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL nice ,I still haven't used mine because I have a question. Does this work at any location that has paypass or must it also have a Google wallet symbol?

Sent from my Unlocked & Rooted G Nexus

10. Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer Active Member

Ratings:
    +74
    I knew what I was doing, and yes I still looked like a moron for a few seconds. Yes I did show the cashier after a few seconds and she mentioned that this specific paypass machine probably wasn't working correctly. I tried it out because of the free $10 gogole deposits into your account, and I wanted to buy a movie that was a little under $10 with it, not to "look special and important" whatever you mean by that. If I remembered the exact error message, I would've mentioned it, but I don't.

I'm not saying google wallet is flawed or anything of the sorts, I'm merely mentioning my first experience as the thread is asking about.

11. bsmith0731

bsmith0731 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    From my experience look for the pay pass logo.

12. jleeusa

jleeusa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Used mine for the first time last night. Wasn't the smoothest but it worked. It wouldn't connect at first, I unlocked phone and the app asked for my pin. I'll figure out the quirks, its a bit of a novelty right now cause my debit card is still in my back pocket.

Search tags for this page

google wallet registration charged 1 dollar