My Verizon galaxy nexus experience

Reaction score
i find it hilarious that despite the numerous posts about ALL lte phones aving signal issues, people still blame all the phones rather than putting 2+2 together and realizing it's vzw's networks that's the problem :D

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
i find it hilarious that despite the numerous posts about ALL lte phones aving signal issues, people still blame all the phones rather than putting 2+2 together and realizing it's vzw's networks that's the problem :D

All phones arent created equal. I thought someone that had a Bionic would understand this.

Its not just the network. My RAZR and Rezound saw 4G in places my G Nex didnt. Before updates to the RAZR my Rezound had better 4G reception. Now they are on par.

You never explained how I can have a RAZR and Rezound side by side...and the Rezound is stuck in 1x while the RAZR is on 4G. I experienced 2 Rezounds with the same exact issues. My kids mother and her Nexus S isnt too good for reception. I know Sprints isnt good in our area....but her iPhone had better reception...same network.

At some point you have to admit the phone can play a part.....or the phone's software. Quality control, software, hardware...whatever it is....its not just the network. If thats the case....my RAZR would be acting as bad as ....both....the Rezounds I used.

Last edited:

eddie7

Reaction score
I traded my 32gb Razr that I bought in early December for a 1 week old GNex. I had read all the good and bad posts on the GNex so I was really nervous while making the trade. Now that I have had this phone for a month I can give my opinion. This is best phone I have ever owned. I have rooted and customized this phone to my liking. I get above average battery life and have had no signal issues. I live in Phx, AZ and 4G is solid here. I have no complaints about my Razr either. But the GNex has worked just as well in weak signal environments (my house). Even when I go to Munds Park in northern AZ I still get decent 3G signal. I've heard people say the GNex feels cheap, but I disagree. This is a solid phone with a great screen. DancingNexus

Reaction score
All phones arent created equal. I thought someone that had a Bionic would understand this.

Its not just the network. My RAZR and Rezound saw 4G in places my G Nex didnt. Before updates to the RAZR my Rezound had better 4G reception. Now they are on par.

You never explained how I can have a RAZR and Rezound side by side...and the Rezound is stuck in 1x while the RAZR is on 4G. I experienced 2 Rezounds with the same exact issues. My kids mother and her Nexus S isnt too good for reception. I know Sprints isnt good in our area....but her iPhone had better reception...same network.

At some point you have to admit the phone can play a part.....or the phone's software. Quality control, software, hardware...whatever it is....its not just the network. If thats the case....my RAZR would be acting as bad as ....both....the Rezounds I used.

my bionic (which i still own) had numerous issues stemming from moto's horrendous software. however, it's signal dropping just like my GN-and all other LTE phones that have ever hit the market :icon_eek:

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
I'll admit the 5MP camera was pretty stupid, but I decided to look past it. It's really not that bad to me. And I'm on my way back home from my vacation, so I'll try flashing AOKP before I do anything else. What's some of you guys favorite kernels to match it?
Why? Why is a 5MP camera on a PHONE stupid? Were you planning on becoming a professional photographer using your phone as your camera? Were you planning on printing off poster-sized photo? I think not. It isn't the megapixels that matter. It is the quality of the camera itself. The lens, the sensor and shutter. You could have a 12mp camera and it won't matter if he rest of the hardware sucks. 5mp is fine for a phone. You want something better, get a pocket-sized point & shoot.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why? Why is a 5MP camera on a PHONE stupid? Were you planning on becoming a professional photographer using your phone as your camera? Were you planning on printing off poster-sized photo? I think not. It isn't the megapixels that matter. It is the quality of the camera itself. The lens, the sensor and shutter. You could have a 12mp camera and it won't matter if he rest of the hardware sucks. 5mp is fine for a phone. You want something better, get a pocket-sized point & shoot.

Exactly. There's a common misconception that more megapixels = better quality. If you aren't blowing up your pictures to at least poster size, you'll never know the difference between 5 and 8 megapixels.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Syraz

Reaction score
Honestly a great experiance. From start just soo much fun to play with...
and this thing is solid. I know before I got it I heard "felt cheap" proved that wrong, err somewhat yesterday, in middle of a fight *yes this is bad anger control* I slammed phone on counter hard, the battery dented with my finger but everything is was unscathed sooo I am little impressed cause phone worked fine

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Exactly. There's a common misconception that more megapixels = better quality. If you aren't blowing up your pictures to at least poster size, you'll never know the difference between 5 and 8 megapixels.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I thought this was understood by everybody.FryFTW,plz read sndicate0017 post and learn from it.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
my bionic (which i still own) had numerous issues stemming from moto's horrendous software. however, it's signal dropping just like my GN-and all other LTE phones that have ever hit the market :icon_eek:

I keep hearing you blame vzw's lte network almost everytime someone brings up a nexus with lte issues. Though I do agree that the network started off rocky its seeing better days. Now I will agree that some issues experienced could be a result of the towers. But not all since we know their are a batch of bad nexus devices out there. I believe the issues people are experiencing could stem from one or a combination of 1) how nexus ics reports lte 2) bad devices 3) are with weak lte.

The other thing is you are comparing your experience with the bionic to other lte devices. The bionic, like the thunderbolt (htc's first), was motorola's first lte device that was supposed to have been scrapped. I know for a fact the bionic lte issues are not all related to the vzw lte network hiccups. I had a tbolt when it launched and had strong lte the entire time (still do). Know a person with a bionic in that same area and he kept having lte issues to where it almost never stayed connected. My rezound on ics showed better lte connectivity than my nexus did (before 4.04 radios). With the 4.04 radios the rezound shows a better dbm but the nexus speeds are faster (which makes me think the rezound is still reporting lte the same as it did on gb). I am waiting for the official updates for the razr and rezound to see if the oems continue to report lte the same as gb or if the report it like the nexus on ics. This will put the phones on equal footing, especially since the razr and nexus are both running ti omap processors, w will then get a chance to see the signal strength side by side. No matter how it plays out this should end the debate whether its the network or the hardware.

Last edited:

jerroedr

Reaction score
The only issues I have are during calls people fade in and out and I cant hear. Its not regular. and its impossible to tell if its my phone or the person I am calling. but it sucks...
im on the 4.04 radios fwiw

ronakshah2000

Reaction score
I returned mine. I wanted to love the Galaxy Nexus, and there's a lot to like coming from a DroidX. ICS is just a very nice visual user interface, and the mechanisms to add apps and widgets to the home screen is very elegant. 4G was incredible, especially with the hotspot. I had low expectations, but got a 4G signal nearly everywhere I went through the Midwest.

But there were a few challenges that were such a step back from a 2 year old phone I couldn't do it:

1) What voice command calling there was simply was not as nice as the DroidX or Siri. I very much liked Siri, except for the 20% of the time it would time-out upon my requests. The DroidX seems simplistic in comparison, but it gave all the right prompts (mobile or work, which of these names, etc).
2) Using the voice command with bluetooth was simply catastrophic. Perhaps the upcoming update will fix it, but volume across a headset during voice activation was nearly silent. There are other threads documenting this, and it made it simply unusable. It has about a 60% success rate in recognizing my commands, and when it's wrong, it's still confident and calls the wrong person.
3) The battery life is just OK. I never had to worry about the DroidX w/ the extended battery; the Galaxy Nexus was often running out by the evening (with its own slightly extended battery).
4) Darned if it didn't get a little slow near the end. It took a while to notice orientation changes and otherwise became sluggish. I'm surprised.
5) No full-function car dock, with charging and auto-launch of a car app. I just got used to it, and hated stepping backwards.

I'm on the Razr Maxx now, and really loving it. All the things I liked about my DX, with 4G, faster processor, etc. It's a winner.

mears

Reaction score

Are you a bot? Every time someone complains about signal issues with the GNex, here you come to point out this nonsense, nearly word for word. You may have a career in car insurance commercials. Just because all LTE phones experience issues, doesn't imply that GNex performance is on par with every other LTE phone. Read the previous sentence several times, and please stop cluttering every android forum with this crap. TIA!

As far as this thread goes, I'm in the process of returning my second GNex. Held on to this one until to the official 4.0.4 rollout in hopes that my frequent signal drops, data disconnects, and 1-way audio issues that were present in both this device and my prior GNex would be resolved. Going to give it one more go hoping there is some truth to the "bad batch" theory, and I'm just incredibly unlucky to get two in a row. If the next one is a dud I'm switching to the Razr Maxx (ugh).

Last edited:

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your doing good to be on your 2nd.It took me 3-4 before I got a good one.Just keep trying,you'll get a good one.I pray you get one that when you power her on update is waiting for you.DancingNexus