NFC/Wallet Issues

qsonx

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm a new owner of a Galaxy Nexus (LTE) (Came from a Droid Pro).

Earlier today I tried to pay for something at 7-11 with Google Wallet and nothing happened. I woke up the phone and even went into the Google Wallet app to make sure it was running. I didn't get any errors but it wouldn't try to pay. My phone had Revolution HD 2.1.1 and the apk method.

So later on in the night I tried downloading a few NFC apps to test it against my US Passport and had no luck. It just doesn't react at all. I also tried my extended battery and standard battery. Finally to try something else I wiped the data/cache and put ZYGOT3 2.0 on the phone and still no luck.

Am I missing something or do you think I just need to swap my phone?

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Did you make sure nfc was on in the settings? Yeah may be a silly question but sometimes we forget the simplest things when we're stressing

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
Q

qsonx

Reaction score
Ya I made sure of that.

Flashed back to stock and it works now. Then flashed to RootzBoat V5 and it continues to work. Hopefully this will help someone else if they search.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
I just read a thread about this from yakitori... He was saying that his NFC got permanently locked on his phone after flashing a rom from rootz. (may have been zygote, I don't remember.) I'm glad you got it back to normal! He wasn't able to.

OP
Q

qsonx

Reaction score
I just read a thread about this from yakitori... He was saying that his NFC got permanently locked on his phone after flashing a rom from rootz. (may have been zygote, I don't remember.) I'm glad you got it back to normal! He wasn't able to.

Ya I saw that.. Luckily I wasn't receiving any error messages. NFC just wasn't doing anything. I should find out tomorrow morning for sure if Wallet is working.

cvhovey

Reaction score

After doing some searching on this issue, I think it was unfair that someone chose to bash a dev or another forum about this issue. In that case, I personally verified by finding some old forum posts (of past versions) that Wallet was not included in that ROM ... it was a separate optional download. Flashing any add-on always has some risk.

Secondly, in doing a Google search on "google wallet" "secure element" I found a good number of people who ended up with NFC permanently locked. I could see no relationship to any ROM or anything specific a person might have done. For example, on the most recent mishap I saw, someone merely swapped out their standard battery for the extended battery. Next thing they know, the secure element was locked. Some appear to have disabled NFC but then opened Wallet. So far, I can't see any rhyme or reason for the cause.

What's more, reputable blogs and Android community forums are happily telling us that this 'modified' apk is now available for the Nexus ... but conveniently I haven't seen those same sources adding a warning as to the risk flashing this apk. Devs aren't immune to the 'NFC hysteria'. It seems a few devs are including Wallet in their ROM, but not the one in question that got bashed. I think a safer course for any dev would be, if even that, to include a link to the modified-Wallet dev's OP on x*a, as well as a word of caution pointing out that the troubleshooting section on that apk appears to be aware that some people are experiencing this lock ... and "If you have a Nandroid backup of a version of Wallet that worked, try restoring to that. Otherwise, you're screwed unless you get a new device." That's really comforting, huh?

Personally I don't know why an app like this is still being touted ... until the cause(s) of the secure element lock are known. I don't think bashing a dev or another site is the way to go. Instead, pointing out the risks and suggesting folks do a search on this issue is far more helpful. As for me, I won't flash this modified Google Wallet apk until it shows more stability.