The Fuzzy Treatment: State of the Zoom Today.

OP
furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
m169.gif

That we do.

l034.gif

Reaction score
xoom-parts-price-600x500.jpg

of course there is the price of research and development, advertising, etc but neither is braking the bank to put their device on the shelves

Reaction score
ugh i hate that you can't edit posts on here

that of course is the ipad not the ipad2 but i don't image the new processor, camera's, etc will cost the company much more then the original did to produce.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Also the retail mark-up and shipping 100k units from china...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Why does Motorola ship out unfinished products? They did the same thing with the Droid X with no flash.

Motorola provides hardware, Not software...Adobe was late with Flash.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Quality control...

Let's say that maybe it was MORE cost effective to ship without the lte cards that could have been defective, have them proven and made more reliable, and then installed and shipped back to you. Also to prevent angry consumers from trying to sue. Id rather have ppl angry for waiting than lawsuits pile up for selling a defective product.

Also every droid manufacturer are in an arms race not only to compete with Apple, but also each other. Lack of standardized hardware leads to many things...hence why OS updates are few and far between.

Take the fact that the Tbolt has been delayed, what 6 times? HTC also seems to suffer from rushing products, and maybe Verizon is saying (aside from trying to keep the VeriPhone sales competitive) to HTC that Hey this isnt right, hey customers will take this back because of x, y and z, hey we buy these subsidized in bulk, fix it or we wont sell.

Quite a lot of factors go into the decision to release a product; timing, price point, competitive models, possible hard and software defects, etc. Motorola probably had their hand forced to release the Xoom with missing features to try and cut out not only the iPad2 but other dual core droid tablets.

Kanibull

Reaction score
see this is why i never really buy the first of anything. seems like the first is always more like a test that fails.

akula1

Reaction score
You can't say that about the Droid 1. It rocked and started a revolution with all it's abilities.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess I never really thought of that as a concession. Thought maybe they were just waiting until the iPhone 5 to utilize it, but that's a good point. A subtle concession but a concession nonetheless. As for the price thing, I still have a hard time believing they ever planned to raise the price on the iPad. I believe whether the Xoom had come out or not it would have been priced the same. That's just their model. They buy so much at once they're probably getting a great deal on the parts so they're probably still making a killing off of each one that they sell.

I agree with the price thing. Apple doesn't really need to raise prices on their iPad2 because they are able to offset any "lost"(?) profit with other strategies they employ, and relationships with vendors. I don't think the XOOM had any influence on pricing of the iPad2. Here's a good article that explains why:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/07/technology/07tablet.html

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
Quality control...

Let's say that maybe it was MORE cost effective to ship without the lte cards that could have been defective, have them proven and made more reliable, and then installed and shipped back to you. Also to prevent angry consumers from trying to sue. Id rather have ppl angry for waiting than lawsuits pile up for selling a defective product.

Also every droid manufacturer are in an arms race not only to compete with Apple, but also each other. Lack of standardized hardware leads to many things...hence why OS updates are few and far between.

Take the fact that the Tbolt has been delayed, what 6 times? HTC also seems to suffer from rushing products, and maybe Verizon is saying (aside from trying to keep the VeriPhone sales competitive) to HTC that Hey this isnt right, hey customers will take this back because of x, y and z, hey we buy these subsidized in bulk, fix it or we wont sell.

Quite a lot of factors go into the decision to release a product; timing, price point, competitive models, possible hard and software defects, etc. Motorola probably had their hand forced to release the Xoom with missing features to try and cut out not only the iPad2 but other dual core droid tablets.

No hand forced... they weren'd "forced" to do anything. They released the product how it is because they wanted to. They talk a lot of trash and can't back it up. Ever since the Droid Motorola has been slowly faltering. Their CEO runs his mouth to much with inconsistent/inaccurate information. And they promote false information to the public (ads, commercials, etc). I think this is a big inconvenience. I'm surprised Apple hasn't made a commercial or taken a Jab at them for this.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Good thing I don't want a tablet because all the "shooting in the foot" is kinda disappointing.

onsht1kll

Reaction score
They talk a lot of trash and can't back it up. Ever since the Droid Motorola has been slowly faltering. Their CEO runs his mouth to much with inconsistent/inaccurate information. And they promote false information to the public (ads said:
You're talking about Apple right? Especially about the part about the CEO running his mouth...

Xoom was released without the 4G chip cuz they wanted to get it out before the Ipad2 so they could compete with it. It's free for the chip and Verizon will reimburse you for the time you haven't used you data plan as long as there is no usage on the account (which there wouldnt be since u dont have it) The only inconvenience is being without it ..

You will see more and more of this because companies want to get their product out in time to compete with others .. same thing happens w/ car manufacturers .. everyone wants the biggest piece of the pie they can get ..