The Big Question, what causes the menu lag?

Xerozix

Reaction score
Hey guys. This question has been bothering me for some time now. What is the real reason behind the menu lag? On the iPhone, there is ABSOLUTELY NO LAG. On the Droid, its pixelated almost, and it makes the phone look insuperior. I'm in a constant competition to beat the iphone freaks at my school and the menu doesn't help. I personally think that it may be because of the widgets, but I may be wrong.

lumpysherman

Reaction score
haven't experienced that unless I was using Home++ so I uninstalled it.

kevin1016

Reaction score
I noticed it on 2.0 but I haven't had it happen once on 2.0.1.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I see you're a former Storm person. I think people who have had the Storm are far less critical of this phone and appreciate it more then even someone who has never used a smart phone.

OP
Xerozix

Xerozix

Reaction score
Thing is, I'm appreciative of this phone. I can code in freaking Java and not some stupid X-Code or whatever like mac.

I have used/owned an iPhone and have also enjoyed it. I was just wondering why the menu was like this on this phone.

hughesjr

Reaction score
What menu ... I don't see a menu. There is a tool bar at the top and a container for apps, but I am not sure what you are calling a menu.

lumpysherman

Reaction score
I see you're a former Storm person. I think people who have had the Storm are far less critical of this phone and appreciate it more then even someone who has never used a smart phone.

You are correct sir. The storm was my first "smart" phone and I guess I didn't know any better.The Droid is light years ahead of Storm 1 and probably Storm 2 as well. I didn't even consider that an option. MY wife is getting a free iPhone from AT&T for renewing her business contract and asked me if I would wanted it under the condition I cancel my Droid. I couldn't stop laughing at her. I know she meant well and I still love her. :heart::motdroidvert:

broosewee

Reaction score
System resources vs. software optimization. The Droid might have the resources, but Android is still evolving to use them as efficiently as possible. Plus running applications will always add some overhead, even when their not in use. This is expected (but not desirable by any means) of a phone that can multitask in this day and age. Using a task killer smooths it out quite well though.

2.0.1 is a good step forward in bringing Droid performance to impressive levels.

M1dnite

Reaction score
I use Hom++ and have no lag at all. I will take a video if I need to show you. There is no menu lag whatsoever nor app lag.

R

racklefratz

What is the real reason behind the menu lag? On the iPhone, there is ABSOLUTELY NO LAG

GAG.....another iphone comparison. You trolling?

I don't have a clue what you mean by "menu lag".

I'll tell you this: when I powered my Droid up in your honor, just to test it for any "menu lag", the couple of times I touched the menu button, it responded quicker than a cat can lick its a$$. So much for "menu lag".

Maybe a good time to find a more creative fault with the Droid.

Terra

Reaction score
Browsee is right on the money. Apps do effect system performance. More specifically the amount of THIRD PARTY apps you've installed and are concurrently running in the background. Any time I FC I automatically know to look at my app killer and each time I have several 3 party apps running in the background. I turn those off and my phone begins running like a champ again. Below is some more info, provided to me by Mr. Adair a developer for Mobile Defense, which confirmed my suspicions. It appears that preinstalled android apps running in the background won't significantly impact system performance; however, multiple third party apps will.

"Similar issues have been experienced by many other Android users. The issue IS NOT related to anyone application and appears to be related to either a) the number of applications you have installed or b) the number of applications you installed back-to-back. It just so happens that a reboot brings a lot of these issues to the for-front. Users have reported resolving this issue by uninstalling their last few applications and re-installing at a much slower pace. From everything I have been able to gather this is an internal Android issue."

"A few links where others have having similar problems:"

http://www.talkandroid.com/android-foru … ivity.html
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/for … 3005902041
http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f41/ … app-27205/
http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f12/ … help-3693/
http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f60/ … ing-28671/

gabeevans88

Reaction score

I would def. agree, i came from a storm 1 and that thing was slow, the technology we have here seems light years ahead of that of the storm