crazy questions droid->iphone

hogowner

Reaction score
Hi guys...

I have a rooted droid1..thinking about getting the iphone....quick questions

I wanted to get backup assistant on the phone so I will be able to port my contacts over.....On the verizon web site it gives instructions.....it says go into your program and you should see the backup assistant icon....I do not see it...it is because my phone is rooted? I didn't see it in the market so I can download it....that is the first question...how to backup contacts....

second question....

since the iphone doesn't use the google software...what happens to all the apps that I paid for ie slingbx moble,beautifu widgets....do I lose them and have to pay for them again?

Thanks in advance for any help that you may shed on this

Hog

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
i assume the verizon instructions are for non-smartphone customers who are planning on getting an iphone. in their case the backup assistant would show up in the VCAST store or whatever that crap is called. For those who are switching from Android to Iphone you'd use Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Google Sync - Google Mobile Help I believe

and yes you will have to repurchase apps, as the android apps and iphone apps are not interchangeable and cant be synced

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
....and the iPhone doesn't have widgets, that's a Droid thing dancedroid

i assume the verizon instructions are for non-smartphone customers who are planning on getting an iphone. in their case the backup assistant would show up in the VCAST store or whatever that crap is called. For those who are switching from Android to Iphone you'd use Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Google Sync - Google Mobile Help I believe

and yes you will have to repurchase apps, as the android apps and iphone apps are not interchangeable and cant be synced

DroidForums Junkie!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You have to jailbreak it for widgets?? That's...cool.

DroidForums Junkie!!

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

DroidForums Junkie!!

You have to root your droid for themes, ROMS, wireless tether, overclocking, change boot animations, do nandroid backups, clear your cache...need i go on hahaa

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
True except for clearing cache and themes. Also not needed for widgets. Haha

DroidForums Junkie!!

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
True except for clearing cache and themes. Also not needed for widgets. Haha

DroidForums Junkie!!

You can't clear system caches unless rooted and you can't change system icons or theme without root...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

estafusisx

Reaction score

DroidForums Junkie!!

You have to root your droid for themes, ROMS, wireless tether, overclocking, change boot animations, do nandroid backups, clear your cache...need i go on hahaa

Kinda suprised some1 took that side on this forum lol but we don't need to argue about this. We all know what we can and can't do on each phone and most of us here decided the droid side was better. (Besides u can't do alot of those with a jailbroken iphone so... whats ur point?)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
ADW?

DroidForums Junkie!!

not really a theme...it's just a home launcher...doesn't change any system icons, doesn't change the notification bar, doesn't change notifications menu...only thing it does is replace the launcher

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

DroidForums Junkie!!

Kinda suprised some1 took that side on this forum lol but we don't need to argue about this. We all know what we can and can't do on each phone and most of us here decided the droid side was better. (Besides u can't do alot of those with a jailbroken iphone so... whats ur point?)

that you have to root a droid to do things, and you have to jailbreak an iphone to do things...stock to stock the phones do pretty much the same thing (save widgets...but somehow i doubt that's a deal breaker for the millions who've purchased the iphone...). People think that because android is open source that you can do all these open source things out of the box, and that's just not true. You have to root your phone to take advantage of its open source capabilities (and thereby violate your TOS). It's not some magical phone that lets you do whatever you want as soon as you buy it.

9qwer1

Reaction score
Things that stock iphone can't do that stock android can: widgets, download and install paid apps for free (don't think it SHOULD be done, it just could), interchangable launcher, interchangable lockscreen, save things on the sdcard like a flash drive, choose how many screens on the launcher you want, and It goes on and on and on

Things that stock android can't do that stock iphone can: sync to itunes.