3 big questions

BlackHoleSlam

Reaction score
hey guys i will be getting my first droid phone come this saturday sold my iphone 3g to get it i am getting a moto droid 1
1 okay first question my plan is not up i am buying this from a guy off craiglsist the question is when i go to Verizon to activate the phone will they charge me i have my env 3 right now and i am switching to the droid i know about the 30 a month unlimited data plan but will they charge me because i am dropping the env 3 and switching to the droid

2 my second question is i understand that rooting your phone lets you get full access to it but what is the point of custom roms i am not insulting them i just don't understand what they do

3 and finally why do some people not like 1 click tethering i saw hookbill's post about he hopes everyone stops 1 click rooting i didn't understand why because i am a noob when it comes to rooting android phones so if i use one click root its seems near impossible for me to brick my phone but if i do it the normal way i can see myself screwing everything up so plz help

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
First question, they will charge you the extra thirty a month, plus an activation fee to activate the new device, and that is it...no penalty for switching phones

Second, Custom ROMs have the potential to bring better speed and performance to your phone, plus settings and tweaks that are not available stock (like to be able to change system fonts right from the phone).

Third (and I am so glad you were listening) what hook was actually talking about is one click root (which is different from tethering) almost all of the Droid Forums Team will advise against this process, 9 times out of 10 people lose root capabilities and have to go back and do it the right way anyways

And Fourth...I know you didn't ask but I am going to tell you anyways, don't install Task Killers :)

here are a few links to read up on in the meantime

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/73579-using-rsd-lite-flash-sbf-file-correctly.html

Any more questions please ask

OP
BlackHoleSlam

BlackHoleSlam

Reaction score
okay what do you mean an extra 30 u mean 60 or the 30 for internets and if i am just switching phones their should be no penalty i already have a verizon phone the guy will clear the esn so its pretty much stock so they still charge for it and how much

also i ment to say root don't know y i said tethering and was the comment in parenthesis sarcastic

OP
BlackHoleSlam

BlackHoleSlam

Reaction score
last thing what is a speed that i can overclock my droid to so it will run faster but not splode all over the wall

Last edited by a moderator:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
As far as the charges there will only be $30.00 extra per month but they might charge you a one time activation fee of $30 or $35 for changing devices

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
last thing what is a speed that i can overclock my droid to so it will run faster but not splode all over the wall

I O/C mine to 1.1Ghz but they can be safely O/C'd to 1.25Ghz

Sorry about the edit on your post, I meant to quote it, not edit it :wink:

harrellj

Reaction score
Which Droid are you getting? The original Droid 1, DInc, DX, D2, Droid Eris? I'm assuming you'll be getting the original D1, which has kernels allowing overclocking up to 1.2Ghz. Personally, I run mine at 1GHz even though my kernel supports higher.

As for the 1-click root, as much as its easier root the phone, there've been numerous posts on this forum of people who've rooted using a 1-click method and then lost root with an update or randomly. The numbers of people having problems after using RSDLite are smaller. However, manually rooting the phone isn't that hard at all, if you follow the directions step-by-step.

Rocky

Reaction score
And Fourth...I know you didn't ask but I am going to tell you anyways, don't install Task Killers :)
Howdy do. Excuse me, but I couldn't help asking, Are Task Killers bad? (I ask because I use Advanced Task Killer all the time.)

Thanks in advance.

Rocky

scoder

Reaction score
I used to work for Verizon as a tech. There is no charge to switch devices as long as you're not upgrading (which you are not.) You could even activate the Droid yourself by dialing *228 and choosing option 3 from the Droid, and then following the prompts. Once in a while though (especially when coming from a feature phone or multimedia phone such as the Env3), this simple process fails and you will need to either go into a VZW corporate store or call customer service (*611) from a landline phone and they will get your Droid activated.

Just to clarify, $30 extra a month for data, no charge for switching devices.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You'd have to figure that out for yourself. Not all Droids respond the same. When you're ready to overclock, root, load custom ROM's, etc spend some time in the appropriate subforums.

Howdy do. Excuse me, but I couldn't help asking, Are Task Killers bad? (I ask because I use Advanced Task Killer all the time.)
Task Killers, like any inanimate objects, aren't good or bad. Misuse of task killers (due to lack of understanding) is bad. Task killers certainly have their use in killing misbehaving apps but that's just addressing the symptom rather than the problem. Autokilling isn't a good idea unless your battery lasts too long... :D

Last edited:
OP
BlackHoleSlam

BlackHoleSlam

Reaction score
scoder thank you so much for the help i honestly am in love with this forum its so helpful and people here go out of their way to assist thanks