I'm starting to dislike my Droid.

mrshickadance9

Reaction score
A month ago, I gave up on AT&T. I loved my iPhone but I could simply no longer deal with dropping calls all the time. I had tried a friend's droid and I liked it enough. I've had it for a month now, and while there are features that simply beat the iPhone hands down, I feel that it's simply not as polished as the iPhone. I have simply come to the realization that I regret switching to the Droid.

The nav feature is absolutely amazing. There is no denying that. I also love the fact that it's a (mostly) open platform. However, there are just too many things that suck about this phone:

The voice quality is AWFUL. Every person I talk to says I sound like a robot and they can hardly understand me. As many of you know, this is not just my phone's issue.

The internet browser is pathetic (whether it's the default one, dolphin, etc). If it's not a mobile website, scrolling around is nearly impossible. Incredibly laggy and jumpy and overall the opposite of the iphone browsing experience. Why, when the droid is so much more powerful, does it lag MILES behind the iphone in browsing the internet? It beats the blackberry browser, but that's really not saying much. Furthermore, when you try to click on a link in the browser, half the time it thinks you clicked on something else, and you end up having to go back and reload the whole page over again.

The whole UI is just slow and buggy. I was hoping 2.1 would fix this, but it seems like that will never come down from google/verizon.

The build quality of this phone is terrible. It's got creaky plastic, it feels cheap and the screen slides open when it's in my pocket.

The battery is awful- I make a point of hardly using it, turn off GPS and dim the screen as low as it will go, and it still barely makes it through the day.

Sorry this post was so long. I'm just really disappointed in this phone, because it DOES have some great features, and COULD be a great phone. I just feel like they rushed it out the door without doing basic tests. Please, someone give me a reason to stick with this phone... tell me what I'm missing!

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hmm, I understand your feelings, but mine are completely different. I mean, I use dolphin and have been having a blast navigating aorund. No one has ever said my call quality it bad, in fact they have told me it is very clear. The UI for me is great cause I am running UD8 with 1.2ghz overclocking. No issues, only speed. (if you dont wanna root and are waiting for 2.1 i am sorry, but hey, it will be out... just won't be better than rooting).

I agree about the battery. It dies too quick. I hardly ever have GPS or wifi on, and I keep my screen dim... I would love to see a better battery for this of the same size, but still it has been working for me fine cause I charge it in my car when I commute places.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
A month ago, I gave up on AT&T. I loved my iPhone but I could simply no longer deal with dropping calls all the time. I had tried a friend's droid and I liked it enough. I've had it for a month now, and while there are features that simply beat the iPhone hands down, I feel that it's simply not as polished as the iPhone. I have simply come to the realization that I regret switching to the Droid.

The nav feature is absolutely amazing. There is no denying that. I also love the fact that it's a (mostly) open platform. However, there are just too many things that suck about this phone:

The voice quality is AWFUL. Every person I talk to says I sound like a robot and they can hardly understand me. As many of you know, this is not just my phone's issue.

The internet browser is pathetic (whether it's the default one, dolphin, etc). If it's not a mobile website, scrolling around is nearly impossible. Incredibly laggy and jumpy and overall the opposite of the iphone browsing experience. Why, when the droid is so much more powerful, does it lag MILES behind the iphone in browsing the internet? It beats the blackberry browser, but that's really not saying much. Furthermore, when you try to click on a link in the browser, half the time it thinks you clicked on something else, and you end up having to go back and reload the whole page over again.

The whole UI is just slow and buggy. I was hoping 2.1 would fix this, but it seems like that will never come down from google/verizon.

The build quality of this phone is terrible. It's got creaky plastic, it feels cheap and the screen slides open when it's in my pocket.

The battery is awful- I make a point of hardly using it, turn off GPS and dim the screen as low as it will go, and it still barely makes it through the day.

Sorry this post was so long. I'm just really disappointed in this phone, because it DOES have some great features, and COULD be a great phone. I just feel like they rushed it out the door without doing basic tests. Please, someone give me a reason to stick with this phone... tell me what I'm missing!

I feel somewhat the same as you do, Yes Navigation is phenomenal, I absolutely love it, but I plan on getting a Nexus One, (My friend has one, It is very slick, feels more solid and beautiful like the iPhone) when it comes to Verizon.

OP
M

mrshickadance9

Reaction score
Hmm, I understand your feelings, but mine are completely different. I mean, I use dolphin and have been having a blast navigating aorund. No one has ever said my call quality it bad, in fact they have told me it is very clear. The UI for me is great cause I am running UD8 with 1.2ghz overclocking. No issues, only speed. (if you dont wanna root and are waiting for 2.1 i am sorry, but hey, it will be out... just won't be better than rooting).

I agree about the battery. It dies too quick. I hardly ever have GPS or wifi on, and I keep my screen dim... I would love to see a better battery for this of the same size, but still it has been working for me fine cause I charge it in my car when I commute places.

well do you think there's something wrong with my phone then? a friend and I both went to the bbc.co.uk website on our droids and both of us had incredibly laggy scrolling and browsing issues. We were both using dolphin browser as well. I just think it's absurd that it's so jumpy and glitchy when it's more powerful than the iPhone.

inmate369

Reaction score
dang man. Im sorry your having a bad experience with the droid.Try rooting it and as far as call quality im coming from a boulder and this phone is way better also if you sound like a robot at least they can hear you cause they wouldn't hear you at all if the call was dropped:)

OP
M

mrshickadance9

Reaction score
I'm thinking about rooting it. I had jailbroken my iphone, but I really know nothing about rooting a droid. I know there's threads about it, and I guess I'll have to read up about it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My phone voice quality is excellent. While browsing with 2.0.1 is a bit slower then I like to see, the truth is that when you compare it to the majority of smart phones out there it's quite fast.

It sounds to me that you are looking for the Droid to behave like a computer. It also sounds to me since you're talking about the whole UI being buggy that maybe it's the way you're using it that makes it appear that way. If anything the UI is highly responsive and if you touch something you shouldn't touch, it will send you in the wrong direction.

Talking about 2.1 have you looked at any of the video demos? The browser is sleek and the interface is quick.

If anything the phone is built very solid. Creaky plastic? I have no idea what you're talking about.

But if none of the above works for you and you're still in your 30 days you can take the phone back and exchange it for another smart phone. Maybe a Blackberry Storm.;)

You see you're use to seeing the iPhones Safari browser and I don't think there is a person here who won't admit that it's a solid browser. Overclock your Droid and it will blow that iPhone away.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try the Opera Mini browser. I have had nothing but wonderful things with this browser. You can load web pages without wifi or 3G on and they still load pretty fast. The picture quality sucks at first, but if you go into settings and turn the picture quality up just a little, you'll still load fast and the pictures will look fine.

As for rooting.

From my point of view, BEST...THING...EVER.
Overclocking, theming, tethering... To many things to name. When overclocked there is not one phone who can match the performance of the Droid. Also, I have never had a problem with the slider opening in my pocket, and I think the phone is VERY well built.

To everyone their own, but I feel this is just too good of a thing to pass on.

OP
M

mrshickadance9

Reaction score
My phone voice quality is excellent. While browsing with 2.0.1 is a bit slower then I like to see, the truth is that when you compare it to the majority of smart phones out there it's quite fast.

It sounds to me that you are looking for the Droid to behave like a computer. It also sounds to me since you're talking about the whole UI being buggy that maybe it's the way you're using it that makes it appear that way. If anything the UI is highly responsive and if you touch something you shouldn't touch, it will send you in the wrong direction.

Talking about 2.1 have you looked at any of the video demos? The browser is sleek and the interface is quick.

If anything the phone is built very solid. Creaky plastic? I have no idea what you're talking about.

But if none of the above works for you and you're still in your 30 days you can take the phone back and exchange it for another smart phone. Maybe a Blackberry Storm.;)

You see you're use to seeing the iPhones Safari browser and I don't think there is a person here who won't admit that it's a solid browser. Overclock your Droid and it will blow that iPhone away.

I don't necessarily think i'm wanting it to act like a computer, BUT on the other hand, since it IS a computer, shouldn't it act like one? I also don't think i'm really using the phone in any special way that would make it laggy and buggy. I'm using the phone, checking email and (trying to)browse the internet.

it's just very frustrating all around. they say it does so much more than the iphone, and maybe that's true, but if it doesn't do those things well, what's the point?

rushmr2

Reaction score
I've never actually had a problem with voice quality whatsoever, its at least as good as my LG voyager was. I've only ever extensively used an iPhone 2G but I couldn't notice any difference between that and my Droid, but i may be wrong.

As far as the browser goes, I agree completely. The stock one is hopelessly laggy and i never really took to xScope or Dolphin. HOWEVER; the milestone browser that is supposed to come on 2.1 is LIGHTYEARS ahead in smoothness and zooming (includes pinch zoom). I'm currently rooted and running Droidmod while I wait for the official 2.1 to come out. I unrooted the other day thinking that the update might come but this was THE reason i re-rooted. It's not as good as the iPhone with scrolling, but its vastly improved.

I've actually been very impressed with the build quality. I had my phone in my lap while riding in one of my friend's trucks. I got out, forgetting it was there, and it took the tumble all the way down and landed on the concrete screen down and the battery and battery cover flew apart. I thought for sure my phone was toast, but when I turned it over, the screen was perfect. Popped the battery back in and all was good. This friend happened to have an iPhone and he was WAY more surprised than I was. He did the same exact thing out of the same truck and shattered his screen.

As far as the battery goes, you may want to try the conditioning exercise, some people on here seem to have had huge improvement that way. (Charge it all the way +2 hrs then use it all the way until it shuts off, do this twice). Also keep an eye on your Battery Usage screen and see what exactly is eating it up. Should be mostly the screen and standby, stuff like that. I wouldn't say my battery life is amazing but I can use it fairly heavily and it is usually down to 30 or 40% when i plug it back in at the end of the night, depending on my use.

LordKastle

Reaction score
i went through a period of time with discontent. its not that i did not like my droid, but it was the aspects of google's infiltration. i began to dislike how google was making the user dependant on their services. every trick, every app...everything was being led to the attainment of user data and dependancy on their services.

but i realized once i unsync'ed my phone from google completely, that the raw nature of android on my phone was now satisfactory. the build of the phone is more of metal than plastic like the nexus and iphone --so your comment is completely wrong. it is stronger and more durable with a better screen.

the motorola droid is not directly connected to the reign of google. it is still more about verizon and motorola rather than google influence. with the nexus you are a sheep, grazing in a pasture.

the iphone has potential to be much better. i am typing on a macbook right now. but the phone and the ipad have been created for different markets. its made for the novice and unaware individual who needs to be guided and controlled. i respect apple more than google because at least they are not trying to attain user data and dependence on services to the extent of google's attempt of slavery.

to sum it up. moto droid > iphone > nexus one. in order. 1 2 3.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I don't necessarily think i'm wanting it to act like a computer, BUT on the other hand, since it IS a computer, shouldn't it act like one? I also don't think i'm really using the phone in any special way that would make it laggy and buggy. I'm using the phone, checking email and (trying to)browse the internet.

it's just very frustrating all around. they say it does so much more than the iphone, and maybe that's true, but if it doesn't do those things well, what's the point?

Specifically what things are you talking about. I hear you talking about the browser. OK. Have you searched to see if there is something you can do about phone quality. Have you tried updating your PRL's? *228 option 2. There is also a method to update phone quality by using ##Program, code 000000, select vodecode and EVRC-B.

ShowTime

Reaction score

As to voice quality, do you have a case on the phone? I know some people do just experience bad quality and there is no obvious reason, but others run in to problems because their cases cover one or both of the noise canceling mics, leading to bad voice quality. My gf sounded the same way on her Droid when talking to me as you describe your friends saying you sound. She took her case off and it improved drastically.

As for the browser and UI, all I can say is mine seems to give me smooth and silky scrolling, accurate selection, fast loading, etc. Now I've never owned an iPhone, so maybe my idea of what's "good" would change if I tried one, but I don't foresee it being able to change too awful much.

As for the build, mine feels incredibly sturdy, no creaking or any noises and my slide stays nicely in place. Maybe I just got a good unit or you got a bad one?

And what kind of battery life are you getting? I run 2 widgets, stream Pandora, web browse, text (probably in the range of 50-100 a day), make occasional calls, etc, etc Daily and can easily get a full day's use on 1 charge. Yes, a full day's use requires a charge at the end of the evening/overnight, but I don't see this as being a problem. Again, I have no experience, is the battery on the iPhone significantly better?

I'm not trying to say you're wrong or convince you to either go back to iPhone, stay with Droid, or switch phones at all. Just kind of voicing my experience for the sake of comparison. I do agree there are certain aspects that do make it seem a bit rushed or not so well thought out, but there are so many other parts that are phenomenal that I'm willing to overlook the subpar parts. In the end though, it's your phone. If it isn't working for you, it's your right to be disappointed in it and want/get something else.

Last edited:
Reaction score
how bout stop whining and go get another phone? i'll put $100 on it being worse than the droid in every aspect. no one cares that you dont like your droid, millions of people around the world would kill to have something as advanced and powerful as the droid on a network as solid as verizon.

the fact that millions of people love their droid means you can leave the crowd and no one will shed a tear. just stop crying about a phone that's more awesome than you, or go suck an apple nut and stick with the iphone on the worst carrier in america.