After a full week a couple of issues that hopefully have simple solutions

cb3FSU

Reaction score
1) Why are so many apps constantly running in the background? As soon as I shut them all down in Advanced Task Killer they come right back. Its ridiculous and its causing quite a bit of lag.

2) For some reason Im finding myself without a GPS signal fairly often. 3G works fine, but the GPS wont load. Right now my weather widget is blank and has been since I got back to Orlando from Raleigh, where it worked fine. Its taking literally minutes to load the GPS when it will work, to the point tonight where my girlfriend just pulled out her iphone and looked up the directions because it was taking so long. I have a feeling issue 1 is contributing to this.

3) How do I remove the standard apps that come with the Droid like Messenger in favor of Handcent, or at least make another app an absolute default? Whenever I get a text it comes through both programs and then asks me which I want to use to open the text. Every time I check the box to use Handcent as the default and every time I get the prompt. Whenever I open a media file it asks if I want to use Meridian or Music. In my car today I accidentally hit the wrong button and had both programs open playing different songs. Very annoying.

4) How do I a) immediately send it to sleep mode b) keep it from going into sleep mode and c) remove the slider to wake it out of sleep mode?

These are really pretty much my only issues with my Droid. I love it, but it certainly seems like more often than not there is something buggy going on with it, causing it to run slowly and force close. I cant think of any reason why an app would open and run in the background on its own or stay on after I close it out or use the Task Killer.

Could this be Home++ having issues?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
1. This issue has been explained before and is a sticky in this subforum, check the top.

2. If you're in a building or anything it will interfere with GPS signals. Better to stand outside in the open world with no roof or skylines around you.

3. You could just disable the settings on the original Messaging app like i did. I use Handcent too, but still have the original messaging app. I only get notifications from Handcent as it's set to my default app with the OEM messaging app with no notifications. Same case for your Meridian/Music player, make Meridian your default.

4. a) hit the power button
b) make the sleep time longer
c) not possible.

Last edited:

Erich_F

Reaction score
.... Whenever I get a text it comes through both programs and then asks me which I want to use to open the text. Every time I check the box to use Handcent as the default and every time I get the prompt.

Go to the preferences in your stock Messaging App. Uncheck Auto-retrieve and turn off Notifications

4) How do I a) immediately send it to sleep mode b) keep it from going into sleep mode and c) remove the slider to wake it out of sleep mode?

A) Press the Power/Sleep button on the top
B) This only works when attached to a charger or home dock: 1) Goto Settings. 2) Select Applications. 3) Scroll down and select Development. 4) Check Stay Awake.
C) You can't.

Probably.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
1) Why are so many apps constantly running in the background? As soon as I shut them all down in Advanced Task Killer they come right back. Its ridiculous and its causing quite a bit of lag.

2) For some reason Im finding myself without a GPS signal fairly often. 3G works fine, but the GPS wont load. Right now my weather widget is blank and has been since I got back to Orlando from Raleigh, where it worked fine. Its taking literally minutes to load the GPS when it will work, to the point tonight where my girlfriend just pulled out her iphone and looked up the directions because it was taking so long. I have a feeling issue 1 is contributing to this.

3) How do I remove the standard apps that come with the Droid like Messenger in favor of Handcent, or at least make another app an absolute default? Whenever I get a text it comes through both programs and then asks me which I want to use to open the text. Every time I check the box to use Handcent as the default and every time I get the prompt. Whenever I open a media file it asks if I want to use Meridian or Music. In my car today I accidentally hit the wrong button and had both programs open playing different songs. Very annoying.

These are really pretty much my only issues with my Droid. I love it, but it certainly seems like more often than not there is something buggy going on with it, causing it to run slowly and force close. I cant think of any reason why an app would open and run in the background on its own or stay on after I close it out or use the Task Killer.

1) the lag is being caused by advanced task killer.... it closes the app but as soon as you close advanced task killer the phone is opening the apps right back up causing it to slow down. dont worry about apps running in the background because if the phone needs more recources it will close background app as it deems neccesary.

2)your right issue 1 is causing this.. your most likely closing needed processes that the GPS uses to run.

3)if you remove the stock messaging program hancent will no longer work as it uses it to send a recieve the messages. you can remove the other stock apps like amazon mp3 and so on if you have root access and will need to delete them manually. only delete them if you know what you are doing you can very easly brick your phone.

4) theres a few apps out there to do this... one is called sleep mode widget and its free in the market, there are others but i cant recall the names.

5) Home++ does get the occasional force close.... the developer is constantly working on it and sending out updates to it,

kristoff125

Reaction score
Not sure what exactly you mean by sleep mode, but if you mean the screen blacking out, go to settings, Sound and DIsplay, at the very bottom is Screen Timeout, you can set it for as little as 15 seconds up to 30 minutes. Hope that helps.

OP
C

cb3FSU

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone on here. I read the sticky on advanced task killer after posting. I guess its just so hard to believe that all of those tasks arent slowing down the system after coming from Windows.

The GPS seems to really be a problem and I dont know if its a Home ++ issue or not. Like I said, it worked fine in Raleigh and has only become an issue in Orlando.

Im guessing GPS and Pandora or a music player is just not gonig to happen at this point, I played my NES emulator and ran Meridian my entire flight with no issues and the NES ran super smooth.

So if the Tasks are supposed to run in the background, is there any way to resolve lag?

Erich_F

Reaction score
If I were you, I'd just drop that stupid Home replacement app and enjoy your Droid as nature intended :)

Mine works as advertised...fast and simple.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks to everyone on here. I read the sticky on advanced task killer after posting. I guess its just so hard to believe that all of those tasks arent slowing down the system after coming from Windows.

The GPS seems to really be a problem and I dont know if its a Home ++ issue or not. Like I said, it worked fine in Raleigh and has only become an issue in Orlando.

Im guessing GPS and Pandora or a music player is just not gonig to happen at this point, I played my NES emulator and ran Meridian my entire flight with no issues and the NES ran super smooth.

So if the Tasks are supposed to run in the background, is there any way to resolve lag?

the tasks are open but they are not using any memory. If they do, then it's minimal and you won't notice any lag. The only reason i kept ATK was to close the browser, maps, pandora, and any other app that only comes on when the user opens it.

allikanbe

Reaction score

By chance, are you on an old Alltel plan in Florida? There have been other GPS issues with that combination. If you are on old Alltel, do a search and you may find an answer.