Tethering?

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
So I am a proud new owner of a precious Nexus 7! I am definitely planning on tethering with my GNex, but my question is, what precautions, if any, should I take so that I don't get busted by Big Red? I know they don't like it when we use our unlimited data how we want, in fact, I know they don't even like that we have unlimited data these days. Are there any tips I should follow to prevent myself from being caught? Or is it just a hit or miss deal here, where I could tether like 500MB of data and get busted just from that? Thanks in advance to anyone who might have some input on this! :biggrin:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am not sure of Nexus specifics, but I wouldn't worry. I know a guy that used over 840 gigs tethering in a month. Well respected guy and he had screenshots of his progress throughout the month

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

OP
xDMONEYx

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Alright! I have just read that people who tether without Verizon's official tethering service have gotten threatening emails from Verizon in regards to their tethering. Whether or not any action was taken, I am not sure.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Alright! I have just read that people who tether without Verizon's official tethering service have gotten threatening emails from Verizon in regards to their tethering. Whether or not any action was taken, I am not sure.

I haven't heard anything but rumors in the 2 years I have been on Android forums.

OP
xDMONEYx

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I haven't heard anything but rumors in the 2 years I have been on Android forums.

Sweet! Well thanks for the insight, I just wanted to be sure before I start racking up data with the 7.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Just make sure you are on a custom rom that removes the Verizon block for tethering, w/o that they will know and charge you for it.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8

Been using various tether methods for years, but with one caveat... I don't abuse it. I only use it when needed.

Never had any complaints from big red about it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Been using various tether methods for years, but with one caveat... I don't abuse it. I only use it when needed.

Never had any complaints from big red about it.
+1

I've only used it a handful of times and half of those times it's because stupid Comcast was down. The other half was real quick at school or something where I didn't have time to log in or the school internet was down. Used it for nothing more than light browsing and emails, maybe one or two youtube videos and that's it. I have never exceeded 8gb in one month and I'm on the unlimited plan.

If you're on wifi most of the time, use it. Saves a ton of battery, saves you from draining your phone quicker, and best of all you don't have to have that thought "Will Big Red know I'm tethering?" in the back of your mind. Besides, what place doesn't have wifi now a days. :p

???

Reaction score
verizon lost the tethering case and they found it broke the fcc rules for the bandwidth that 4g uses to charge for tethering. i am rooted and use the built in of my rom. (a lot while traveling) but i have 2 friends with 7's and nexus who are not rooted, totally stock and use the built in tether on their nexus too. verizon was forced to take down the redirect to their Site that used to force you to pay an extra 20$ for the data you already pay 30$ for.

so just use the stock tether function, if it doesn't redirect you to a Site that requires you to sign up and pay. then it's part of whatever data plan you have. They both said they researched it after the jelly bean update broke foxfi tether app, and found out the redirect had been pulled because of the court case verizon lost.

oh and if you don't need the extra speed of WiFi tether, bluetooth tether works great and doesn't eat battery like the WiFi will. since my phone screen is off and it's the biggest battery drainer, when I bluetooth tether my phone battery still seems to last just as long as if I was using the phone instead of the tab. where WiFi will burn thru a battery in no time.

Good luck. and if you want, there's a text app for your tab that I use that allows you to send and receive them from the tab without picking up the phone. So I leave the phone in my back pack and do everything from the tab while I had it put. no switching back in forth.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
??? said:
verizon lost the tethering case and they found it broke the fcc rules for the bandwidth that 4g uses to charge for tethering. i am rooted and use the built in of my rom. (a lot while traveling) but i have 2 friends with 7's and nexus who are not rooted, totally stock and use the built in tether on their nexus too. verizon was forced to take down the redirect to their Site that used to force you to pay an extra 20$ for the data you already pay 30$ for.

so just use the stock tether function, if it doesn't redirect you to a Site that requires you to sign up and pay. then it's part of whatever data plan you have. They both said they researched it after the jelly bean update broke foxfi tether app, and found out the redirect had been pulled because of the court case verizon lost.

oh and if you don't need the extra speed of WiFi tether, bluetooth tether works great and doesn't eat battery like the WiFi will. since my phone screen is off and it's the biggest battery drainer, when I bluetooth tether my phone battery still seems to last just as long as if I was using the phone instead of the tab. where WiFi will burn thru a battery in no time.

Good luck. and if you want, there's a text app for your tab that I use that allows you to send and receive them from the tab without picking up the phone. So I leave the phone in my back pack and do everything from the tab while I had it put. no switching back in forth.

The unlimited plans are excluded from free tethering and according to Verizon still require one to pay for the tethering feature. I don't know if they will ever do anything, but they made a point to exclude the unlimited plan for a reason.

???

Reaction score
I haven't heard anything from them saying they have been charged on their bill. and do not get the redirect Page that used to get to make you sign up.

but since I'm romed, i cant day anything besides 2nd hand info I'm told.

WookieClaws

Reaction score
On 4.0.4 I would see the re-direct to pay the $20 to tether (and I wasn't on an unlimited plan). I did find that Elixer's widget bypassed VZW's check and I had tethering working and I used to sparingly and never had a message from VZW.

I've since signed up for one of the new sharing plans that includes tethering; again not something I use often but its nice to have when you need it. I will check out the BT tether option too to my Xoom... Wifi KILLS my phone in no time.

thesandman00

Reaction score
I am not sure of Nexus specifics, but I wouldn't worry. I know a guy that used over 840 gigs tethering in a month. Well respected guy and he had screenshots of his progress throughout the month

Holy cow!!! That's insane!

I'm at around 8gb this month on my usage, about 5 of which are from tethering (netflix on one day when my cable was out). I wouldn't be too worried as long as you don't use enough data to throw up any red flags (which I'd certainly think 840gb would qualify for...).

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Holy cow!!! That's insane!

I'm at around 8gb this month on my usage, about 5 of which are from tethering (netflix on one day when my cable was out). I wouldn't be too worried as long as you don't use enough data to throw up any red flags (which I'd certainly think 840gb would qualify for...).

I also know of a guy that used 1.26 terabytes last month. These are confirmed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2