How do I get wifi tether to work.

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by suliman, Feb 26, 2012.

1. suliman

suliman New Member

Hey has anyone gotten wifi tether working on gnex? I kept trying but every time it connects the data stops after a few mins. Now I can't get any data through at all even though it connects.

Also I'm using the wifi tether app
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  2. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

Wifi tether works fine for me. My wife uses foxfi tether on her razr without problems either.
  3. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

wifi tether works fine for me as well.

try changing the channel of it.
  4. captdroid

captdroid New Member

Yup Wifi tether works good version 3.1 beta 11. Best to turn off Wifi first before turning on tether.
  5. wolfman4u

wolfman4u New Member

Foxfi works perfect.

6. JFMFT

JFMFT New Member

I just use the built-in VZW tethering without paying. Being rooted is great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  7. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl Member

Thanks for the web site I was looking for something like this and it works perfect first try even for me. That is not usually the case. ED

8. BadWolf

BadWolf New Member

Foxfi worked fine for me for a few days. After a couple days I could only get local access, no interwebz. I was also getting random reboots, none after I uninstalled it.
  9. rlarson_mn

rlarson_mn New Member

My FoxFi has worked just fine. Only glitz was when their server was down but that was just once. Great app for a non-rooted phone like my Razr Maxx. BTW this post was done using FoxFi 1.32!
  10. coolshock1

coolshock1 New Member

Thanks for pointing out FoxFi. I had been using Elixer but the data would stop after about 5 or 10 minutes. Been testing FoxFi this morning and after 20 minutes it stopped transmitting data. I check the phone and it stated that FoxFi had quit unexpectedly. Fired it back up and haven't had an issue yet.
  11. scion676

scion676 New Member

So I have wifi tether and built in wifi (currently on Liquidsmooth beta 5 4.0.3 rom / leankernal 2.2.0 and the 4.0.4 radios) and tether works very sporadically for me but perhaps its just my use case thats causing this issue.

my laptop and ipad 2 connect initially but when I stream video (such as streaming a show over airvideo on the ipad for 45 min) over 4G, the ipad seems to lose the AP for no reason... tether and ipad still say they are connected but data just stops on the tethered device. toggling wifi on either the gnex or the ipad2 fixes the problem but only temporarily... goes out again in several minutes randomly... anyone encounter this specific issue?

Been frustrated to say the least, coming from a thunderbolt and using that to watch tv shows at the gym every morning on the ipad...
  12. coolshock1

coolshock1 New Member

I had FoxFi stop on my phone again today. Then after I got it restarted I lost all data and had to reboot the phone. Anyone else having issues?
  13. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

I think there may be tethering issues in general for the Galaxy Nexus. I have had all data crap on my phone once, and it was not a good thing. It came back on it's own, and it didn't matter how many times I rebooted the phone. I have not had any issues recently though.
  14. suliman

suliman New Member

This issue is still not resolved

15. sbenson

sbenson New Member

Are you rooted?
  16. monceja

monceja New Member

I have wifi tether over 3.1 beta 11 and have had no problem with. I use it to watch TV from sling player on my laptop and works great

17. suliman

suliman New Member

yes running cm9 kang. Connects and has a few mins of data then stops sending or receiving data, and when i try to reconnect it nothing. also causes hard resets sometimes. I have the newest version. Correct device selected and wifi reboot off. also tried it with that on.
  18. sbenson

sbenson New Member

Are you using the built in wifi tether that's included with the rom? Or are you using the Root Wifi Tether?

The default that's built into the rom should work fine. Go to your settings > More... > Tethering & portable hotspot. Configure, if needed, then enable it.
  19. scion676

scion676 New Member

So I am still having issues with both Foxfi and (root) wifi tether apps but its particular to having my ipad 2 as the tethered device and streaming a show using airvideo/plex/airplayit etc... It seems the tethering works alright when it's an intermittent transmission (such as web browsing or watching a short video online or using a non streaming app... but I still run into the issue where the tethering app just stops transmitting to the connected device. The ipad still says its connected to the hotspot.. the app on the Gnex is still active... but no data will pass through... data still works on the phone through other apps.

Mildly frustrating because I cannot seem to replicate it consistently. I have streamed a 21 or a 42 min show... but only later in the evenings or night time (when I guess the network might be less congested?). I've stayed tethered for hours if I am just doing work or email... but the streaming apps consistently cause the connection to drop. I am wondering if its some sort of interoperability with the ipad specifically...
  20. monceja

monceja New Member

I recently bought an iPad and also have the same problem with it showing its on wifi but after a couple of minutes of trying to load the web page it says no internet connection. I tried both wifi tether and foxfi. I use wifi tether with my laptop and I have no problems with it.

Search tags for this page
android wifi tether local access only
foxfi alternative for iphone

foxfi local access only

foxfi local only

how to change the channel on foxfi
liquidsmooth wifi tether
tether quit unexpectedly
tether quits unexpectedly
the application foxfi has stopped unexpectedly
what if your motorola moto g doesnt have the tethering & portable hotspot icon