How do I get wifi tether to work.

monceja

Reaction score
I have wifi tether over 3.1 beta 11 and have had no problem with. I use it to watch TV from sling player on my laptop and works great

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
S

suliman

Reaction score
Are you rooted?

yes running cm9 kang. Connects and has a few mins of data then stops sending or receiving data, and when i try to reconnect it nothing. also causes hard resets sometimes. I have the newest version. Correct device selected and wifi reboot off. also tried it with that on.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
yes running cm9 kang. Connects and has a few mins of data then stops sending or receiving data, and when i try to reconnect it nothing. also causes hard resets sometimes. I have the newest version. Correct device selected and wifi reboot off. also tried it with that on.

Are you using the built in wifi tether that's included with the rom? Or are you using the Root Wifi Tether?

The default that's built into the rom should work fine. Go to your settings > More... > Tethering & portable hotspot. Configure, if needed, then enable it.

scion676

Reaction score
So I am still having issues with both Foxfi and (root) wifi tether apps but its particular to having my ipad 2 as the tethered device and streaming a show using airvideo/plex/airplayit etc... It seems the tethering works alright when it's an intermittent transmission (such as web browsing or watching a short video online or using a non streaming app... but I still run into the issue where the tethering app just stops transmitting to the connected device. The ipad still says its connected to the hotspot.. the app on the Gnex is still active... but no data will pass through... data still works on the phone through other apps.

Mildly frustrating because I cannot seem to replicate it consistently. I have streamed a 21 or a 42 min show... but only later in the evenings or night time (when I guess the network might be less congested?). I've stayed tethered for hours if I am just doing work or email... but the streaming apps consistently cause the connection to drop. I am wondering if its some sort of interoperability with the ipad specifically...

monceja

Reaction score
I recently bought an iPad and also have the same problem with it showing its on wifi but after a couple of minutes of trying to load the web page it says no internet connection. I tried both wifi tether and foxfi. I use wifi tether with my laptop and I have no problems with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you need to tether your device(s) you have 3 choices.

1. Do so by paying Verizon, and have them troubleshoot the issue for you.
2. Use other alternatives to tether. Foxfi is not the only game in town (please see my signature for other options).
3. Use a different ROM that has embedded tethering functionality (per captdroid's advice below)

Good luck.

captdroid

Reaction score
If you need to tether your device(s) you have 2 choices.

2. Use other alternatives to tether. Foxfi is not the only game in town (please see my signature for other options).

Good luck.

Or if you are running a custom ROM such as AOKP then you just turn on WIFI or USB tether under settings no subscription or additional app needed :)

scion676

Reaction score
If you need to tether your device(s) you have 3 choices.

3. Use a different ROM that has embedded tethering functionality (per captdroid's advice below)

Good luck.

Tried those already. Same results. Thanks though.

ShinyTop

Reaction score
I use the wifi and hotspot tether, icon on my phone is labeled SVTP. I have used this all day when necessary with two to three laptops connected. And the signal carries well.

scion676

Reaction score
I use the wifi and hotspot tether, icon on my phone is labeled SVTP. I have used this all day when necessary with two to three laptops connected. And the signal carries well.

Have you tried tethering with an ipad (if you have access to one?) problem doesn't seem to lie with other devices... just iOS devices...

ShinyTop

Reaction score
No ipad, have tethered with Android phones, Android tablets, and laptops.

coolshock1

Reaction score
I have with my Macbook Pro and I lose connectivity once in a while. I just turn off the wifi on the laptop and turn it back on and I'm back in business. This has only happened after a few hours of connectivity.

ShinyTop

Reaction score
I powered up my iPhone 3GS tonight and connected via my tether on my Gnex. I then played a Netflix movie to test it and it played thru without pause.

soulshot96

Reaction score
I use the elixir widget most of the time and it works fine. Drops data sometimes but rarely. Have foxfi and it seems to work but I haven't really used it much yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

soulshot96

Reaction score
Does have a issue connecting to some windows laptops sometimes though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus