USB tether needs a plan?

Reaction score
On my Bionic I could use USB teher and it never prompted me for any kind of addon from Verizon. And even when looking at the tethering addon for Verizon it looks like it only applies to making the phone a hotspot. But when I enable USB tethering on the Gnex it says I have to call Verizon, I assume to add a plan. I thought they were cool with USB tethering without the tethering addon?

Nubbie

Reaction score
Have to root your phone. I know on my D1 I would have needed to buy a plan. rooting you can do for free. though I've read rooted tethering option isnt even working quite yet

pchakmak

Reaction score
I am currently using PDAnet for USB tethering. It works fine. I am actually using it right now with no issues. I am not rooted.

I have a question though. Is anyone using the WiFi Hotspot app? I used it and the hot spot works great. I would just like a confirmation that Verizon is not tracking my usage and thus will then bill me for the hot spot usage. Again I am NOT rooted.

Channeldave

Reaction score
How are some people able to use PDAnet and others cannot? When I try to enable tethering in settings it tells me to call verizon.

Can you tell us how you set it up?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a question though. Is anyone using the WiFi Hotspot app? I used it and the hot spot works great. I would just like a confirmation that Verizon is not tracking my usage and thus will then bill me for the hot spot usage. Again I am NOT rooted.
people have been using wifi hotspot and usb tether app since july of this year and nobody has been billed for it.