Galaxy Nexus - Wifi Tethering without the need for root

Wadman

Reaction score
How did they see the app? Did you physically give to the service rep, or did the remotely audit your apps? Is your phone rooted?

I guess they can see what u have. I called another time and i was getting prank calls all the time and they said they could see that i had evil operator and that might be why. I honestly dont know how they see it. I just got my nexus and it isnt rooted. I had a xroid x when the throttle was initiated. I was rooting running liberty 3.0 using the wireless tether app. I am not using wireless tether right now but thoight id share being that this is what this thread is about....

hookerdj

Reaction score
You can wireless tether your Galaxy Nexus without root using "Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether"
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.svtechpartners.wifihotspot&hl=en

I have verified that it works. I could tether my HP Touchpad to my unrooted Galaxy Nexus (with a little troubleshooting) over 3G and 4G.

there is nothing free here you have to be subscribed to verizon to use this .........

If you would like to try the application first, a trial is available:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.svtechpartners.wifihotspotdemo
...........................................................................................
The below text is for information purposes only, as it was the original text from this thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: You must be subscribed to Verizon's WiFi hotspot plan in order for this to work. If your phone is rooted, you may be able to use this feature without giving Verizon more money, or use alternatives.

source: Samsung Galaxy Nexus – How to use it as a Wi-Fi hotspot

----------------------------------------------------------------------

soulshot96

Reaction score
I tried that app but I didn't have the $10 for it. Lucky me I found another way to get around it! ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

baldybill

Reaction score
I tried that app but I didn't have the $10 for it. Lucky me I found another way to get around it! ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

And how is that? Please share.

Sent from my OG Droid

OP
akhenax

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
The developer of this APP posted an update. Screen shot attached

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

I just used it yesterday (12/29/11) and it worked. Hmmm.

OP
akhenax

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
there is nothing free here you have to be subscribed to verizon to use this .........

I am not subscribed to use wifi hotspot through Verizon, and I was able to use it just fine.

OP
akhenax

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess they can see what u have. I called another time and i was getting prank calls all the time and they said they could see that i had evil operator and that might be why. I honestly dont know how they see it. I just got my nexus and it isnt rooted. I had a xroid x when the throttle was initiated. I was rooting running liberty 3.0 using the wireless tether app. I am not using wireless tether right now but thoight id share being that this is what this thread is about....

This is scary! If they can audit the apps I have on the phone, they have installed Carrier IQ or something similar in the OS without our knowledge. However, if you are using a rooted custom Rom, then I doubt C IQ would be installed. Perhaps they have access to your marketplace history? But still, the wireless tether you is a downloadable apk and not in the Market. Curious!

Snow02

Reaction score
I doubt Verizon can remotely see what apps you have installed. I'm sure that's a privacy issue. However, if you handed an uncool rep your phone with it installed...

The last time I took my thunderbolt in for a sim card, my rep commented on it being rooted, and then showed me his thunderbolt running cm7. Obviously he was cool about it. No idea if someone would actually notate your account re: root/tether though.

But the bottom line is that if you're tethering very rarely, like most of us I'm sure, you're fine. They really only care about those that are using it regularly, and should really be subscribing to the hotspot.

Wadman

Reaction score
I was on the phone with customer service..not at the store. Yes..he most definitely coukd see what i had. Why woukd i have any reason to lie about that. And furthermore...i want to root my nexus and use wireless tether..but i am not going to for the simple reason that its bitten me once..believe me or not..if this worked i would love to use it but just dont want to get hit up with fees...

shinobi13

Reaction score
So I am running liberty 2.0 on my phone and I used the tether feature built in a couple of times for a few minutes mainly to test it out. Verizon can see that I did this without paying their stupid 30 bucks a month hotspot plan? I have checked my bill and No extra charges. Am I missing something here? Granted I maybe used 10-20 mb of data.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Snow02

Reaction score
I was on the phone with customer service..not at the store. Yes..he most definitely coukd see what i had. Why woukd i have any reason to lie about that. And furthermore...i want to root my nexus and use wireless tether..but i am not going to for the simple reason that its bitten me once..believe me or not..if this worked i would love to use it but just dont want to get hit up with fees...

Unless you gave them permission to pull info from your phone, I'd be upset. What else are they privy to, and how are they getting that info? What phone was this on?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Try an app called elixir 2 widgets. You can set up a widget to turn on/off hotspot which bypasses Verizon pop up message. Also its free.

Last edited:

wolfpackron

Reaction score
Is that the same as elixir 2 widgets? Do I have to install another app? I am a rooke on using widgets. How does this app work to tether without paying? Thanks in advance. WolfpackRon.

Last edited:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's elixir 2. I've modified other post to correct it. How it works beats me but I assume like the other paid app it bypasses subscription check.

nobodyukno

Reaction score
Yes, it's elixir 2. I've modified other post to correct it. How it works beats me but I assume like the other paid app it bypasses subscription check.

But how do you use this widget to tether?