Galaxy Nexus - Wifi Tethering without the need for root

oddllama

Reaction score
On the topic: I have 3 smart phones, 1 feature phone and an air card. I pay ~$360 per month for my "unlimited" data so that's how I treat it. as unlimited.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
would also like to point out that the problem with verizon LTE .........IS infrastructure.

2 data outages nationwide in 2 weeks....not good. And this one was early this morning. Im not 100 percent certain...but Ill go out on a limb here and say...There is a HIGH likelihood that the outages are NOT due to people with unlimited plans tethering.

I guess people who say verizon will experience infrastructure problems (not related to tethering) do know what they are talking about. :p

OP
akhenax

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
FYI, since this discussion was before the phone actually came out, when you attempt to check the Portable Wifi Hotspot option, it checks to see if you have Hotspot on your plan and says you need to subscribe first if you dont.

Thank you. This was the original reason why the thread was created, to ascertain if you would need a Verizon plan to enable the Wifi Hotspot. So it looks like the phone will need to be rooted. Darn! :mad:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
would also like to point out that the problem with verizon LTE .........IS infrastructure.

2 data outages nationwide in 2 weeks....not good. And this one was early this morning. Im not 100 percent certain...but Ill go out on a limb here and say...There is a HIGH likelihood that the outages are NOT due to people with unlimited plans tethering.

I guess people who say verizon will experience infrastructure problems (not related to tethering) do know what they are talking about. :p

But people who say "all they have to do is upgrade the infrastructure and people can unlimited tether to their heart's content" still don't...

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
rooting and unlocking bootloader is simple...it took me about 5 minutes total. Easier than sbf'ing the d1 and CERTAINLY easier than rooting the thunderbolt.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
But people who say "all they have to do is upgrade the infrastructure and people can unlimited tether to their heart's content" still don't...

YOU are the only one who has said that in this entire thread. ;) You are making a connection between two different points that didnt exist. At least I never said that.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
YOU are the only one who has said that in this entire thread. ;) You are making a connection between two different points that didnt exist. At least I never said that.

I think the implication is very obviously there. You've said that they need to upgrade their infrastructure, you've also said that they should allow those who do it reasonably to do it. The point is there's no way they could allow that, because how do you police "reasonable"? They would spend more money and more time to go after the people who don't do it reasonably. Like I said, if they were to allow everyone to do it and say "just keep it reasonable" you don't think more people are going to be unreasonable? I mean, people here tether when they're not technically supposed to, so if Verizon gives them the green light, they're just gonna become upstanding reasonable mobile users who don't try to figure out workarounds? That they'd just suddenly "see the light" and appreciate Verizon for giving it to them? No. What would happen is everyone and their mother would be doing it (even if they don't abuse it) and the network would suffer, and then people would complain about "poor infrastructure" when they're getting 3G speeds on 4G.

My point has always been that it's unfair that people with tiers don't have hotspot included. Or that people like you who use it minimally have to be scared that you'll get caught or overcharged. That's completely unfair. But the other side of my point is, there's a reason they do what they do. And that's because just going out there and "upgrading their infrastructure" is an exercise in futility if they're going to allow everyone a free hotspot and hope and pray that it's kept "reasonable". Of course, if you'd be willing to pay $80/month for your data plan as opposed to $30, maybe they'd be more willing to allow it. Somehow I doubt you'd be ok with that though...

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ive already stated this. You dont 'police' people....their data usages speaks for them. Same way electricity companies alert law enforcement to suspect grow houses. They use too much electricity.

Now...for "reasonable" use...Im talking about turning on tethering, connecting to my phone with my xoom...and using the xoom for what i WOULD be doing on the phone anyway. Using tethering in this manner does not use more data than would be used otherwise by using the phone itself.

So basically..yeah...your own inferences dont necessarily mesh with my actual words...nor my opinion. And as stated previously...you made a connection that was never there.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ive already stated this. You dont 'police' people....their data usages speaks for them. Same way electricity companies alert law enforcement to suspect grow houses. They use too much electricity.

Now...for "reasonable" use...Im talking about turning on tethering, connecting to my phone with my xoom...and using the xoom for what i WOULD be doing on the phone anyway. Using tethering in this manner does not use more data than would be used otherwise by using the phone itself.

So basically..yeah...your own inferences dont necessarily mesh with my actual words...nor my opinion. And as stated previously...you made a connection that was never there.

I feel like we're arguing in circles. If data usage "speaks for them" then what you're suggesting would force everyone into tiers. Why? Because Verizon doesn't go after you for overusing your "unlimited" data do they? How many people do you know on unlimited plans that got a $5,000 bill because they used 30GB last month? None. Verizon does not limit the amount of data you can use if you have an unlimited plan. As for throttling, I'm sorry but they're not throttling 95% of the nation nor are you throttled forever. Further, 4G phones are not throttled ever (at least not yet) so it clearly doesn't affect you since you have a 4G phone. But you're suggesting that they should include the hotspot since there are people like you who don't abuse it, and just monitor data usage for those that do. That's called tiers. And like I said, I think the hotspot should be included in tiers. I don't know why its not. That's just dumb.

However, it would never work with unlimited, because monitoring your usage on unlimited to make sure you stay within "reasonable" usage amounts to not being unlimited. Plain and simple. I can't understand why you think that if VZW advertised unlimited data with unlimited hotspot that people wouldn't take advantage of that and get rid of their ISP. Couple that with "reasonable" usage and you might as well be on a tier. The point is, unlimited hotpost would never work on an unlimited plan. It's unfair to you, yes, because you don't abuse it, but I'm sure you can appreciate that they don't care about people like you who want to check a quick email while you're on the road. You're not the type of people they have to consider when they decide if a hotspot should be included in their data plans. Trying to monitor usage, charging overages for people who don't use it reasonably and then trying to recoup the money that they're owed when people will undoubtedly use the "unlimited is unlimited", "data is data" argument is a complete waste of time and money for them, unless of course like I mentioned you'd be willing to pay $80/month for data.

I don't even know why we're discussing this haha. It's not going to happen, plain and simple. It sucks for you and it would suck for me if i tethered because I wouldn't abuse it either, but that's not the point. Unlimited hotspot is simply not a viable option for a carrier as more and more people sign up for them no matter how great their infrastructure is given their current price points (and probably even if they increased rates). It's simply never going to happen. If you (or anyone else) were to look at it objectively and let go of the "it's not fair" argument you'd see that.

OP
akhenax

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you. This was the original reason why the thread was created, to ascertain if you would need a Verizon plan to enable the Wifi Hotspot. So it looks like the phone will need to be rooted. Darn! :mad:

I have updated the OP. You do NOT need root and you do NOT need to use the Verizon method. DancingNexus

MrNiceGuy

Reaction score
This thread has been seriously high jacked by arguments over infrastructure. Blah blah blah....start a new thread.

DOES THIS APP successfully WORK?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

shastrich2005

Reaction score
I use it and it works. It costs me $10 total to download the app. My laptop picks up the signal with no problem. Used it on my Charge too and never seen any extra charges on my bill. I turn the app on, and it gives you a name and WEP key to use. It's simple to use and it does work. Just takes a minute for the laptop to sign on to the network- other than that it's peaches. ;)

MrNiceGuy

Reaction score
The developer of this APP posted an update. Screen shot attached

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Wadman

Reaction score
I had the network data optimization deal added to my account. I was told by a service rep that i met none of the criteria for the "throttle." Upon further review he said "i notice u have the wireless tether app on your phone." Is that a tethering hack to get around paying for the tethering service?" I played dumb. He said that is probably why it was added to my account. I had only used 3 gigs the month before and u have to be over 4 consistently but i hadnt. Be careful what u do. I was lucky they only optimized and didnt tag on extra fees..

OP
akhenax

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had the network data optimization deal added to my account. I was told by a service rep that i met none of the criteria for the "throttle." Upon further review he said "i notice u have the wireless tether app on your phone." Is that a tethering hack to get around paying for the tethering service?" I played dumb. He said that is probably why it was added to my account. I had only used 3 gigs the month before and u have to be over 4 consistently but i hadnt. Be careful what u do. I was lucky they only optimized and didnt tag on extra fees..
How did they see the app? Did you physically give to the service rep, or did the remotely audit your apps? Is your phone rooted?