Tethered stock but rooted question

FiLiNuX

Reaction score
Hello all,
I recently flashed back to stock from Gummy to do the 4.0.4 update (glad I did:) and have been having trouble finding a working,free, tethering app. I do not need Wi-Fi tethering just USB. I am rooted still. Basically want the functionality of tethering like when running a custom ROM.
Any suggestions?

THANKS!

OP
F

FiLiNuX

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply and suggestion on PDA net
. I've used it before but don't like that you have to install a client on the tethered machine. There must be a apk that people include in the custom roms.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, all USB tethering requires a client on the machine. I use Koush's tether, since the client software can be downloaded through the APK.

OP
F

FiLiNuX

Reaction score
Anyone have ideas on how /what custom ROMs use to achieve wired tether without a client on the computer side of the tether?

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Custom Roms do not use a client on the tethered machine they simply remove the Verizon Block and allow you to tether freely. What you do need on the client machine for tethering to work is the appropriate driver for a USB internet connection to work. The appropriate driver is based on your phone model. Windows 7 is very good with identifying the phone and locating the driver automatically. Win XP is a bit more spoiled and you would have to find the driver yourself.

OP
F

FiLiNuX

Reaction score
FOUND THE ANSWER I WAS LOOKING FOR!! :)

First I would like to say thanks again for the replies. I would also like to say that in my OP I didn't mean anything bad about Gummy ROM (Out of the ROMS I tried it was the best) its just that I was pleased with what 4.0.4 did for me. And finally before I go on I am not sure if it is OK to post links to other sites/forums FOR INFORMATION SHARING only so if it is I apologize. Now;

In reading and digging around I found EXACTLY what I was looking for. I wanted to be able to tether just like I was running a Custom ROM WITHOUT having to install any kind of client software on the tethered PC or device. On this site [ROM]IMM30B 4.0.4 Stock,rooted,deodexed,zipaligned,busybox,insecure boot + mods zips - xda-developers this gentleman has links for several useful "patches" & stuff related to 4.0.4 including one (mid page) called "Native Tethering Hack" and a link to download. I have tried it and can confirm 100% it works on stock 4.0.4 just like a custom ROM. Simply plug in and go into settings and select USB tethering and PERFECTO! Worked so far on Win7 64 & 2 different Linux machines.

I know its probably strange answering your own post but I wanted to share in case anyone else might be looking for the same thing some time.