Tethering - Here's why I wouldn't do it...

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
THEORY WHY WE HAVEN'T SEEN SCANNED BILLS FROM BUSTED TETHERERS: perhaps VZ threatens to sue if this is done.

This got me pretty scared , I just showed my VZ bill to a friend today , man I don't want to go to jail :( , hope my friend won't rat me out to them , I'll call him tomorrow and let him know he can have my PS3 just so he won't tell nothing about this .

The terms of a settlement contract often contain restrictions on what information can be revealed.

In addition, do whatever you want. Neighsay all you want. I don't know what makes you so confident and trusting of a corporation. Care to share how you know so much about VZ's current and future policies?

Thach

Reaction score
I don't tether really at all, because the 3G at my house is terrible, so I'm always connected to wifi at the house. But as far as rooting and having to take my phone in if something goes wrong(Assuming it's FUBAR). You can just call me unethical, because I will "lose" my phone.

I haven't Rooted my phone just yet, I'm still taking notes and making sure what I want before I do it. That being said, I would have to agree with you on making the phone become lost. Thats if and only if I completely jack up the phone.

JCo352

Reaction score
I don't tether really at all, because the 3G at my house is terrible, so I'm always connected to wifi at the house. But as far as rooting and having to take my phone in if something goes wrong(Assuming it's FUBAR). You can just call me unethical, because I will "lose" my phone.

I haven't Rooted my phone just yet, I'm still taking notes and making sure what I want before I do it. That being said, I would have to agree with you on making the phone become lost. Thats if and only if I completely jack up the phone.

When I said that I meant, if something unrelated to rooting went wrong(like me dropping it), and couldn't get it unrooted, to be able to take it back, I would "lose" it. But I'm not really worried about messing up my phone, it is really hard to do, as far as rooting is concerned.

Thach

Reaction score

When I said that I meant, if something unrelated to rooting went wrong(like me dropping it), and couldn't get it unrooted, to be able to take it back, I would "lose" it. But I'm not really worried about messing up my phone, it is really hard to do, as far as rooting is concerned.

I got ya, I should have been a little more clear myself. From reading everything in these forums, I have become very confident when it comes to Rooting so thats not what I meant either. I think we are both on the same thinking wave here so I will just leave it at that.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
I stand corrected, ,verizon just cancelled my account....

wait, no they didn't, in fact, I'm tethering right now doing my best to ruin it for others...

dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected, ,verizon just cancelled my account....

wait, no they didn't, in fact, I'm tethering right now doing my best to ruin it for others...

dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

Your arguments are so compelling...

NOT!

Last edited:

jozhua

Reaction score
It is obviously not a problem for them now. If they were really concerned, they would develop the Broadband Connect product to work with the Droid so they could make money off it. They will do that before they try to go after cheap asses using it as a home internet replacement.

Neupy

Reaction score
I only use it on the times I get close to my 5gig netbook limit. But THAT bein said....I also use aBIT alot lol. They say unlimited....then Im gonna use my phone to DL full album torrents etc.

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
sorry im being lazy and not wanting to read through 19 pages but as the OP said

"Obviously I asked what he learned to substantiate such a claim. He told me that in Friday morning's meeting, two things came up. First, his store manager gave an explanation to the team about what "Rooting" is, and that if a customer comes in with any Droid phone for troubleshooting/technical support, they are to ask to see the phone and to check the "About Phone section" to determine if a phone is rooted. If it is, the sales/customer support rep is to notate in the customer's account that they have made modifications to their phone which voids the warranty, and they are to refuse to help the customer with any tech. support and are to tell the customer to call in to customer care for further information (and customer care is supposed to let the customer know their contract has been canceled and that they owe an ETF and that VZW is dropping their service)."

i can understand them refusing the service of tech support BUT cancelling your contract and making you pay the ETF is a bit much IMO you bought the phone therefore you should be able to do what ever you want with it right??

and i also undersand that it voids your warranty but thats only for ech support and replacements right??

PLEASE correct me if im wrong

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
i can understand them refusing the service of tech support BUT cancelling your contract and making you pay the ETF is a bit much IMO you bought the phone therefore you should be able to do what ever you want with it right??

and i also undersand that it voids your warranty but thats only for ech support and replacements right??

PLEASE correct me if im wrong

It's mostly because they have to make up for selling you the phone at 1/3rd retail... I think it's BS, but it's something we agree to when we buy the phone, so they can do it.

I believe it voids your warranty in all the important ways, through all warranty providers (not sure about Asurion).

jozhua

Reaction score
It is obviously not a problem for them now. If they were really concerned, they would develop the Broadband Connect product to work with the Droid so they could make money off it. They will do that before they try to go after cheap asses using it as a home internet replacement.

uh huh....

Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Plans

Well that is just my opinion. If we start seeing multiple posts of people getting charged outrageous fees for data usage then I will eat my words :)

angelman

Reaction score
Is it not easy to rack up >5GB without tethering

If you stream high quality internet radio all the time. (I use my droid as my car radio) and all day at work too, and then maybe publish video to the web continually say using qik and upload numerous, long high quality videos to facebook using bloo all that should easily rack up the GB...
Unless they actually look at every site you have visited and monitor the kind of traffic eg. flash it's hard to see how they can get you.
When flash comes to droid then surely all bets are off. Even now you could just be playing high quality videos of youtube, vimeo et al. Not sure how their bandwidth compares to hulu but it's got to be quite a bit more than regular surfing