Test your headphone jack!!

OP
PhontomF

PhontomF

Reaction score
I personally don't have the squeal problem, but have any of you that do tweaked the speaker and sound settings? go to settings => sound => media audio effects..... There are settings for the phone speaker and headphones. Just curious.

Didn't even know those options were there. Just tried messing with them and no difference in interference, however they did improve the sound quality of my music so a big thanks for that. :cool:

nooter99

Reaction score
Have only listened to Sirius so far. It's dead silent with volume turned all the way down and I cannot hear any whine or squeal with volume up. BTW, Sirius streams perfectly on 4G. No buffering, and no log outs, which happened a lot on my Droid 1 using 3G.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Scribble

Reaction score
For those having the squealing- is it when your phone is charging, or all the time? (My Original Droid did it when fully charged nd still plugged in.)

OP
PhontomF

PhontomF

Reaction score
It's at all times whenever any media is playing sound

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't even know where I would plug it in to hear if it has problems... I probably used the one on my Droid twice.

redwood

Reaction score
Mine doesn't whine with headphones on but I did notice a whine when plugged in to the car stereo aux input, powered by the car charger in the dock. The whine rose and fell with the engine revs when not playing audio, but either went away or was masked when playing tunes or using the navigation. YMMV

brianlayman

Reaction score
Buy/find a couple small rare earth magnets to fix that problem. Tape one to the power cord just before the cord goes into the jack that plugs into your phone tape a second one before you the end you plug into the aux jack and I bet that whine will go away.. Cheaper magnets would like work to a lesser degree. Just don't rub the rare earth magnets all over your Droid.

Bionica

Reaction score
Same squeal. Whether Wifi is on/off, 4G on/off, airplane mode on/off, plugged in to charger or not, or magnets used on the cords... Nothing gets rid of the squeal besides stopping the audio and waiting a few seconds.

Last edited:

redwood

Reaction score
Yeah was thinking that or some ferrite cores. Also to keep things tidy I ran my audio cord through the coiled charger - prolly a bad idea.

Buy/find a couple small rare earth magnets to fix that problem. Tape one to the power cord just before the cord goes into the jack that plugs into your phone tape a second one before you the end you plug into the aux jack and I bet that whine will go away.. Cheaper magnets would like work to a lesser degree. Just don't rub the rare earth magnets all over your Droid.

djembeman

Reaction score
Bringing Headphones!!!

Wow, thank you all for noticing and reporting this problem. This would be a huge problem for me because I listen to music, watch movies and make phone calls either through headphones or my car stereo every day. Can't imagine how much a plane ride would suck with this problem.

Bringing headphones with me from now on when shopping for a phone!!!

johnny_waz

Reaction score
Same squeal. Whether Wifi is on/off, 4G on/off, airplane mode on/off, plugged in to charger or not, or magnets used on the cords... Nothing gets rid of the squeal besides stopping the audio and waiting a few seconds.

Same for me, I've tried it all to. Still the same problems from my first post. I do think the squeal we hear is releated to age groups. I'm 35 and can hear frequency ranges that say a 40+ year old can't hear. There is a neat dog whistle, android app where you can change frquency ranges so only certain people can hear it. I've played with it numerous times and its interesting to see who can hear what frequency(squeal) in a crowded room.

rctp10

Reaction score
Ive got it too.....but would not have noticed it unless i read this thread. I will agree though that the sound quality is amazing when playing music, I only hear the squeal when it stops. Each person with this problem should email moto and tell them the only way they can make this right is to Unlock the bootloader. I think this would be fair, Right?

OP
PhontomF

PhontomF

Reaction score
Ive got it too.....but would not have noticed it unless i read this thread. I will agree though that the sound quality is amazing when playing music, I only hear the squeal when it stops. Each person with this problem should email moto and tell them the only way they can make this right is to Unlock the bootloader. I think this would be fair, Right?

Sounds like a good trade off to me hahaha

lstroyan

Reaction score
Mine is very obvious and I'm 43. I compared it to my OG which had no squeal at all. I'm really concerned that this will give me headaches. Has anyone returned a phone and gotten a better one?

My headphone jack is funky too...really sticky and doesn't seem to go in all the way.

Also is there any way to turn both 3g and
4g off on this phone without turning off wireless? Mine is the same sound for both 4g and 3g, and I'd really rather not be running the data radio when on wifi.

Thanks, everyone, for figuring this out, would love advice.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums