Motorola, Please tell me this is a bad joke!!!

1800collect

Reaction score
Hiss is still there with standard headphones for me. I can hear it in the car as well, but only if the car is parked, the engine is off, and the volume is up.

Like others have said, it's identical to the old hiss that it had when the Bionic first came out. Too bad it's back.

That's strange. I just tried headphones without a mic and the hiss didn't appear on those headphones.

Only the headphones with a mic. Were the pair you have have radio controls? My headphones with a mic have radio controls.

Reaction score
None of the headphones I have use a mic or inline control, and all of them have the whine. Definitely software issue.

1800collect

Reaction score
None of the headphones I have use a mic or inline control, and all of them have the whine. Definitely software issue.

Maybe me other headphones are a piece of crap so it doesn't pick up the subtly of the hiss. The other ones are much nicer and it is hiss-arama.

looseinthedeuce

Reaction score
The headphones I use don't have a mic either, so it's definitely not related to that. Can anyone else notice the hiss coming out the main speaker as I described? It is far more subtle, and it's still only present for about a second after the audio is paused. But if you load an app that plays music and turn the volume all the way down, you can hear the hiss out the main speaker continuously. You have to hold it up to your ear....I realize this isn't normal, so I'm only recommending it to those trying to troubleshoot. As I said before, the hiss isn't bothersome out the speaker, but it's a factor/symptom of the issue (in case Motorola is reading this!!).

h8losing

Reaction score
I hear it in the car via aux port but u can adjust the volume to mask it a little. The hiss during phone calls is unbearable.

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
Has anyone found a workaround? What about using a Bluetooth headset?

Also, can you post your age and if you can hear it or not. I'm 32 and I can hear it. I know that as you get older, your hearing range decreases. I'm wondering if there is a correlation between age and if the problem is present.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where are the people who got the Bionic on launch because someone definitely figured out that the hiss is a hardware issue and even had the evidence to back it up.

FriarWhently

Reaction score
Where are the people who got the Bionic on launch because someone definitely figured out that the hiss is a hardware issue and even had the evidence to back it up.

I got my Bionic on launch day and it had the hiss from the beginning. Then they released an OTA with bug fixes and the headphone hiss issue immediately resolved. Fast forward to now with this ICS OTA and the hiss is back. Software issue.

Also, I don't have Blutooth headphones, but apparently they got rid of the hiss in the past. This was a common suggestion back before the OTA fixed it.

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
Arkbird said:

The replacement Bionic I received from Verizon came with .905 on it, and did not have the 'hiss' noise present. After I upgraded that device to ICS via OTA, the hiss was immediately noticeable.

Reaction score
FWIW, I still hear it through BT paired with any of my cars' stereos. Not as bad as with headphones, but still noticeable. For me, it almost sounds like the really high notes or bright sounds are being clipped and turned into high-frequency static.

tbb1226

Reaction score
I've always had the hiss. I don't know where the post is but this hiss is not a software issue.
Root cause is most likely hardware, but there was a definite corrective action (band-aid) implemented in software for GB in .902 and .905. Whatever it is that you've "always had" is not the same as this noise.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
tbb1226 said:
Root cause is most likely hardware, but there was a definite corrective action (band-aid) implemented in software for GB in .902 and .905. Whatever it is that you've "always had" is not the same as this noise.

What I had is the exact same as what I hear now. Never was it corrected for my phone.

tbb1226

Reaction score
What I had is the exact same as what I hear now. Never was it corrected for my phone.
I think that's what I just said.

The point is that your apparent issue is unrelated to the topic, since this thread is about headphone noise that was corrected by a previous software release, and now has returned with the ICS release.