FIXED: High pitch audio whine through audio jack ATTN: Audiophiles

quizzard

Reaction score
For the fellow audiophiles, a fix for the high pitched audio whine during pauses has been found. Update your phone to 5.5.893 <-- CLICK HERE . It includes some other fixes such as a better radio and whatnot.

I'm sure if you wait another month or so a real OTA update will fix it, but for those want better audio quality now, this is the way to go.

I believe this was mainly a problem with the higher end headphones. I am using a set of Shure SCL4's. Before the 5.5.893 update there was a high pitched whine due to interference from the 4gLTE antenna. After the update the issue is gone.

Last edited:

muffins7497

Reaction score
Can you give more information?
Where is the update? How do you applied it or do you mean new Rom?
Thanks for your information and I notice, about 100 forum member read your tread and no comments
about your fix. They... maybe like me, have no ideal how to go about fixing it or don't care? But I do.
Looking forward to your fix.
Thanks

GeLopez

Reaction score
Can you give more information?
Where is the update? How do you applied it or do you mean new Rom?
Thanks for your information and I notice, about 100 forum member read your tread and no comments
about your fix. They... maybe like me, have no ideal how to go about fixing it or don't care? But I do.
Looking forward to your fix.
Thanks

there is a link hidden next to waldo, to find it you must read the op again and again. its there i promise

lgalcarte

Reaction score
So does this update really make the whine completely go away?

I installed the update for 893 and the whine is almost completely gone. I listen to internet radio on my phone (Slacker, Pandora) through my car speakers and I would get a terrible high pitch whine in between songs or when the phone was searching for a data connection. Since I updated to 893 two days ago, no whine and no data connection issues!! Really! It's worth it! If I could do it, anyone can.

The instructions are VERY simple and it works. The cheesecake method didn't work for me, though. I did this and it worked flawlessly:

1. went back to stock root (restored the nandroid backup I created right after rooting and before I flashed any roms using Bionic Bootstrapper, rebooting in recovery mode)
2. rebooted
3. followed the forever root instructions using the root explorer method (How to maintain root through any upgrade (Motorola Devices Only)
4. rebooted
5. downloaded the .893 update file (Droid Bionic Found Update Files --- Read Before You Flash)
6. moved the downloaded file to my sd card
7. rebooted my phone to STOCK recovery (hold in both vol buttons then hit the power button, when little guy with triangle and exclamation point comes on, select recovery, hit the vol up button to select)
8. install the downloaded .893 update file
9. rebooted

and BOOM, there it is!!

TIP: For some reason I couldn't figure out how to go below the first screen of directories (I couldn't get past the C's) in recover to flash the update file so I had to move it to my "books" directory so I could access it. I moved it back to the appropriate directory after. You might want to move the file to a directory that will be on the top of the list so you can get to it, too.

:yeahbaby01::woot:

Venable

Reaction score
OP
Q

quizzard

Reaction score
Supposedly the problem was interference with the 4g signal.

The .893 update has a new radio and kernel(don't ask me what it means). What I can tell is that the audio quality is just as good as my OGD and wife's D2G.

Now, if you're listening to low bitrate music with high quality headphones, there's not much anyone can do.

muffins7497

Reaction score
bypassed aux input to play music on your Bonic

I post a tread last week about how to connect your Bionic to your
vehicle car equipped bluetooth. On my Bionic, I am able to play Slacker through
the bluetooth enable radio. So if you have a bluetooth in your car, pair it and play
Slacker because I have not tested on a music file.. but it should work.
This will not solve the connecting jack to your aux input and hearing noise.
I still have the problem, but the bluetooth method bypassed problem for now.

AdamNJ77

Reaction score
I thought there was NO WAY the problem could be solved with software and was all ready to keep sending my Bionic back to Motorola DEMANDING they fix it. But I have used my headphones with various apps and there is NO WHINE. It sounds GREAT. I have NO IDEA how they accomplished this. To be honest I am pretty amazed. How this phone was EVER allowed to be released as it was with it's initial software is BEYOND ME

raistian77

Reaction score
Huge rush to beat Apple to the store front and the fact the original Bionic was scrapped and then redesigned from the ground up after showing the original Bionic.

Deciding to redo the Bionic after CES was a HUGE mistake and made a lot of buyers thing the Bionic was vapor-ware.

But if you think 5.5.893 was good try getting 5.7.893 it makes the phone was it was supposed to be.

What is sad is I am a true Android fanboy (well fan oldman :)) and I would have waited the 2 months for them to get it right the first time. Siri is kickbutt, but not enough to get me to switch.

Motorola, we would have waited for you to get it right, please never ever do that again.

AdamNJ77

Reaction score
I tried 5.7.893 but there was a huge problem for me. I record a lot of video but the camcorder has a bug. When you press the record button, it stops focusing while recording with the camcorder. When you stop recording you can see it focus again. It focuses COMPLETELY perfect, but the second you hit that red record button, it no longer focuses until you hit the stop recording button. It SUX, because I LOVE everything else, including the focusing which is MUCH improved, just NOT WHILE actually recording lol

raistian77

Reaction score
It might be a hardware problem Adam, I used my camcorder function today at a veterans day parade and recorded an hour straight. No problems at all.

Like you I tend to use the camera and camcorder alot, it almost made me take the Bionic back when I had to wait 10 seconds for it to take a picture.

AdamNJ77

Reaction score
Huh, strange, I just received this one as a replacement in the mail for another problem on Thursday. The Camcorder focus works well on 5.5.893, the stock .886 it came with, Liberty ROM. It is ONLY the 5.7.893 one. I am Currently using Shift3r 2.2 base and the camcorder works fine

Last edited:

raistian77

Reaction score
is you 5.7.893 in a rom? or just stock gingerbread updated to 5.7.893?

i am not running any roms just updated the stock GB to the last update (and rooted to freeze the bloat of course)

could be the rom is faulty